Archive through February 24, 2011

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24207
Transporter 3.

Blah lol. IMO it's the worst of the bunch. Way too many unbelievable scenes and a plot that seems to revolve around Mr. Statham's physique. I watched it and was left with an empty feeling.

Glad to complete the series but was very disappointed with this film.

Ummm, 5/10 stars?

Gold Member
Username: Mrskullz1

New York

Post Number: 1959
yea 5/10 sounds about right. It was nothing compared to the second movie which was nothing compared to the first movie lol.

He is making a new movie coming out, The Mechanic. Looks like another action packed Transporter type movie. Probably will go check it out.

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1411
American Gangster and Public Enemies were both great movies IMO.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24213
Yes I enjoyed them thoroughly. For the price I paid for them I consider them diamonds in the rough.

Tonight I'll step back a few decades and watch a classic. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

I'm all tingly lol.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1991
A limited budget forbids just getting all the movies I'd like.

Tonight, however, I spotted 'District 9' and just tucked it in the cart.

Perhaps an 'adult' version of 'Alien Nation' with no idea what the aliens think. But they DO enjoy Alpo, which is half the battle.
I'll give this movie 8 1/2 stars on the 'Ecoustics 10 point scale' and hope that part II is just as good. They are coming back, and they aren't going to be pleased with how things shook out for those who were marooned at this awful stellar pit stop.

Any takers?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24214
Seen the original and liked it just didn't thrill me.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1998
D9 is not for all tastes. Slow, perhaps. Paced? Unconventional in treatment of aliens? Maybe they are 'hive' oriented? Here to colonize us?

I just like scifi that doesn't play to 'type'. The sorta...documentary style also was a plus.
And that poor schmuck who 'converted'? I think he'll be back in part II.

I'll watch it again in a few days. I'll see how it 'wears'.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1960
I enjoyed every minute of D9. That poor schmuck did some good acting - seriously. The ending may have left you hanging a bit, but I was fine with that, hoping of course that a second part would come out. That movie is definitely not for everyone but IMO one of the better alien themed movies that I have seen.

In this movie, they were pretty much controlling most of the aliens. Who knows? The next part might be the other way back where more aliens come and take over lol.

I did see this movie twice and liked it both times. I'll give it an 8/10 on the official Ecoustics 10 point scale

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1961
Also saw Black Swan last night. Definitely not worth the trip to the theaters. I'm leaving this movie up in the air. This movie didn't appeal to me as much as i thought it would. Maybe i wasn't in the mood to watch this sort of movie at the moment.

Movie got really good reviews all around. It is categorized at a psychological thriller, and that it definitely it. I guess there are several different interpretations of the movie, but one is the most common and probable. I won't say it because I don't want to spoil the movie. I would say that is worth the watch (wait for it on DVD or TV if you can). Probably the best scene in the movie was the intimacy between Portman and Kunis. Too bad they kept the movie rated R, wouldn't mind seeing this in MA lol.

Overall I would give it a 6/10. It was long, slow, and unexpected (the bad way).

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24218

quote:

Overall I would give it a 6/10

Not a movie I would like to see lol, or at least pay for. Well, maybe on a rainy Saturday.

Honorable mention tonight goes to "13 Conversations About One Thing."

I love the symmetry and message the movie delivers. Yes it's 10 years old but I was drawn in by the trailer. It just forced me to buy it. I HAD to see what it was all about. Glad I did. Not a ground breaker or blockbuster but just a good feeling kind of movie.

Don't look for action, adventure or high tech anything, just a good film about our own self and what we truly want in life.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2008
Saw a couple Peter Sellers movies tonight. From his earlier work.
Heavens Above! and Two Way Stretch.
Both are early '60s and are from the era after the British learned to make a movie American's could understand.....the dialogue, that is.
No Clouseau type slapstick, kind of serious but plenty of fun.

I'm going to look into more Seller's work. He always wanted to be a dramatic star.
His 3x roles in 'Dr Strangelove'.....are classic and they apparently wanted him to also play the part given to Slim Pickins.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24225
I used to love watching The Pink Panther. Mr. Sellers had a charm like no other. I would tag team watching him and Benny Hill, just to sneak in a little dirty humor outside of my parent's eyes lol.

Went on a mission to find The Blues Brothers and came up short. Been hankering to watch it again. That and Animal House. Both classics.

So I settled on a few inside the $5 bins. One was a shocker seeing as it was priced at $20 just before the holidays.

Rock n Rolla
Chaos/Bank Job. A Jason Statham 2 movie combo deal.
Wyatt Earp
Sherlock Homes. The latest one with Robert Downey Jr.

Not bad for $25.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2010
Good job for 25$ The Downey take on Holmes wasn't bad at all. Too much action and not enough deduction, though. I doubt a modern movie audience could sit thru Sherlock's drug problems and poor Violin playing.

The local Fry's has 'em all. During the Holiday season they put out 3 or 4 shopping carts of movies per day. And the carts? Heaped up so you can't see over the top. HUNDREDS of movies per cart.

Paul, if you have a list, ship it over and I'll make a run for 'ya. I'll send prices before I 'do the deed'. This place has a couple thousand titles....than a few 'bargain bins'.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24226
You know sadly I've been reading that DVDs, even as young a technology it is in perspective, will soon be a dead one. With as fast as advancement in new media storage is becoming it makes anyone shudder at the $$ they've spent on collections on VHS, cassette, laser disc or even cd that will ultimately be worth zilch. As I struggle now with my battle of replacing my movie collection into DVD format I have to step back and wonder...........just why? I'm doomed to keep up this silly cycle forever.

With tomorrow's viewers downloading their content or streaming it live they will wonder why we even tried to have physical copies of anything. It's only a click away, why bother?

For now though, at least for the moment, I'll indulge myself.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2012
Some people...myself included like to OWN software, not rent it.

Remember the original DVIX fiasco?

That is the downside to TIVO and the like. You can store stuff, but just try to get it to permanent media.
Anyone know how? If I get an external HD attached to my receiver, can I move the drive to my confuser and copy it over? OR do they have it 'tied' up?

Once 'ownership' formats have been either obsoleted or made illegal, the 'owers' of the stuff will pretty much charge whatever they want.
Movie ticket prices? A JOKE...and now with the wacky world of 3-D out of the dream stage, you'll be paying for THAT, too.
My movie going has dropped about 80% or more. Popcorn? Ridiculous price for about 0.20$ worth of stuff.

People without fast connections are rapidly being 'left out'....

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1962
It's definitely not impossible to extract from TIVO. Here is a short method on how you can get that stuff over to your computer. Once it's on your computer, I'm sure we can find a way to burn it on to a DVD.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7441804_extract-tivo.html

By the way, do you know what format it is being recorded in?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24227
I'm a fan of "ownership" too and like having my collection to physically look at myself as well. I understand the whole angle of saving millions of tons of materials used and the manufacturing time it takes in producing said media but like you said Leo, I don't want to see a world where EVERYTHING is digitally produced and fed to consumers in a dictatorship state either.

Take for example the latest Youtube craze, Ted Williams. The homeless guy with the fabulous voice? That vid got over 6 million views in 48 hours. Great story that will certainly end well for him. Well that vid was so popular that it got downloaded by the associated press and redistributed across the world on various news agencies who in turn copy-writed the vid. The ORIGINAL video was then removed due to violation of Youtube's copy-write policies.

Imagine that. Having something beautiful to share stolen right out from underneath you thanks to the digital world.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16462
im going to watch the town next....I just watched wall street 2 which was just ok and resident evil after life which was decent....keep the recommendations coming guys

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24228
You'll like The Town, I did.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16463
I see what you meant about the ending but the movie was decent....I have gun the back up plan unthinkable and the social network to watch yet

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16464
well unthinkable was decent the gun looked dumb back up plan was ok but i didnt no what it was and social network was just ok

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2014
Want a 'classic movie nite'?

Check out 'The Caine Mutiny'.

Bogart, and MORE. See Link.

This is a SOLID 10 point* movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046816/

*Ecoustics scale

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24232
Makes me wonder how yesterday's actors would fair in today's world with special effects and all its' technology.

Yet, you respect them more so because they did what they did without the "help". At least I do.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24233
BTW, Chaos is a bust so far. Just another action spoof using a couple of well know actors (Wesley Snipes and Jason Statham) to carry an old story/script into another money making bit. Not happening for me as of yet. I'm betting the ending is as predictable as the story thus far. Might be wrong.

Took a break to put the boy to bed. Final verdict later.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2017
Before mass 'special effects', WRITERS were king. Actors could compete for coveted roles.
For example, Bogart really wanted to play Cpt. Queeg. He let that be known, and apparently took a pretty good pay cut for the privilege.
Effects? Can be used as a crutch for poor writing. 'Well, we ran out of story, so we threw in a couple explosions while we thought of something else'.

The Caine Mutiny I wrote about, does have some effects scenes. The exterior shots of the ship in the typhoon don't stand up to modern standards, but who cares? It's the story and the jeopardy the ship is in which makes it interesting, not cool footage.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24237
Agreed. Yet some films of today REVOLVE around the effects. Take Avatar for example. The "story" was written years ago but Cameron decided to hold off on production until the technology existed to pull off on screen what he wanted. Paid off for him.

Heck, with as fast as they move with CGI improvements and other enhancements it shouldn't be too long before the actor himself is replaced on screen. Some people say "No way! I would never fall for it."

Sorry to burst yer bubble dudes but most of what you see now on screen is enhanced or digitally created. Imagine 15 years from now when the Iphone is considered a relic and films like Avatar are made within weeks, not years. Step back and take a look at the tech curve over the last 20 years.

You can try to comprehend and extrapolate the future but..............it just makes my head hurt lol.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2022
An acquaintance of mine appeared in a few episodes of LOST. some of the fight scenes were 100% CGI in the sense there were real actors doing 'real' stuff, but the backgrounds and detail were added later.

This technique is so common today that many shots we think would be 'location' stuff are simply studio and computer.

It will be possible fairly soon to make an original movie starring dead people. And NO I don't mean Bea Arthur.

Avatar? I thought of that AFTER I made my post! Yep, an entire world in the computer.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24241
Sherlock Holmes was quite entertaining. I enjoyed it. Mostly for Robert's attempt at the witty English accent he needed to nail for his role to fly. It did for me. Lots of action and a good story. I half expected this one to roll off as another cookie cutter film piggybacking off a current superstar but it ended up much more than that. An outstanding value for $5.

I'm happy.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24243
Picked up only 2 today. The Book of Eli and Four Brothers. Been waiting for Eli to come down in price before I took the plunge. Been waiting for months too. $13 was my magic number for this highly raved movie. I new I had to see it but wasn't paying $20 for it though. Four Brothers was a $5 bin special that caught my eye. We'll see.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24244
Book of Eli was fantastic. I absolutely love this film and recommend it to anyone. It has a great story and script. As always Denzel struts his stuff and pulls off a great performance.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2030
Book of Eli kind of left me with mixed feelings.
Yes, Denzel was great. The villian? Pretty awful guy.
Society barely hanging on. Some pretty awful stuff came down to get 'em where they were.

But, I'd seen much of it before. The old 'looking for the wizard' story. On a trek to the last holdout of civilization.
I just wish it'd handn't turned into a pat action / scifi movie. Person as book? While I 'didn't see that coming', I'd seen in before in 'Fahrenheit 451'. Wacky people eating visitors? See that in 'A Boy And His Dog'....(Don Johnson early role.....Great SciFi.)

So, I'll give 'Book of Eli' only 7+1/2 stars on the Ecoustics 10 point scale. That being said, I'd also recommend it. But only to those I know like good scifi. My brother for example? NOT on the list. He likes sappy movies.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24246
Well the film forced me to compare it (even if slightly) to Waterworld. Concepts are the same and you see a world divided by those looking to survive and the ones looking to dominate. Same evil villains, same resourceful lone wolves.

One common denominator was the commodity of fresh water. In either scenario I still find it odd that such an item be so scarce. Also the fact, in both films, that gasoline engines are still widely used, and running well lol. In Eli it's been 31 years since the "day" and in Waterworld one has to assume 100+? I can't get gas to last two seasons in my shed for my lawnmower yet these guys have 30+ year old gas without issue?

Eh, I'm just picking them apart.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2038
Like 'end of the world' movies?
Check out 'The Last Man On Earth'. Good Vincent Price stuff
This is the earliest version of 'I Am Legend'.....1964?

And good for a laugh and a good looking babe,
Yep, 'A Boy And His Dog', based on the Harlan Ellison novella.
Ellison is a noted SciFi author. This is an early Don Johnson role and had a dog which should have gotten an Oscar. Jason Robards is the heavy.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24255
Heard of Boy and His Dog but haven't seen it.

Mr. Price indeed has done quite a lot in his time. Very iconic of his time.

My 10 year old son surprised me a bit last night. He wanted to watch Inception which at first I was against. Ultimately he won the battle and ignored my warnings that he wouldn't understand the movie and would quickly get bored. Son of a gun actually followed it and LIKED the movie! We watched the last 20 minutes together and I was taken back by his grasp of the story and all the symbolism. He understood the "kicks" and all the dream levels and was so full of questions it baffled me. Even I had to watch it a 2nd time to fully grasp the film. The only part I had to coach him on was the very last scene with the spinning totem.

Youngsters today catch on pretty quick lol.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2040
Both my nieces were running a VCR as soon as they could walk.
Younger niece was watching action / horror films before she could even talk....and oooh! ing and ahhhh! ing in mostly the right places.
This ended up to be the one with the Chuckie Doll on her bed.

Scared her once, pretty good, too. Showed her 'The Legend of Hell House' starring Pamela Franklin and Roddy McDowell. Only ONE tiny bit of blood....but NO graphic guts or dismemberment or sex.
The ONE attempted r*pe, by a ghost was terrifying. I think I finally found the little wretch's limit.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24256
My son doesn't do horror. He tried but it gave him nightmares something fierce. Snakes on a Plane kept him up for days. Zombieland however, thrilled him. I suppose due to the comical nature of it. I suggested he watch Shaun of The Dead then. BAD move lol. This movie failed to get even a giggle out of him.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24261
Four Brothers. I'm at a crossroads with this one to tell you the truth. The story is there......baaaam! The script and screenplay fall well short IMO. Given the actors on hand I still put this inside the 7-8 out of 10 on our Ecoustics scale. The movie is well worth watching but not a top shelf pick. I always love any role Mark Wahlberg plays so this was an easy pick for me but the movie wasn't at all a top ten anything,

P.S. Worth the $5 I spent on it though.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2041
Snakes On A Plane? One of my favorites. If I ever get BlueRay, it's on the list.

Now:: A SOaP trivia question:

When a couple folk were getting backed into the galley, what button did they push on the microwave?
Extra points if you don't have to look it up or simply guess. Only if you KNOW.
I spotted it watching the DVD here at the house....my niece (see above) wanted us to see it. They didn't believe me and 'backed' up and did a single frame. Bless OPPO.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24274
Well my son watched the movie over at his Mother's and I have never seen it so I guess I'm out lol.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16474
I liked snakes on a plane and i wasnt expecting much but it was decent

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2052
I guess it just caught me right. I loved it.

Still waiting for some answers to 'what button did they push on the microwave?'.

The answer'll make you laugh.

What do I have to do? Award Prizes, for Pete's sake?

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1968
Saw The Green Hornet last night. Was a pretty decent movie. Not as funny as I was expecting but did deliver some good laughs. I honestly think that if they had replaced the 'Asian' guy with the 'Asian' guy from Harold and Kumar, it would have been funnier. At times it was hard to understand what he was saying.....but whatever. Doable.

7/10 on our Ecoustic's scale

I think I will be taking a break from the movie theater for a while. These ticket prices are starting to get to me. ESPECIALLY 3-D!!! $16.50 per ticket last night for Green Hornet. Unbelievable!! The worst part was that this movie did NOT, just like 90% of other 3D movies, need to be 3D. It's a stupid money making gimmick and i'm starting to refuse to watch movies at the theaters unless i absolutely 'want' to. The regular price is about $12. It's pushing it but can be worth the experience at times. But close to $17 for a fugged up movie which gives you nothing but migraines after watching it in 3D with those retarded glasses is a little bit too much.

/rant

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1969
Leo, I had absolutely no idea what you were talking about.....so I googled it.
LOL is all I have to say. How did you catch that?

Friggin hillarious. It's on Youtube as well.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24284
Lol, I had to google it too! Producers sneak in tid bits like that all the time. I won't cheat Leo and reveal it since I never saw the film. I'm like that.

Skullz the price of movie tickets had become a problem years ago. It's an inflation that doesn't equal the cost of living by like 300%. I easily remember $4.95 on Friday/Saturday nights! I won't pay $17 for a movie ticket even if it comes with an autograph from the stars themselves. The industry (cinema) is choking itself and will just spiral out of control.

Came home with 7 tonight. Mainly $5 finds but some decent ones at that. Mostly for the kids.

Jumanji
Liar Liar
Kindergarten Cop
Year One
Jackass 2.5 Unrated
The Happening
Max Payne

Ok I admit The Happening came with horrible reviews but even a bad movie comes with an education I suppose. It forces you to appreciate better films. Max Payne because I like Mr. Wahlberg. Year One just because.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1971
Jackass 2.5 fot the kids? and UNRATED? i think that must have been for you lol

Yes, The Happening was a horrible flick. Every other movie on the list I enjoyed watching. I think you spent well over a hundred bucks over the past couple of months just on movies lol

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24285
Much more so considering some I paid full price for as a new release. Heck the special collector's edition Avatar was $30 alone. Each of the Twilight movies were $20 a pop too. I literally added 100 movies since the beginning of last fall. So we're looking at $700+?

I keep this up I'm going to need a bigger house lol.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2055
Some exterior shots in Jumanji were shot in Keene NH.
the main street thru town, if I remember correctly, is Really Wide.
Nice college town in a very scenic area.
Just thought I'd toss that in.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24287
Cool. I did not know that.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2061
'The Kings Speech'.

Incredible movie. MUST SEE.
I don't know if this is 'slice of life' or 'Docudrama' or what, but it was engaging from beginning to end with terrific performances by ALL.
Brush up on recent history...from mid '30s on, so you'll know who is who. One of the children? The future Queen Elizabeth.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16492
hmm

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24301
Watched Max Payne, again. Good movie just not worth standing up and shouting out about. I don't know about this one, it just falls into the cracks as a beefed up B movie.

Ecoustics scale? 6/10 stars?

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1974
6/10 seems about right. Could have been a better movie but I'm not complaining. It entertained and graphics weren't as bad as other movies.

Unfortunately, my promise not to go to the movie theaters didn't last too long lol. Was in the theater on Friday and saw No Strings Attached (i didn't pay for ticket, but it still count's as the theater made it's $$). Anyways, that movie was funny. It had a decent amount of laughs and would see it again at home.

7.5/10

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1471
Not sure if anyone has posted this movie yet, I didn't look through all the posts on here, but I just got finished watching "The Town". It was a really good movie. Action packed, suspenseful, everything an entertaining movie should be. If you havn't seen it yet I'd recommend it. Definitely worth seeing.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24325
Yup, been done. It is indeed a good movie.

Thank you movie goer soldier.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16519
yup i liked it too

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24329
Just saw Unforgiven for the first time. Great movie. I liked both Eastwood and Hackman's performances. A good ole western never fails to draw interest. I give it an 8/10 stars. I know it's an older film but oddly never seen it.

Next up? Who knows?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24330
Forgive me fellow movie goers but I just saw Unforgiven a couple days ago for the first time. Outstanding. I was never a western type movie follower so I just never considered it. I have Wyatt Earp on deck as well. The story was very addicting and the acting from all supporting staff was second to none. Again anything from Clint is a no brainer IMO so this I give a 8.5/10 on our scale.

Watching a movie now "A walk in the clouds". It's a surprisingly warm movie I liked years ago on VHS that I wanted on DVD. Saw it today at Kmart for $4. A WWII vet comes home from battle expecting to see his wife but instead stumbles over (and falls in love with) a beautiful woman who is a daughter of a long established vineyard owner. After he discovers his wife has other plans with their "marriage" he decides to act. As simply as I can state it, it's a beautiful and warm movie.

It doesn't hurt to like wine I might add lol.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1979
The Mask - an instant classic.

Incase you haven't seen it, it's a must watch of Jim's work.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2079
The Unforgiven may take place in the 'west' but I don't consider it a Western....or at least in the traditional sense.
In a regular western, you could tell the good guys from the bad guys by hat color, for example.
The Unforgiven is a very complex movie. The 'lawman' Hackman is as corrupt as he is strict. Clint just wants to save the farm, and is willing to revisit a part of his life he'd rather have left in the past. The 'Ladies of the Night'? Not bad or evil, just in a bad spot, doing what they can to survive. After all, a town needs only 1 schoolmarm and once 'soiled' marriage is a long-shot.

I didn't see much typecasting or stereotyping in this movie, either.

My 3/4 wit brother took my mother too see it, figuring, 'Heck, it's a WESTERN for Pete's sake!' Well, poor ma, was horrified when within the first few minutes a hooker is violently assaulted and mutilated. Pretty strong stuff.

IF A Walk In The Clouds is what I'm thinking of, it is a sappy movie I can get behind. I'll look it up later and confirm. If I found it for 4$, I'd pick it up, too.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24331
Seen and have The Mask Skullz. One of Jim's earliest movies and also one of his best in a break out sense. The kids love his witty charm and unique comedic style.

A Walk in The Clouds? Like I said it's a very good feeling type film. Also one of Keanu Reeves first romantic rolls after his wild ride into acting after Speed and the Bill and Ted series. It was a gamble that worked, at least for me. The movie is filled with traditional values on both sides, both in Keanu's roll as a patriotic war vet loyal to his wife and in the deep and strong history of the woman's family he stumbles across in despair. In the end a tragic fire that could have ended a centuries old family business ironically brings everything together.

Sorry for the spoiler. I'm a stinker lol.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16527
i just purchased war with jason stathem and jet li on blu ray for $5.30 shipped off walmarts website as well as the bank job with jason stathem on bluray for $5.30 shipped....you cant beat that deal

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16528
http://www.walmart.com/ip/8154210

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10073329

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16529
I also picked up indiana jones and the crystal skull on blu ray for 9 bucks pre viewed at block busters going out of business sale....earlier in the weeks i picked up the last mummy movie with jet li on blu ray pre viewed for 6 bucks

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16530
star wars the complete saga is being released on blu ray....pre release is 89.99 but it wont be out until sept 27 2011....Im ordering it now because thats like 36 % off for going with the pre release

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1480
I rented 'RED' Sunday night and it was better than I was expecting. Its your average Bruce Willis movie, so if you like the Die Hard series, you would enjoy this movie just as much. It's an action movie mixed with some comedy, picking fun at how they're getting old and are retired but miss the good ole' days. It's pretty action packed from beginning to end, so not many dull moments.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24338
I saw it in the stores and held off for some odd reason. That and I hate paying $20 for any movie unless I know I'll like it. I'm patient. I'll wait till it hits the $5 bins then pick it up.

Reminds of "The Book of Eli".

I heard so much about it for so long yet I never pulled the trigger until it went under $15. Something inside of me said it was a ringer but I just HAD to wait until it got below my threshold to buy. Had I known how good a movie it is I would have bought it the day it came out. Funny really.

Truly great films in today's world fetch so much $$ in the NOW, yet a year later they are in the $5 bins. Do we as a society move that fast that we fail to recognize and appreciate our own accomplishments because we are all looking too far ahead all the time?

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1980
^^ thread post # 666!!!

lol anyways, Red was a fantastic action packed movie. Definitely just like Bruce's movies.

8/10

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1485
I actually just watched 'The Book of Eli' tonight. Thought it was ok.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24343
Ok? Wow. I thought it was fantastic. Loved watching it and will do so again many times lol. I just love the connection between Eli's grasp of the book and his inevitable roll in preserving it.

Great movie IMO.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16533
i thought red was just ok too.....but everyone has different tastes......book of eli was just ok to me too

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24345
Acted on Skullz impulse and picked up Red. Also picked up the Naked Gun trilogy. Red was indeed fun to watch. You need to pay attention or it can get away from you but worth the $15 I paid for it IMO. Sure it will be a $5 special someday but like I said it was an impulse buy.

Naked Gun series? Classic collection from the late Mr. Nielson. Just HAD to have it. My boy will be on the floor with them.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1981
glad you liked it

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24350
I did indeed. Re-watched the naked gun series up to # 2 so far again. I love a parody lol.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2098
The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus is a must see.

Heath Ledger. Lily Cole. others.
A first rate fantasy film.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16571
ill have to check that out

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24358
"The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus"

This is an actual movie with Heath Ledger? Never heard of it. I feel deprived lol.

Leo you need to share your knowledge more often lol. Us young folk love and appreciate your experience.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2099
Paul,
Just google Lily Cole and tell me you DON'T want to see her in a movie.

I'd watch her wrap fish.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24359
Just did. Cute girl. Kinda skinny for my taste though. Gotta love those redheads!

Introduced my son today to the Rocky saga. After the first one he instantly wanted to watch the 2nd. I'm trying to find ways of building up his confidence as he is super sensitive in his sports (baseball). He has an insatiable hunger for winning and gets devastated after losing. So much so that he frequently can't continue playing after striking out. It's hard to explain to a 10 year old that in baseball even the best in the game fail at the plate 7/10 times and they earn millions of $$ doing so.

The Rocky movies hopefully will enlighten him to the series' whole concept on life. It's not about winning or losing, or how hard you get hit, it's about how you pick yourself up and continue on.

He's watching Rocky 3 tonight. The one with Mr. T and Hulk Hogan. He had no clue who either of them were lol. Made me feel even older.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24360
The Happening.

Just seen it. Were the reviews right? Yes, for the most part. I expected a complete bust but IMO it wasn't so. Yes it wasn't properly casted and you're left with a hollow feeling in the end as to all the loose ends. Plants attacking humans in a self defense "mechanism" type movie? I admit, I was hooked in the first 60 minutes but in the end expected more. To me there wasn't proper closure.

Oh well, 5 bucks is 5 bucks.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2101
ALL the 'ring' movies at Costco for 13$ EACH. In BlueRay......tempting, even though I don't own a player!

Don't forget, the best hitters in pro ball are also facing the best PITCHING.

Lily Cole SKINNY? Are we looking at the same person? Maybe my monitor needs glasses.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24374
If this is her then I hold true to my statement. IMO she needs more meat on them bones lol!

Upload
Upload

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24394
Michael Clayton.

I have to say this is a much better movie than I gave it credit for. It reminded me of "The Firm" with a twist of "The Rainmaker". Loved the story just wished the film didn't last as long as it did lol.

All in all a great $5 investment.

That is all.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16591
I hated that movie at least you got some enjoyment out of it....that chick is anorexic no question man.....hope she gets some help

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24397
You hated Michael Clayton? Can I ask why? Although I'm partial to action/sci-fi movies this one was pretty decent.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2106
Michael Clayton is on my good list. George Clooney always seems to get involved in quality projects. Yep, even the 'goat' movie which I enjoyed as a fictionalization built on a thread of actual events.

Lily Cole was in 'model trim' when those photos were taken. She has since bulked-up a bit.
Models, by definition, need help, starting with a proper diet. BUT, skinny sells and has helped corrupt many young girls who think what they see is normal. She is 5'10", normal for a model but tall by most other standards.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24399
Well personally I like petite but not skin and bones. Not implying she looks like a skeleton in those pics but by no means is she "average" by US standards.

It's kinda sad but I read somewhere that the average US woman weighs like 165 lbs. By the looks of her pics above I'd guess she's pulling about a $1.15 maybe $1.20?

Looked again in the stores today for The Blues Brothers with no luck. Might have to turn to the net to find some of my fav oldies. I just hate buying anything online because of the wait involved. Picked up a $5 classic in Stand By Me. I remembered that movie for its' many references to my own youth and some of the details that will always linger and influence me today. Plus it's just a darn great film.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2107
When DVDs were 'new' I sent away to Amazon for 6 or 8 of 'em, just to get started. Saved about 1/3 or 1/2 from list.....
Long wait, for sure.
But at that time the local selection was near-zero, video stores had not picked up the format yet and if you found one to buy, it was at LIST price.

Today? 5$ or even '999' bins are a treasure trove of old and some really good movies. Video stores? sell rental DVDs and don't have any VHS at all.

My advice, not that you need or want it, is to buy a bunch at once. That'll spread the shipping out unless you go over the 'free shipping' limit. Tax? You're stuck for that no matter what.....maybe!

Current photos of Lily and even her showing in the movie is about 20lb over her modeling weight. She can eat a normal diet now. You can see it in her legs and tummy. I'm not into gaunt, either.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24400
It's funny what today's market will do to the "value" of movies. What I see a lot of in the bins are westerns and older war flicks. Back in the day they were considered jems yet today stores want them off the shelves and out of their memory. I see a lot of Mr. Eastwood's Westerns in the bins as well as Alfred Hitchcock's.

Today it's all about the here and now generation. If they can't get it on their blackberry or Iphone then it MUST be worthless.

Ya know, us older folks may just know a thing or two about life and would like to offer it.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16600
heres blues brothers new cheap paul

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2109
Try showing a 20-something a movie in B/W.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24406
WTF??? I just typed a 500+ word epic response to this thread and it got deleted?

I feel defeated.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16605
I just picked up rocky balboa on blu ray brand new on ebay shipped for $5.14

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16606
I just saw the whole 6 movie collection of rocky on blu ray is only 42 bucks

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16616
I think its time for me to start watching the saw series i have on blu ray.....if you guys havent seen them you must give them a chance ....1 is good but it gets better

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24415
The Saw series is what it is. "Better" with each movie? I don't think so lol. It's just the same plot, over and over again. For me I got bored after the 2nd one. The rest was just repetition. Almost "B" movie material.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16636
it isnt a b movie to me but thats why there are all types of movies.......everyone has different tastes.....they sure do beat micheal clayton though lol

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1992
I couldn't watch pass the third Saw movie. Seriously was just getting annoying to watch and IMO had some horrible acting. I would have to agree with Paul on this movie being close to B material. Anyways, it's tough to have a series last up to 6 sequels with each and every one being better or as good as the first.

Only a handful have succeeded.

I have no time to watch movies lately. Working full time and going back to college full time (15 credits is now considered 'fulltime' = BS)!!! I can't wait for the next 3 months to fly by.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24418
Education is golden. I myself wish I had the time to go to college. Although it would have done me no good. (In my time). Today I live by the "education" of life. It hurts sometimes but is worth just as much, minus the tuition.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2114
Paul,
It is axiomatic that
'Youth is wasted on the young'.

I WAS and continue to be a world-class bad student. My 3/4 wit brother who spent several years in the military came out much better for it and has consistently applied himself well in the academic world. Go Figger. His HS days were a drunken / carousing blur.

Was your reply that went away about young folks and B&W movies?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24422

quote:

Was your reply that went away about young folks and B&W movies?

It was.

I wasn't a great student as well. I got good grades and made the honor roll but classrooms didn't thrill me. I'd much rather be in wood shop learning how to operate a lathe. Much of what you "learn" is academic and has little meaning on real lessons in life. After all, like words from one of my favorite movie, "Good Will Hunting", you can read about everything in life but until you experience it you can't say you've taken anything away from it. Is school going to teach you how watching your first born feels or how to cope with an adulteress spouse?

Don't get me wrong, college has value on your resumé and you meet many people who you may rely on in the future. Just don't expect life to be effortless afterwards though. Like the baby bird learning to fly. There are no lessons, just a "push".
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us