Need help in identifying a theme that has haunted me for years

Bronze Member
Username: Ojophile

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 26
Greetings, ecoustics forum members:

I've been searching for the title and composer of this melody that I heard more than 20 years ago in a Kodak commercial about "keeping memories alive...". The melody is still fresh in my mind after all these years. I've played this melody so many times in so many different ways. It continues to haunt me to this day, and I hope there's someone out there who might be able to solve this mystery.

I wrote the notation, added my own chords, scanned the sheet and posted it here:

I'd appreciate your taking the time to look at the piece and play it. Who knows, it just might ring a 'musical' bell in you.

Thank you, everyone.

Cheers!
Don

Silver Member
Username: Ghiacabriolet

NC

Post Number: 257
Don,

Unfortunately, I'm no musician and can't play the song. But, I may have an idea of the song. Was the commercial the one where it goes through the scenes of a little girl growing up? If so, the song may be "Turn Around" and was composed by Harry Belafonte and Malvina Reynolds.

I found a midi of it on the net.

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 33
Hi, Ghia.

Thanks for taking the time to follow-up on this thread. The commercial was more than 20 years ago, but I recall the scene as that of a young girl on top of a grassy hill with arms spread, spinning 'round and 'round, and the camera zooms out while the theme plays. There's this Stone Phillips-like voiceover (don't you love/hate this guy's style --- that's another thread, perhaps) about "memories..."; can' remember the exact lines.

Unfortunately, the midi link is not quite what I was looking for. But thanks again for the suggestion. Will post more in other threads.

Hope you had a good weekend.

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 37
John A,

Thanks to you and Mrs. A. for following-up on this thread. The melody does have a touch of Henry Mancini, that sweeping, fluid melody with a descending chromatic pattern. It is beautiful but not effusively sentimental. If it had lyrics, I wouldn't be surprised if they were by Johnny Mercer. And I bet my Kozel brew that the lyrics would be, er, ... lyrical.

Silver Member
Username: Ghiacabriolet

NC

Post Number: 282
Ojo,

Have you tried contacting Kodak? Someone on another forum said they found out about a commercial song by contacting them. Here's a link:

Contact Kodak

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 41
Thanks, Ghia, for the link. I sent them an e-mail this afternoon. Will wait and see.

Ciao,
Don

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 547
Don,

Isn't amazing how the most simple solution often evades us?

Silver Member

Post Number: 548
And the same goes with simple grammar!

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 45
My Rantz,

Thereyougoagainreadingwithoutyourglasses

Silver Member

Post Number: 553
....YEP....

Bronze Member
Username: Culp4684

Post Number: 41
Ojo-

Did you ever find out what this was?

For some reason, Paul Anka comes to mind. Something about the "Times of your Life"...

Oh well, just my input...

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 56
Robert,

No, not yet. The Paul Anka song that you're referring to is (or was) a Kodak song that begins with the line, "Good morning, yesterday...". However, it's not the tune that I'm looking for. I did try to contact Kodak and described the commercial as I remember it, and sent them the URL to my posted theme. They replied by saying that they didn't have such "memories" commercial in their archives. So now, I'm thinking that maybe it was an ad from another company.

I'll keep searching. I played it for my jazz piano teacher this evening. He said he'd ask around.

Thanks for asking. Cheers!

Brother Pat
Unregistered guest
I recall the commerical and song. I used to see every Sunday evening while watching The Wonderful World of Disney. It was indeed a song used to sell Kodak film back in the late 50's and early 60's.

Username: Zengirl41

Post Number: 1
Hi, I've been thinking about your song and it seems to be right on the tip of my tongue, but I can't quite remember it. There is a site which sells different compilations of vintage tv ad songs. You could send them an email about it at:

retro@retrofilm.com

Here is a link to their website. I bet they are experts and might even be able to recall it off the top of their heads.

http://www.retrofilm.com/tvcommercials.html

For many years I recall Kodak's motto was "For the times of your Life" with the Paul Anka song. As I also recall, but may be mistaken, I thought they at one time used the Elvis Presley song "Memories" possibly with someone else besides him singing it. But I was just a kid in the 60's (born in 1958) and have been known to jumble things up! :-) Even surprising myself because I was sure something was this way or that! LOL!

Of course this is driving me nuts now, so I'll probably monitor this thread until someone thinks of it.

One other suggestion, TVLand shows a lot of vintage ads. You might watch that channel when possible or even send them an email. Perhaps they have a vintage ads expert who might have someplace to direct you.

Also their are quite a few good tv ad sites you could check out, maybe send them an email. Here are some you might look into:

http://www.tvdvdreviews.com/commercials.html

This one is a library, maybe you could contact the reference desk:

http://www.library.upenn.edu/collections/videos/annen_video_sprdsheet.html

Look for this video:

Best of Broadcast Commercials
From Wine Coolers to Greenpeace 58
54 ads including some from NYNEX, Kodak, Bazooka bubble gum and more
Educational Series VHS

Goodluck

Beth

p.s.Email me if you ever find it! I love a good mystery! I am trying to locate a WWII movie I watched with my Mother in the 60's where the leads were prisoners in a Japanese Prison camp. I've had several other mysteries thoughout the years and the WWII movie is the only unsolved one I have left! For the time being!

Post Number: 2
Don,
Here's another source I came across. They seem to know a lot about commercials. One tape in particular springs out, "485 VINTAGE COMMERCIALS, VI".

They mention the "Turn Around" ad. Has that been totally ruled out by you?

Beth

Post Number: 3
14) KODAK: family in car leave ferryboat and drive to their summer cottage on Cape Cod "Theme for A Summer Place" is music in background film, camera and thoughtfulness

4) KODAK CAMERA: models with Instamatics

22) KODAK: sentimental song, "The Way You Look Tonight" sung in background as nostalgic picture of girl growing up and going out to Senior Prom (Clio winner for 1967)

Some day, when I'm awfully low,
When the world is cold,
I will feel a glow just thinking of you...
And the way you look tonight.
Yes you're lovely, with your smile so warm
And your cheeks so soft,
There is nothing for me but to love you,
And the way you look tonight.
With each word your tenderness grows,
Tearing my fear apart...
And that laugh that wrinkles your nose,
It touches my foolish heart.
Lovely ... Never, ever change.
Keep that breathless charm.
Won't you please arrange it ?
'Cause I love you ... Just the way you look tonight.
Mm, Mm, Mm, Mm,
Just the way you look to-night.
If you have a access to a copy of that Julia Roberts movie "My Best Friend's Wedding" they sing it a lot in that movie as I recall.

I'm sure "A Summer Place" is probablly out on video as well. Or go to Amazon and see if you can find a clip of it.

Beth

Post Number: 4
Okay, here a few more tidbits that might ring a bell for you -- and then I am going to do my dishes! :-)

EASTMAN KODAK In "Daddy's Little Girl," snapshots record a child's life up to her wedding, whereupon no father of daughters can keep from choking up. Sentimental, yet restrained, this J. Walter Thompson Co. masterpiece reminds parents to capture Kodak memories while they can.

Hartman Center for Sales, Advertising, and Marketing History
Duke University's Special Collections Library. The most extensive collection at the Center is the J. Walter Thompson Company Archives, the most comprehensive surviving historical record of any advertising agency. Other holdings include vast files of 19th-20th century advertising, the extensive Wayne P. Ellis Collection of Eastman Kodak Advertising, Sales, and Marketing, and records of the Charles W. Hoyt agency. The web site offers sample images, newsletters sprinkled with more images from the collections and finding aids to the collection.
www.uiowa.edu/~commstud/resources/advertising.html

Joel Colman directed and photographed the industry's most awarded TV commercial, "The Green Green Grass of Home" for Eastman Kodak as well as many other award winning commercials in his long career

The following was a post on a site regarding tv ads, etc.

Any time I hear "Memories...Of a Summer Afternoon..." the soft-weepy-tearjerker music in a commercial, I start looking for the Kodak box in the scene.

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 58
Beth (Zengirl41)

First of all, my apologies for not replying sooner. I've had some problems with my internet connection in the last couple of weeks. The problem was traced to a faulty telephone line and was fixed today. Anyways...

Thank you for all the research you've done. I checked out the links you have provided and tried to see through the information that has been posted in each one. BTW, the link to http://www.rahul.net/cgi-bin/shokus-cgi-bin/shop/cashcart.cgi returns an "invalid transmission #3" --- don't worry about this one.

Ghia Cabriolet had earlier suggested "Turn Around"; however, it wasn't the tune that I had transcribed on my geocities link here (Unknown Theme

"The Way You Look Tonight" is one of Jerome Kern's great song masterpieces. It's a good piece for jazz piano improv.

You certainly love a good mystery! Check out this rather strange occurrence: I heard the theme played as piped-in music (elevator music or Muzak, if you will) at a small shopping arcade a few weeks ago! I had stepped into this one-level arcade to use the ABM, and on my way out, I heard the theme. Although I was in a hurry to get back to my car, I stopped just to confirm whether I had written down the melody correctly. Indeed, I had. Strange coincidence? Were the angels (or devils) playing a practical joke on me?

Anyway, I'll let you know as soon as I find out the title. BTW, I assume you can read music?

Brother Pat, you wrote some sort of a teaser. I assume you also read the music I've transcribed? I hope you weren't referring to the Paul Anka song. If you do find out the title, please let me know.

Cheers and thanks for all your input. Much appreciated.

Don

Unregistered guest
Found your search while I was looking for the same commercial to show my 18 year old daughter. I know the melody and will put it into Noteworthy software to play. Some of the words are:
Where are you going, my little one, little one,
Where are you going out on your own,
Turn around, turn around, turn around and you're a ???, - then different endings for each verse, last of which is "babes of your own"
Tears well up each time I think of the commercial.

Howard O

Unregistered guest
If anyone wants the complete lyrics to "Turn Around" I can post. Don't have with me right now but can get. Love that theme, putting together video for daughters wedding and using that theme with video and still of her.

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 60
Thanks, Howard O, for the info. However, as I indicated previously, "Turn Around" is not the title of the theme that I'm searching for. I've heard that song before.

I've posted the notation for the "unknown" theme here:
http://www.geocities.com/ojophile/unknown_theme.html

To anyone who reads music, I'd appreciate your taking the time to browse the page and play it on your instrument of choice.

Cheers!
Don

Ironfin
Unregistered guest
Have you by chance found the title to your song?

Here's a long shot, but it just might be one of the songs on this site -

http://www.keepsakevideo.com/photo_montage_songs.htm

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 132
Ironfin,

Sorry for the late reply. I've nearly abandoned this thread, having given up on any leads.

Thanks for the link; however, the tune that I'm looking for isn't in the list.

Cheers!
Don

Silver Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 205
Don: are you sure your tune isn't "The Bear Went Over the Mountain?" (double grin)

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 159
Larry,

No, it's not that. I think the title is, "Who Is This Dork That Wants To Marry My Daughter?"
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 223
You know, Don - a long time ago, after very careful thought and very careful dousing with Scotch - I determined (and have proven it many times since) that nearly ALL classical music is based on either "Greensleeves" or "The Bear Went Over the Mountain."
Try it for yourself - and see how often one or the other theme fits! With lubrication, natch!
(grin)

Johnny B
Unregistered guest
Times of your life by Paul Anka. You can search for Paul Anka on Amazon.com , Five Decades Greatest Hits album, and listen to a sample to make sure it's the one.

Unregistered guest
Hi folks. I was looking for the "Turn" midi and lyrics when I finally found it on this site. During my search, I think I may have found the tune you are looking for (The Times Of Your Life)on this site: http://www.theguitarguy.com/timesofy.htm
Hope this helps. Not sure how to contact the person looking for this info so please pass along this message if you can.

Silver Member

Take the Eh Train to g...

Post Number: 286
No, it's neither "Times of Your Life" nor "Turn". Here again is the sheet music. This is my own notation as I recall the music.

http://www.geocities.com/donrx1/Unknown_tune.jpg

DJJD
Unregistered guest
I came upon your thread as I was looking for the title and artist of the song "Turn Around" to be used for a Bride/Dad dance at a wedding I'll be DJing soon. "Turn Around" was a guess at the title to a song the chorus to which is "...turn around and you're two [four, ten, etc.]..." as described previously. The artist names I've found for recordings of this song have been The Brandywine Singers, John McCutcheon, Rosalie Sorrels, and Kenny Loggins. "Turn Around" was composed by Malvina Reynolds and Harry Belafonte, although, oddly, not recorded by them (odd, since they are both recording artists). If I could read music I could tell you if it was the same song, but if I could read music I wouldn't be a DJ. Anyway, I'm trying to find the recorded version for the young bride.

Anonymous

Wait - I think you missed the end of the posting by

Elizabeth White Matsuyama (Username: Zengirl41)Posted on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 12:22 am:

The following was a post on a site regarding tv ads, etc.

Any time I hear "Memories...Of a Summer Afternoon..." the soft-weepy-tearjerker music in a commercial, I start looking for the Kodak box in the scene.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1241

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 214
Moon River!

Is it that one, 20 years is a long time though...

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 215
Was it pop or was it classical music if its classical music then go on line and listen to Classicfm live via windows media or other type of media hardware.

http://www.classicfm.com/index.cfm?nodeId=35&cset=1&sw=1024

At this point in time right now I am leistering to Natalie Wheen wow there is a whole lot of music classical and tonight Simon bates and classicfm at the movies from 6pm British time.

You may hear that peace of music that's been hunting you for the past 20 years...

Happy leistering...

mbhorne
Unregistered guest
I found a website that states that it was Michael Bolton that sang the song "Daddy's Little Girl" for the 1989 Eastman Kodak commercial. My husband loved that commercial and wants to play the song at our daughters' weddings.

Unregistered guest
The song is called Turn Around. The Harry Belafonte singing version is available through Bearshare.com by searching in the Audio/MP3 files. I used this music in a video I produced for my sister who is ill.

Unregistered guest
I may be late to this conversation but I think the song you are looking for was written by Paul Anka and I believe the title is "Remember Yesterday." The lyrics start "Remember yesterday? The seasons go passing one by one." The commercial ran in the early '70s.

Post Number: 5
Don,
Did you ever find the song you were looking for? I did find a clip of the song "Daddy's Little Girl" you can listen to. Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BB18S6

I think about you every once in a while when I get newsletters from ecoustics!

Did I ever mention also, that there is an entire book published about one Kodak commercial that aired. It won a lot of awards. I wonder if that is the ad you are referencing that has the tune. I'll see if I can dig up the title of the book.

Post Number: 6
I forgot to mention - I did finally put a title to the WWII movie I had been trying to name since the 1960's! It is called "Flight from Ashiya". I even found a copy of it for sale on ebay. Sure, enough it wsa the one! another mystery solved. I also managed to locate my step-nieces who I kind of lost when my brother and their mother got divorced. They were little girls when I last saw them, are now all grown up and are doing great. So, don't give up just yet! I wish I could read music and play the tune in my head, but can't. Any way you can record a little clip of the tune on a keyboard and post it somewhere or send it to me? If I heard it I might be able to come up with something.

Beth

Post Number: 7
How about this one:

40) KODAK CAMERA AND Film: "Is this the little girl I carried"--little boy and girl grow up and marry--romantic with Fiddle on the Roof music sung: "Sunrise, Sunset" song--proud reflective father at daughter's wedding

This is a very famous song. It would be ironic if this was the song, because I had it sung at my own wedding!

You can listen to a clip of it at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002WB3

just have to scroll down to the "Listen to samples" section

Post Number: 8
Yet, another possibility: Kodak "Advantix Camera"
Music used: Bobby Darin - Beautiful Things (more info)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/samples/B0000033OJ

check it out if you'd like. You might have to click on listen to all songs on this cd, then scroll down to find "Beautiful things"

Post Number: 9
Bibi Farber, "Shine"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000IMHR

Post Number: 10
How about also,
"Across the Universe" by the Beatles from the Let it be album
It was also in a Kodak commercial.

Username: Radioman970

Wow! This thread has been going on for years. I was googling for "Times of you life" midi and came across this forum.

The link above to a song called "Turn Around" actually sounds like the song called "Jean" by Oliver (who also sang "Good morning Starshine" from the musical HAIR). I don't think is is though.

Username: Radioman970

Oh, just in case anybody is interested, there's a very well produced karaoke version of "Times of your Life" here...

I haven't been able to find it available to purchase as a single.

Bronze Member
Username: Jazzwannabe

Post Number: 23
Hi, Elizabeth

First of all, I apologize for not replying sooner to your posts. I rarely visit this forum as there's hardly time to do so. But I did read your posts only recently and visited the links that you had included.

Many have suggested Anka's "Times of Your Life" and "Turn", but unfortunately, those aren't the titles I'm looking for. I've posted the excerpt of the mystery tune on geocities.com for anyone who can read music to see and play it on their instrument of their choice. If you know anyone who can read music, please ask them to either play or hum it for you. I'm not sure anymore if the tune was really used in a Kodak commercial as this was a long, long time ago.

I'll try to record it when I find the time, but meanwhile, if you can send the link to anyone you know that can read music, I'd appreciate it.

Click here to view the music:
strike{http://www.geocities.com/donrx1/Unknown_tune.jpg}

That's as much as I recall the tune and the voicings (chord progressions). I wrote the notes on a music sheet a long time ago and sent the scanned image to my musician friends but somehow, the tune eludes them.

Again, thanks for all the research and the links you've provided. The same goes to others who have responded with similar suggestions.

Take care and I hope you're enjoying what's left of the summer.

Don
(a.k.a. Don RX-1 and ojophile)

Username: Sadiakhanum

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_commercial/15010/

Username: Austinmomma

I know the tune....

aaah
aaaaah
aaah aaah
yep. I'm no musician. But it has haunted me too. I know this is a super old thread. But I came across it because I was looking for the song.
I remember seeing fujifilm for the first time around that time. Either saw the commercial aired in Florida or Chicago tv.
But it was just music if I remember right ...and haunting.
If you ever figure it out...please share.

Username: Ultravox

This has been driving me nuts too!

Could it be "They Can't Take That Away From Me"? I remember that song in an old Kodak commercial...

Username: Jim_rooks

Acworth, Georgia

The song was "Green, green grass of home" and was sung by Tom Jones. A young soldier steps off a bus and is greeted by his mom and dad and Mary, shown swinging in a tree swing. One of the most beautiful, heartfelt, sentimental musical videos I have ever seen. Unfortunately, Kodak was forced to remove it due to number of people who felt that it glorified war. I contacted Kodak many years ago and tried to get a copy but never heard from them.

Username: Njoynj

Whiting, New Jersey USA

I am here to RESCUE ALL OF YOU & I hope the "Original Seeker" of this song SEES THIS:
--> This emotional tear jerker song indeed WAS titled "Turn Around" but NOT by The Vogues, THE Version YOU ALL WANT is:
TURN AROUND by Harry Belafonte, Malvina Reynolds & Alan Greene, 1957, a.k.a. "Where Are You Going?" The artist singing is Ed Ames,
(1) Here is a link to the Actual ORIGINAL COMMERCIAL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBWVWjdNWC0
and (2) here are the lyrics:

Where are you going, my baby, my own?
Turn around and you're two,
Turn around and you're four,
Turn around and you're a young girl going out of my door.
Turn around, turn around,
Turn around and you're a young girl going out of my door.

Little dirndls and petticoats, where have you gone?
Turn around and you're tiny,
Turn around and you're grown,
Turn around and you're a young wife with babes of your own.
Turn around, turn around,
Turn around and you're a young wife with babes of your own.

Was I right? ...or... Was I RIGHT!!!
At least, I hope this helps ... if not,
I hope it touches your heart & makes you tear-up wistfully ... Please Enjoy!

Username: Njoynj

Whiting, New Jersey USA

I did not realize there were so many Kodak moments but their advertising sure did work if so many of us were so deeply touched that we "need" to go back & visit those wistful, endearing moments! God Bless Us Tender-Hearts!!

Username: Causewayboy

don, i cannot access nor see your file but the kodak commercial u were taking about might be henry mancini�s �dream of a lifetime�

Bronze Member
Username: Leonwoods

Post Number: 13
Kodak commercial was very good!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts