How long is too long?

Username: Littlericky

Springfield, VA USA

Post Number: 2
I have two stereo systems with two separate receivers. I want to be able to run the signal from one system into the other using RCA cable going from the tape line out of the upstairs receiver to an aux input on the downstairs receiver.

The total cable length measures out to about 25 feet. I've always thought that there's a limit to how long you can run line-level signals.

How can I tell if I am pushing this limit? Should I look for warning signs like the source receiver heating up - or anything like that? Am I likely to pick up ambient radio frequencies? If so, can they be filtered without significant loss?

If I do this, I will buy cable and solder RCA plugs to both ends. What kind of cable should I use? I'm not asking about Monster cable or some over-priced gimmick in a glossy package. I'm talking about the material, type (coax?), shielding, and gauge of cable that's going to handle a line-level signal over 25 feet.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Lester
Unregistered guest
Most of the time, I use a 22awg, 2 pair, individually shielded cable. You can solder or crimp RCA's on to each pair. You can also use RG-59, solid copper coax.
RG-6/RG-6 quad with copper coated steal will also work.
Locate a custom A/V installer in your area and ask to purchase some "bulk", pre wire, shielded audio cable.

Oh, 25'?.... no problem!

L.

Username: Littlericky

Springfield, VA USA

Post Number: 6
Thanks for your help, Lester. I can't wait to try it!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us