Archive through March 22, 2010

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22131
So I'm bored out of my mind and have a half decent brain lol. I want to hear everyone's suggestions as to the MUST have movie in their collection. Tell me what movie shocked your world and why. Tell me the movies you watch regularly and can't do without.

I'm open to all genre's. I want to continue to add to my library and don't wish to do so with "B" movies that are so cheap.

Fire them at me.

Platinum Member
Username: Basshead86

FL

Post Number: 10825
What Dreams May Come.

:-)

Good Will Hunting.

both have Robin Williams in them. Also, another good one is .....damn, i sat here for 5 minutes and had a brain queef. oh well.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22136
Both good movies! Seen and own them both though.

I'm looking for movies that simply move you as a person. Anything that makes you cry or think.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22137
I just want to be entertained.

Gold Member
Username: Mrskullz1

New York

Post Number: 1412
Just a bunch of random movies that I like and have in my collection. I'm sure you seen/have most if not all of them.

Pulp Fiction
Dark Knight
Usual Suspects
Superbad
Hangover
All Harry Potter movies (yes...I am a fan!)
All LOTR movies
EVERY Pixar movie
Gladiator
Slumdog Millionaire
District 9
The Departed

I just seen Paranormal Activity last night - ehhh it was OK. I don't think it really deserved ALL the hype it got.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22138
There are a few I haven't seen in your list. Superbad, Usual Suspects and Slumdog Millionare. I will have to look into them.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1414
sorry - just a little OT. But how/where are you storing your movies? Is this inside a media center PC? Or do you have a cabinet full of DVDs? Just curious.

I custom built a media center PC and am starting to copy all my movies to it. So far I used about 500GB of movies. But I'm nowhere near half way done yet. Its very cool to have a HTPC - and really organized. All my friends envy me lol

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1415
and Superbad is a must! I thought you would have seen it by now. Absolutely hilarious!

Usual Suspects is probably one of the best crime/mystery movies that I have seen so far.

Slumdog Millionaire is a good movie. Just something random I posted. I enjoyed it - hope you will.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22140
My movies are on DVD. I would love to digitize them but not sure how to get around the copy protection. Memory storage is incredibly cheap and you can get a TB easily for under $150. That's a lot of movies. Every once in awhile I'll buy a movie that has the digital copy available but you pay extra for it and have to download it.

IMO, if I purchase a movie I should have the right to view and store it in any format I choose, be it on my Ipod touch, PC or any other future media playing device. I shouldn't have to buy the same movie twice for the convenience of portability. That's how they make the $$$, by double dipping you.

"Oh you want that movie on your Ipod? Ok pay us this. You want that DVD ripped onto your HD? Pay us that."

Enough already!

Like a cell phone. They practically give the units away for free because the $$ is in using the damn thing to the advertised potential. I hate when they advertise a Ferrari yet you pay for and get a golf cart.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1420
I rent movies from Netflix and copy them to my htpc using DVDFab. They have trials etc...but i can surely get you the platinum edition.

They remove all of that copyright stuff and all. It takes only about 4-7 minutes to store a full DVD on your computer.
I basically use Media Center and the MyMovies 3 plugin. Its amazing.

Check it out - www.mymovies.dk

A friend of mine just told me about this program. I am loving it so far. Gets ALL the information needed and looks great!

And I have windows 7 ultimate on my htpc as well....i can get you a copy if your interested.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22142
Brad? Is that you in disguise lol?????

Does the process work on my DVDs or only ones from netflix? I'd be interested in storing probably 80% of my collection onto a HD of some sort. Does it save it as a windows media file or some other format? I run Vista unfortunately and I hope that isn't a problem. How hard is it to upgrade to windows 7?

Thank you in advance and hook me up.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1422
lol - no Brad here.

Vista sux big time - seriously, I hate it. But, it should have Windows Media Center in it already. You can use the MyMovies plugin for vista as well. Basically you copy the DVDs to you hard drive and play them through media center. It's REALLY easy.

Windows 7 upgrade is really simple. As long as your comp has a dvd drive your fine. The version I have is fully activated - so you should not run into any activation problems. Upgrades fine also.

The size itself is around 4gigs for the windows. I can send you the DVD - better than downloading off of me.

DVDFab - i'm sure I can find you the links to get it when I get home tonight. Really can't do much from my work computer.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22144
So I CAN rip a DVD onto my HD using the windows media player/center? Awesome. Yes my PC has a DVD drive. I watch more movies on my PC than any other source truthfully. Tell me what I can send you for the DVD and I'll Paypal it along with my address.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1423
Yes - you can rip it with DVDFab and play it in windows media center.

You can send me a PM with your addy.

Thats all.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22150
Pm sent.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1425
got it. sent
u an email.

Back to topic!

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22160
Got Shaun of the Dead, Superbad, The Usual Suspects and Fast and Furious (last sequel) today.

Movie time.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22193
Shaun of the dead was great. I didn't expect the British background at first but found the movie most entertaining. I loved hearing references to such things like the "pub, flat, tele" and such.

I would, IMO, put this above Zombieland myself.

Next up, Superbad!

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1435
cool. I havn't seen zombieland yet. I have it downloaded but never got around seeing it.

I am sure you will love superbad.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22195

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22205
Superbad was awesome! 150% different from what I was expecting but THAT'S what makes a movie memorable.

4 1/2 stars out of 5.

Also the uncensored teenage dialogue is what nailed the movie!

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1448
:-) - Another movie that I cant get tired of no matter how many times I watch it.

You ever seen Clerks and Clerks 2?

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1449
(and I see the package was delivered. Have you tried it yet?)

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22207
Got it. Thanks! No I haven't as yet. Been busy with various other things. I take it it's all self explanatory as far as the install? No hidden surprises lol?

Oh, and put "Office Space" up there too! Great movie.

"Paper jam??!! There is no paper jam!!!"

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22209
Ok, just saw "The Usual Suspects".

Again great call!! The suspense and ultimate twist ending is fantastic. As always Kevin Spacey is dead on. He is an ace in the hole. Even though this is a 15 year old movie I'd have to top shelf this selection!

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1451

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 882
Maltese Falcon / Bogart

ORIGINAL::
Forbidden Planet
The Thing
Them
Psycho
Citizen Kane

1st 5 Marx Brothers movies/ all terrific

The Conversation / Gene Hackman
Fargo

Want me to go on?

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1454
wow maltese falcon....it was good. However, the book was maybe a billion times better. I read the book in about 2 days - very quick and entertaining read.

Pretty old movie tho.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22229
Can you Leo lol?

The Thing, the one with Kurt Russell?

Them, the one with Rowdy Roddy Piper?

Not sure if there were movies that preceded those. The ones I remember were in the 80's. Fargo? Yaaaah it was good and one I watch every couple of years but nothing to write home about. The local accent gets old pretty quick, eh?

Have to mention Raising Arizona. Why Nicholas Cage doesn't do more comedy is beyond me. It's just hard to find a flaw in him.

And sadly, I have a few movies in my collection I just can't get past the first 20 minutes of before turning them off. I know that's a cardinal sin for movie goers but I'm working on my attention span lol. I want a movie to grab me instantly to keep me watching. Some of them are 300, The Davinci Code and Bagger Vance.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 883
Them. 1954. Early 'bug' pic featuring Giant Ants. Great stuff and well done. James Whitmore. Edmund Gwenn. James Arness.
Early appearance by Clint Walker, if I 'member correctly.

The Thing was a REMAKE and for all that, IMO, not as well done as the original. Original title =The Thing From Another World.(1951) The '80s remake is all of about 1 check while the original is 3 1/2 solid.

You know, Paul, sometimes 'ya just gotta watch for the payoff. Like the game moviegoers used to play...trying to be the first to spot Alfred Hitchcock's appearance (brief) in each of his movies.

Speaking of Hitchcock, North By Northwest is UnBeatable. With a cast you will recognize from literally dozens of other movies

Also, Agreed on Cage. As far as Bogart goes, try The Big Sleep. Directed by Howard Hawks with script writing duties including William Faulkner.......I think this is where Bogart met Bacall. If you are in a 'FilmFest' kind of mood, pick up Casablanca and The Treasure of The Sierra Madre, while you're at it.

For a change of pace. Watch Excalibur and Monte Python and The Holy Grail.......BACK TO BACK.
Speaking of John Boorman, The Emerald Forest is moving, evocative, well photographed and just plain tops. Boorman's son has the pivotal role.

For a comedy, a decent entry would be Moon Over Parador, featuring Raul Julia, Richard Dreyfus and the mouth watering Sonia Braga, a former Brazilian XXX star,.

Want more? I'm just warming up.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22248
Wow that's some list. Very old school indeed (for me anyway). I can appreciate older films but growing up in the 70's and 80's meant Friday nights watching Godzilla as long as the folks allowed, sneaking into the gameroom to watch Benny Hill lol, and Saturday nights at the drive in watching a double feature. I was one of 6 in the family so for $5/car load, it was the ticket for us. I was never exposed to Hitchcock or related suspense films so I never followed them. My youth consisted of Indiana Jones, E.T., Star Wars, Animal House, Close Encounters, The Jerk, Aliens, Blazing Saddles, Grease and other such films of the era which I assume set the foundation for what I look for today. Action/adventure, science fiction and comedy, and not particularly in that order.

I cannot and will not rule out drama or other such genres but won't risk any $$ on it unless it's highly recommended. I guess I'm still a kid at heart.

I do so miss the drive in. My Mother would pop a trash bag full of popcorn, we'd bring our sleeping bags on cool nights and my Father would back the truck in so we could lay down in the bed while they sat on lawn chairs, running with $.50 during every intermission to the concession stand, playing in the playground during the boring movies, and betting who'd fall asleep before the end of the 2nd movie.

It just isn't the same anymore. **Sigh**

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 886
Hey, Paul,
More than once I brought my single burner camp stove and one of those tin Jiffypop things to a drive in and popped it during intermission. During those years, I was so broke, I couldn't pay attention.

Now, as far as 'old school' goes, so beit. Most people think movies started when they were 10 yrs old. They never look back. Well, I've seen everything from the original Jazz Singer to ALL the versions of A Christmas Carol filmed. Probably 6 different versions, from Reginald Owen in the main role to the recent Jim Carey redo....which wasn't all that bad. Even a version where Ebenezer is done by a Black Woman. Bill Murray took a shot at it and so did Mister Magoo. Never saw the silent version filmed in the early '20s.

Some of my favorite old movies are the original Marx Brothers movies. The 5 done for Paramount have never been equaled as a body of work. This is from The Cocoanauts to Duck Soup.

I have a list of movies which should never be remade. The Day the Earth Stood Still was on the list, and if you've ever seen the original you'd know why.
Some TV shows are translated to the big screen, too. Wild Wild West? Lost In Space? Why bother. The scriptwriters apparently never saw or failed to understand the original and tried to make it 'relevant' to moderns with disasterous results.

LOTR, on the other hand was so good it renders the books irrelevant. The movies are so much better that I can't even recommend reading them anymore.

Check back after you've seen some of the originals.
You'll see that Avatar, while very well done and an amazing effects masterpiece, was really nothing special.
District 9, OTOH, is an instant classic.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22255
Have district 9, thought it was ok. Another movie made better IMO thanks to modern technology was King Kong. There are various versions, (mind you I grew up seeing the one with Jessica Lang), but the current one isn't bad at all. All versions sure to influence many in their time table.

And I hear ya on being broke back in the day lol. Many a day in the Summer in my youth my friends and I walked around looking for loose change on the streets. We would steal corn from the farmer's field 1/2 mile away and LOVED eating it because of it. I mean we stole trash bags at a time! It didn't matter to him.

And apart from Saturday morning cartoons we also watched many episodes of the Three Stooges and could still see the humor in them. Lost in space and My Favorite Martian were also watched as well as Bewitched, Dragnet and soooo many others. Nothing in that time however could compare to Mr. Mel Blanc and all his voices lol. Bugs, Yosemite Sam, among so many others.........just made it worthwhile to be a kid.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 887
Paul, If I knew you better I'd recommend a movie and give it a money back guarantee. Save the rental receipt and popcorn bill.

On that note, have you ever see the Original King Kong in the uncut version? The King eats a few natives, spits out there clothes while Faye jumps into the water, escaping the King's cave and is (supposed to be) clothingless. Pretty racy stuff for the '30s.

I did sort of like the Jack Black part in the last remake, though.

My cartoon when I was a kid was Rocky and his Friends. Cheap Mexican animation and great voices. Mr Big, indeed! I watched all the others you listed, too. Lost in Space was really lost after the first season, though.

Did you ever see the original 12 or 13 episode run of The Prisoner?
That was so good I've got the whole run on DVD. That and the first season of Get Smart. Sorry about that.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22262
Just forced myself to watch 300 in its' entirety. Glad I did. Great story and action sequences. Mucho mucho blood and gore for those wondering. The message behind the film is fantastic. Never surrender or retreat.

I just can't help wondering (mainly because I've seen and love the movie The Gladiator), how Russell Crowe would have better played the role. Yeah I'm biased because of it lol.

8 out of 10 stars for 300.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 892
You need to see 'Meet The Spartans' back-2-back with 300.
At least a 7 of 10 on the 'dumbed down' scale.

I love double features.

BTW, it was illegal to own gold in Sparta. That's what the scene with the bad guy with the gold meant. He was obviously bribed.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1460
LOL - Meet the Spartans is a must see too. I forgot about that movie.

One of the best parody style movies.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22266
Just seen "Hulk" tonight and I have to say what a disappointment it was. I can't believe the names as such great actors and actresses like Nick Nolte, Jennifer Connelly and Sam Elliot were found in such a film. The split screen scenes throughout the film degraded it so much that it made the film look like an airline "B" movie.

However Jen looked awesome to say the least.

I've loved her since Labyrinth. What a doll.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22271
Fantastic 4, The Silver Surfer. That was tonight's showing.

Ok, not entirely horrible IMO. It makes me want to see the first just to get a grasp on the roll of "Dr. Doom" and how he supposedly escaped death.

Special effects were good. Worth the $5 at Walmart especially when it will entertain the kids a couple of times.

Next up? Who knows.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22272
Side note, I was interested in and compelled to buy the movie "The Incredible Hulk" based solely off the price difference as opposed to the movie "Hulk", yet they are separated by a $10 difference. Stated earlier I was disappointed in "Hulk" and was wondering what the difference may be between the two. Obviously to me there must be a major difference lol?

I say this because in my opinion of similar movies of like topics like "Deep Impact" and "Armageddon".

By far Armageddon is a much better film yet they came out at just the same time.

To me that means Hollywood has many moles lol.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22275
Oh, and up next is Jackass, Unrated.

I've seen it like 12 times but who cares?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 904
The Hurt Locker.

good chance of 'Best Picture' ......... Not a prediction, just an observation.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22284
Got "Meet the Spartans" and 2012 today. Couldn't find "The Hurt Locker" yet.

I'm expecting nothing but fantastic special effects from 2012. Also to bust my azz laughing at Meet the Spartans.

We shall see.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22287
Meet the Spartans was hilarious. You absolutely HAVE to watch the original to get the parody of this comedy though lol. The queen in clear heels?

2012 was just what I expected in the special effects department. Simply amazing. The unusually long 158 minute running time however is trying at best an tends to lead viewers to an anticipated and prolonged end. 2 hours and 40 minutes is a long time for an action/adventure movie.

I like John Cusack's role yet Woody Harrelson's is a tad off to me. Amanda Peet is always stunning to watch. Love her to death.

Meet the Spartans? 7 1/2 out of 10 stars.

2012? 8/10 stars. (Based off the special effects). The elongated script/runtime tends to lead audiences away from the movie however.

Goodnight all.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 905
The 11 Oscar winning Ben-Hur goes 212"=3'32" and has an intermission! When's the last time anyone went to a movie with an intermission? It was on cable a few nites ago and they included the intermission. Run for it to be first in the bathroom.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22313
I think ten commandments had an intermission didn't it?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 907
Yes, after the 5th.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22337
Just to keep it going I have begun watching the Aliens series. First one is, as always a pleasure to watch. Taking into consideration the film is over 30 years old I have to say it's just as entertaining today as it was then. The special effects and set is awesome in regards to the time it was filmed. Not to mention the script was A1.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 916
Caught 'From Russia With Love' on the tube tonite.

Still holds up very well. Connery will always be the Bond I remember, with Brosnan a close 2nd. Roger Moore was always too slick and not edgy enough.

don't forget the franchise started in the early '60s, so Dr. No is going on 50 yrs old....soon.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22340
Ah the Bond series. Another classic. I, however, grew up seeing Roger Moore. Mr. Connery is obviously a better choice but not one I remember as 007. No actor has done more 007 movies than Mr. Moore. I flat out stopped watching after "A view to a kill". Moonraker was my fav. Remember, the 70's - early 80's was my most influential time. Hard to believe there are over 20 films in the series.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1467
Not sure if you seen this movie but it seems to crack me up every time I see it.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

Movie is hilarious. This is another one of my best comedies in my collection.

Have you also seen Role Models?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22358
Nope to either. Bring em on fellas.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 923
I might have forgotten about Sarah Marshal, but I definitely Found Forester!

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22379
Being a father I have to mention some of the animated movies that were worth watching.

Toy Story
Shrek
Ice Age
Lion King
The Polar Express
Shark Tale
A Bug's Life
Antz
Wall-E
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
Planet 51
Fantasia

There are so many others worth listing. Tarzan comes to mind and just about every other full length Disney movie became classics.

It's good to be a kid at heart.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1473
I would say ALL the Toy Stories were good. Lion King is a classic and I also plan to go watch it on Broadway (born and lived in New York for 21 years and STILL never went a Broadway show lol).

I like Polar Express....I dunno why exactly...maybe the graphics or acting or whatever but I ALWAYS enjoy watching it.

A Bugs Life and Antz.....wow. Old but still very good. I remember I video taped those movies from the Pay Per View channels LOL.

I haven't seen Wall E yet, I started it but didn't get a chance to finish it. Thats next on my list. CWACOM is great. Monkey is hilarious along with the dad's hair!

Fantasia? Never heard of it. Guess that next on my list as well.

How about Cars? I love that movie. Never get tired of watching that one either. Monsters Inc is also one of my favorites.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22380
Fantasia I included because it's an old time Disney classic. Originally released in 1940. I included it because it was a pioneer in animated effects for the time. You might have a battle ahead of you to even find it in stores. You can always see clips on youtube though just to give ya an idea.

Never seen cars. I heard it was good but just one I missed I guess.

Picked up 3 today. Planet 51, The Incredible Hulk and Hachi a Dog's Tale. I saw previews for Hachi and I just had to see it. Not to mention I'm a huge fan of those breeds of dogs, Akitas, Huskies, ect. We'll see how it goes.

My son is a HUGE fan of the movie The Blind Side but it doesn't get released on DVD until the 23rd of this month. About a week and a half. He's anxious lol.

I have to comment on my disappointment on the current prices of DVD movies. Not long ago new releases, and even blockbuster films were only $14.95 or so. Now they start at $19.95 and some are even $24.95. Not sure what impacted this price gouging but it's there. Maybe pirating and online downloads? Yet that's been going on for years. Dunno.

Got a few to watch tonight. Reviews forthcoming.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1474
I don't remember paying for ANY DVD that I own.

Does that make me a bad guy?

lol

If you ever want to start downloading the movies, you know who to ask.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22382
Oh I have done my fair share of online downloads lol. Mostly music in my day but a few flicks too. I just like the packaging and the good feeling that nobody is going to be knocking on my door someday to confiscate my PC. Although I did drop $50+ today on 3 movies so I can see why so many do it. Viscous cycle isn't it? Pirating goes up so they have to raise prices to compensate. Prices are too high forcing more pirating. Round and round we go. Soon there will be a two drink minimum at theaters lol.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22387
Hachi was great!!!! I so loved the devotion of the dog found by the owner (Richard Gere) and how the events that unfolded contributed to it. The fact that the family accepted him and eventually loved him for his devotion to his master is wonderful. No spoils here. You have to watch it for yourself. 8 out of 10 stars for Hachi.

I'm glad I bought it.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 927
A friend loaned me a pirate copy of 'No Country for Old Men' and it was nearly unwatchable. Motion artifacts and macro blocking all over the place. Poor contrast and sort of muted color.

I saw another bootleg, this time of Blind Side and it was a flawless print.

DVD prices are a rip to support inflated salaries and huge profits. Production costs for the actual disk has dropped like a rock since the first CDs were issued. Some similar technology to processing semiconductors.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22390
Oh I have never wondered where the money went at all. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see when actors are making 20 million $$+ per film. Not to mention the costs involved in film making today. And I know it costs pennies or less per copy to produce the actual product so you can see the ratio.

I have also seen some pirated copies as well. Some with subtitles, some with the watermark banners across the screen and most with sub par sound and visual qualities like you stated. I have yet to see though a copy with everything 100%. I mean bonus features and all. I guess it's because I don't download or buy them. I do have a copy of March of the Penguins that's pretty good. No bonus features but very watchable to say the least.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1475
I HATE watching bootlegs. Its just not the same. I never enjoy the movies and it gets really annoying for me.

Thats why if I don't watch the movie in theaters, a couple of months later I can download the DVD version of it. To me, its definitely worth the wait.

The last bootleg I saw was X-Men Origins - I actually saw all the ropes and harnesses the actors were wearing LOL. It was one of the those production copies and was out way before the movie even came into theaters.

BTW - No Country for Old Men is a really good movie. Def worth watching the original DVD or on TV.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 933
If you have the connect, get a copy of a movie which is 'up for academy consideration'. They make bunches for voting distribution.

Always first class, but no features.

Want a Real Fun SciFi story?

'A Boy And His Dog' is terrific. Story from a real scifi author of some repute.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22392
Saw The Incredible Hulk last night. MUCH better than Hulk. Better story, effects and acting. By far. I can see Liv Tylor aging a bit but by no means is she unattractive.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1477
I seen it...it was OK. Nothing special or something I would watch again. IMO i think they could hve done a much better job.

I also seen Wall E - i must say I did not enjoy this movie as much as i thought i would have.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22395
Really? Maybe because my kids enjoyed it I did too. Although it is one they haven't asked for on DVD yet. Every OTHER one they have.

What a great movie day today was on a side note. Such torrential rain and 40 mph winds in the Northeast today. Wow. Power on and off most of the day and flooding everywhere. Sat kept going in and out too.

You know what they say about March, comes in like a lion...................

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1478
yep im doing the same today. Its crazy outside so im just staying in and watching whatever movie i can lol.

Seen about 3 already. Trying to find a really nice movie for tonight tho.

BTW the winds are crazy. I think they are reporting around 60mph winds here. Waves are 8-12 feet across shore. Lots of broken trees around here.

To be honest, NY doesn't really get this type of weather a lot. Or at least I haven't come across weather like this in the past 21 years or so ive been here. Same as the snow accumulations. I hear this summer will not be hot as usual. It will also be much shorter. That would suck!

So far today I've seen
Fast and Furious (i'm a sucker for car movies)
John Q
Wall E

Now jus tryna figure out a good night flick :D

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1479
Just saw Zombieland.....fckin love this movie.

Woody FTW!

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22399
Lol cool. It was ok to me but didn't ring my bells so much.

Started to watch the Harry Potter movies again. Tonight I started with Goblet of Fire. Why? Because I've seen the first 3 and wanted to continue on. Borrowed the series from my folks. What an extremely large cash cow these films must be for those abroad. With so many films in the series and the author pumping out the books just as fast you'd think they are starting an army of they're own with their profits lol.

Interesting theme and story as well. It embraces/supports a never ending plot that pays dividends as well. Someone dies in a movie? Simply bring him back in the sequel as another twist.

Allllllllllllllllllllllll business.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 936
Bond is Back.

Goldfinger on TV tonite. They didn't commercial it to death, either.

Man, this flick really holds up. OddJob was a pro wrestler in his 'spare' time.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22409
How was it? I would love to see the film again.

Ironically I have no 007 films in my collection.

Strange isn't it?

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1481
I don't either.

Bond was just never my thing lol.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22411
I LOVED Bond, as a kid. Today it just fizzled out for me though.

I DO love the remake of some other films like King Kong and Godzilla due to the enhanced special effects.

You just have to embrace the Jurassic Park series though as a pioneer in the new age of Hollywood. I watch the first one even today and the effects give me goosebumps. And that was 18 years ago!!!!

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1484
Jurassic Park is a classic. Only parts 1 and 2 tho. I don't like the 3rd one. And I believe there is a 4th one in the making as well.

T-Rex's footsteps shake my house! lol

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22414
Some sequels actually work. Rocky, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, The Godfather, ect. Yet some flop like bunny ears. I think it's just a matter of timing and $$ put into the films. I remember a sequel to Jaws (I think it may have been the one in 3D) that had almost no feel or direction like the previous films. It was a budget movie thrown together in a couple months and looked that way.

Some films I'm anxiously awaiting for are:

Iron Man 2

I also believe it's crucial to maintain the original cast in a sequel. Who wants to see anyone but Mr. Stallone as Rambo or Harrison Ford as Indiana? It almost never works without them.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 943
Yet, GF3 made a thud when it hit bottom. The first 2 are unequalled as a pair, the 2nd not only a sequel but a PREquel. great cinema.

Bond has been successfully played by what......? 3 or 4 different actors with different takes on the original character. George didn't do so well.

I think Johnny Depp would be a terrific Indiana Jones. Just kidding.

It's CAST YOUR OWN MOVIE time. Find a movie, think about the sequel and who YOU would cast in it.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22420
Bond HAD to be played by many due to the course the series took over time. No single actor could do it over a 30 year span. We all see that lol.

Cast your own sequel in a movie is tough lol. I like your angle, I do.

But as I stated previously it's tough to see anyone other than the original cast doing well. It's what the viewers expect.

I'll work on a more proper response.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 944
IMO most sequels are rip-offs of the original. I'm sorry, but I really want to see at least a reasonably original screenplay with good actors. I don't care about the 'setup' for the 'new, bigger better part II'.

Cast my own movie?

Any remake of a Jimmy Stewart movie....with Tom Hanks in the lead.

How about a remake of the original 'Thin Man' ?
Johnny Depp as the dapper lead and ??? as the wife.

Yes, of course, the Bond 'franchise' is nearly 45 years old. This alone kind of shoots down the 'original cast' argument. I'm sure that many have seen most if not all the series. Even younger viewers have dabbled in the original part of the series. The original Connery as Bond flicks are cable regulars and still doing a brisk rental business.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1488
Johnny Depp as ANY villain in the upcoming batman movie!

That would be bad@ss

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22425
Got 2 more today.

"The Last Castle" with Robert Redford and "Alien VS. Predator".

The Last Castle I got because I remember the movie from years ago to be simply a very good one. AVP I got simply for cheap thrills. Got both in the Kmart $5 bin. Every so often you find gems in the bins and for $5 it's not much of a gamble.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 948
Johnny Depp as a villian? NOW you're talkin'.

I like off-type casting. Steve Martin in The Spanish Prisoner was good and a not-funny role with some range. Good idea, Skullz!

And, for Paul.....10$? Can't miss. I check the cheapo bins, too.
Found a Bella Lugosi movie I'd never heard of (not too good) and a double disk of Road Pictures.....Hope / Crosby just having fun.

Find yourself a copy of The Legend of Hell House'....It is scary without being gross or obvious. Great cast, too.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22427
Well AVP was just what I expected. A complete bust. Poor choice in cast and some moments actually made me laugh because it was so bad. The story wasn't horrific but production just dropped the ball on this one. The fact that a dainty 110lb woman became a "warrior" and killed an alien is only the beginning of the haha's. Sorta interesting how they included Lance Henriksen in the cast but it did little to offset the poor screenplay. I have to say that the original Alien had better effects and that was filmed in 1979!

IMO the film pays only insult to the 2 great films it combines.

Thank God Sigourney and Arnold stayed away from this one lol.

Up next is The Last Castle. I'm sure to love this one.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22428
Loved the film. Robert Redford was just as remarkable as I remembered. I knew it was a good/great film from years ago but haven't watched it in years. Good selection to add to anyone's library IMO.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22429
Any old classics you all want to mention?

Like Cool Hand Luke or Escape From Alcatraz? Seen them both and loved them. They are a part of me. I know Leo must have a boat load that influenced him. I respect that time of film and how it ultimately sculpts our movies today but I'm a baby boomer. Born in the 70's.

It is what it is lol.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 952
Check out the ORIGINAL Night of the Living Dead

Any John Waters movie (Lust in the Dust, Hairspray, Pink Flamingos)
Any Kurosawa movie (Ran, Seven Samurai, Rashomon)
Any Stanley Kubrick movie (2001, Dr. Strangelove, A Clockwork Orange)
SOME Mel Brooks movies (Young Frankenstein, The 12 Chairs, Blazing Saddles)

Let me know when you want a few more.

I'd also suggest a Gene Hackman Film Festival. They guy is really prepared and quite good. I can't think of even a bad movie he was in where he didn't shine.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1492
I gotta see Dr. Strangelove - heard too much about it and don't even know what its about lol.

Thats next on my list along with Hurt Locker

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22430
Seen Night of the living dead (B&W), Pink Flamingos, Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein.

I agree with Gene Hackman. He's up on my list. Enemy of the State I watch frequently.

Still having trouble finding The Hurt Locker. I keep my eyes peeled though. Seen trailers and it does look good.

Username: Bud_gld

Post Number: 1
All this talk of movies, yet no one mentions the free sites that anyone can watch free dvd quality movies ( not all dvd but most even ones playing at theaters ). No downloads required, only buffer and watch. Great for preview of movies before purchase or seeing at theaters with high prices and big dissapointments. i watch 50 or so movies a month with cpu hooked up to big screen through hdmi. You can also use ur ps3 to watch these movies. I could never keep a data base of movies for this and why would i when all movies are only a click away.Any other info u can pm me for sites if you need them. I would give a list of movies but i think it is a personal choice for what movies a person would think are great.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1493
All of the movies listed above is certainly our personal choice. By no means is anyone forced to like a movie.

Sure if you have some site where you can watch movies, post them in the OT section. Or even this section I guess. Most of the time the movies online aren't the best of quality. To me, quality is everything now. I can't stand watching sh!tty quality stuff and having people's heads in the ways.

But thats just me. :-)

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22436
Well it's a personal choice and preference of mine to have a physical copy of any medium. I don't want to HAVE to rely on my internet connection to watch a film that will be substandard in quality anyway. I dig the perks of legally owning a movie. The packaging, bonus materials and features, not to mention the moral issue of it. The ever growing number of people downloading movies illegally is the main reason the cost is going up. Soon it won't be worth it for the movie industry to continue manufacturing DVDs anymore because of the increasing pirating of them.

I like physical, tangible items I own. I want my collection to be right in front of me to awe and oogle at lol. I don't want it in cyberspace. Plus everyone finding ways to get things for free isn't stimulating the economy either is it? And it's not just movies or music. It's office software to antivirus programs. Autocad to Adobe writer. I mean almost every program written is on the net, somewhere, for free.

I'm not damning those who do it either. I just CHOOSE not to be one of them.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1494
Even Windows :-)

LOL

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22437
You got me.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 954
I'm an 'own the software' kind of guy, too.

Most (many?) bootleg DVDs are awful.
I also do not support the Chinese Rip Offs of legal material.

As for the FTP / music rip sites, they are as contaminated as the contagious ward at the hospital. Every teenagers computer with the possible exception of a few geeks is crawling with all sorts of Trojans, Malware, keyloggers, hackware and other assorted crapola.

That being said, I can see the day when the bugs get worked out and I can download or simply use maybe....Apple TV or some such. I don't do wireless for paranoia / security reasons and I'm not about to start running MORE cable around my house. I use BlueTooth with my cell phone and to move some pictures. I use an AirPort Express to stream music to my stereo in Apple Lossless. No wireless internet for me!

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22449
Then you are a creature of your times. You can adapt and evolve, like me.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22450
XXX was last night's selection. Not one of Vin Diesel's best. Had the movie for some years and I suppose at the time of release it was considered thrilling. Today not so much. I guess what threw me was the "out running an avalanche on a snowboard" scene lol. That was a bit much to swallow. I'm sure the uneducated are like "wow, I gotta try that!".

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 963
Just saw a loaned copy of 'Law Abiding Citizen' ....bootleg, I fear.

And, in tune with the rest of the 'legs I've seen there was macroblocking in some parts and it sounded like it was recorded with a couple lapel mikes.

But, it was a good, gory flick. I think I even like the end.

Any takers?

Username: Bud_gld

Post Number: 3
One of the sites i use is www.letmewatchthis.com. For movies. You can dowload these movies which is very easy to do (these are not torrents) just either click on watch now or download. The downloads are virus and spyware free. They are not what peeps use to download for movies. The only movie i have not found here is the 79 classic day of the animals. All movies are listed cam little better then cam (TS) and dvd. Not all movies are dvd quality but 80%are. I hope this helps for u movie fans . If you liked superbad then watch I love u man very funny movie.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22480
Saw "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" tonight. Gooood but not quite up to par with the others in the series. Worth having though since George Lucas and Steven Spielberg have a hand in this as well. The insertion of Shia Labeouf is nice and I hadn't realized he was part of the cast until I started watching. My bad I suppose lol. I usually do my homework or at least look at the covers before watching lol.

Next up, since I haven't done any recent buying, is some films on my shelf from years ago. "Event Horizon" and "Stargate". Both about 13 years old but promise to tickle my Sci-Fi fancy. Just like Aliens did.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 969
Event Horizon is AWFUL.

Stargate TMP is much better and an idea kicking around in one form or another since even before Erich von Daniken wrote 'Chariots of The Clods'.

The Crystal Skull movie was simply not satisfying. Long on chase, short on plot / acting. Somebody wrote Harrison Ford a check and kept adding zeros until he said YES! I'll do it!

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22502
God were you right on Event Horizon. I mean it wasn't a 100% complete failure but the story was just too predictable in the end. Given the time it was produced the special effects were, average I suppose. I'll shelf it for yet another day.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us