Underworld: Evolution JBL Just Bl00dy Loud!

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth,...

Post Number: 1489
Upload
By Ashley

What can I say about "Underworld: Evolution" is that it was on par with the first a high octane of pure adrenalin rush none stop action with a white knuckle punch, and jaw dropping visual effects with more bite that sucks its predecessor dry!

I said I was going to do an A&B evaluation of the two, well after seeing or rather listening to the first one some 5 or 6 times, once projected in the cinema, but in the home cinema arena it left a more and everlasting impression on me!

Sound and visuals all come together with devastating impact with "Underworld: Evolution" starring Kate Beckinsale all dressed to kill in some tight black leather once again with Scott Speedman beside her as mutation of half Lycan and Vampire, battle against high odds, this is a not to be missed action adventure with stylistic visuals that are accompanied with a terrific six-track Dolby Stereo Digital soundtrack with quaking and riveting effect and a mirage of weaponry firepower!

The soundtrack was more felt than heard, the customary sound effects and Foley design was top notch with body punches, score was by "Marco Beltrami" this marks the fifth time now that I have heard some of his works, and this one was a clash of low end that was noticeable throughout the films running time, with a few shrilly highs to breakthrough the blaze loud sound effects, and keep the viewer on the edge of the seat, or in my case I was gripping the seat, as this would have blown we out of the seat!

Now I usually take caution with the dbA weighting and this one had peaks at the sweet spot, with 90dbA just +5db more than I would normally allow, now if I where to run this for a second viewing I would take it down by -5db from 0db THX reference level, the low end had ample to spare and will not diminish the films impact, not with the JBL control 5's three-screen where localization was constantly moving and keeping the film highly active.

Split-surrounds are made up by a huge array of JBL control 1's down the sidewalls and on the back walls, had clear sounds placed in discrete parts of the left and right sides, while centre back surround had me looking solidly to the back while keep one eye still focused to the screen this was very apparent at the opening of the film, and throughout as well.

Sub bass extension and LFE.1 was via the JBL 4645 modified, the lows in this film where reaching down to 25Hz with peaks in excess of 115dbc weighting, track sounds helicopters and explosions, not to mention the storm of Foley effects that where forceful and hard hitting, with slam kick depth and crunch!

So there must be small cult following of fans hare on this site that enjoyed this film, and its predecessor, but for me it was just that, a film with bite for every single frame, an indispensable sequel!

Picture 9/10

Sound 10/10

Overall 10/10

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8238
yeah...but what about the story and plot? :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 8239
rhetoric...don't answer that, LOL!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2952
You and Ebert, Bernie!

Gold Member

Post Number: 8256
gotta love the outfit!