Movies or Music of the Night (no pics please)

Closed: New threads not accepted on this page
  Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through August 14, 2005Andy Summers100
Archive through June 30, 2005Paul100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1515
Edster, that Elvis Costello disc flat out rocks. I'm a fan of Elvis anyway (don't presently own any of his records) but this DVD is amazing. The passion that this man brings to his music is astounding.

Hi Andy

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 408
Art,
Having been an Elvis Costello fan since '79, I couldn't wait to see him on this currant tour with Emmylou Harris. He finally came through town two weeks ago. It was a great show--my seventh time seeing him live. Emmylou was on stage more than what was the case with the DVD.

I will be picking up the DVD soon. I see it has a DTS track.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1929
I picked up "Fellowship of the Ring" today and the origional "Blade". I've seen both, but not since their origional releases. Heck, it's been almost 10 years since I've seen Blade, so that should be almost like watching it for the first time again. The only thing I remember was Snipes Cutting down Vamps, and turning them to dust...HEH.

I just got back from a long 5 day weekend visiting the family out of state and have reserved this day to relax, drink a few beers, and enjoy some motion picture showes and let that SVS do it's 'thang':-)

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 806
Paul,

Watch the level on the LFE on "Blade" if Armageddon rings a bell?

That's got some huge dynamitic dynamics in it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 807
Paul

Whoops, sorry I didn't see "The Lord of the Rings part 1" that one too, both those films, I've got them I'll do an LFE test on them as soon a humanly as possible, as I'm going slowly though the 700 plus films on DVD closely to see which one as the highest peak level.

Silver Member

Post Number: 808
Paul,

Do you own a (SPL) sound pressure level meter for cheeking the highest peak level, but do you know the frequency response or the range of it, not that it may be of any paramount, importance to you buy a good (RTA) with Mic some models like (DOD) and (Alesis) have some affordable units out there, while some can cost $600.00 plus or more but they are damn good, indispensable....

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 410
Paul,
"US Marshals" plane crash has to be some SVS sub-woofer testing ground.

Andy? An LFE test on this one?

Silver Member

Post Number: 816
John S

I'll have a look out for this film as it's a kinder, sequel to the 1993 summer hit "The Fugitive" has I have "The Fugitive" on DVD, I'll but this on the list for today I'll look out for it down at the HMV or ASAD store for best buy low price?

Leaving the settings as they are at present, I'll say it may just come in under 0db reference peak level on the LFE?

Well anything is possible and so far Star Wars Episode 4 as hit 0db peak on the LFE, smooth too?

Let you guys know when I get hold of it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1933
I never got to blade.....

After watching LOTR part 1, I played part 2. I'll probably watch part 3 tomorrow.

Silver Member

Post Number: 818
Well I found a copy of "U.S Marshals" at the virgin mega store at the Bournemouth Hampshire centre, after looking all over the centre of Bournemouth in 5 different stores and HMV had it going for £19.95, BUGGER ME MAN, I'm not paying that, so later in the day, at around 6:45pm I set off down to the Hampshire centre, where I found it, and going for £5.95, that's more like it and cheaper than the WET Fish Cinema in Westover Road The Odeon, hehehe.

Now after testing it the results are on, The LFE Test page, it wasn't all that bad a film, sure it's just a starter's course film before the real main courses come?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2033
Last night I watched "The Core" on ShowtimeHD. The whole concept of the movie was completely unbelievable, but it was a fun scifi flick nevertheless. It also had excellent LFE effects, and it's amazing how good a Sat signal can sound.

I also watched "Mercury Rising" on HDnet. While it was a fun action flick, I just couldnt get past the ignorant retarded presumption that the govt agency wanted to murder the boy and his family. They must have had Michael Moore and his conspiracy theory pals assist in the writing of this movie .....LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 937
"The Core" I haven't done an LFE test on that yet to see, if it's as high as "Fight Club" and "Master and Commander I'll report on have a report on it before the end of the week, the very least the week end as the LFE test is very tiresome to conduct.

As well as, a few more titles?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2077
Tonight I watched a very interesting movie......."Sin City".

This is definitely not what I would classify as a regular movie(very strange), but an interesting watch nevertheless. It had a DTS soundtrack too:-)

Some nice boobage too.....

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 997
I thought that movie rocked, but I really dig the "detective " type of narrative in storytelling.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3520
Great movie, it really transferred well to the screen. I'm a Frank Miller fan.

What I really don't like is the type of story telling where in the narrator dies on the screen. You are supposed to be dead, how are you telling us this life story of yours?

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1017
lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 2096
Maybe he narrated the entire movie standing there in the snow?
LOL..

I agree Berny, that part didnt really make sense. I've never read frank miller, and didnt know what was going on when the made the transition from the first to 2nd story. I was like...........what???

At first, I was wondering if the x-cop was the guy who got 'old sparky', but back in time before his face got messed up. After a short while, I figured they were separate stories within the same big picture. I can see this having a huge CULT following.

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1021
Hellraiser:Inferno for me tonight. I love a senseless horror flick every now and again.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2100
Im going to watch 1 or 2 later tonight, but I havent decided which ones. I'll decide as soon as I finish grilling burgers for dinner:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2122
Ahhh...I feel bad for those who dont have their own home cinema....

Last night the movies were "Blade"....yes, the origional. I havent seen that in what?....10 years? Can it be that old?? Anyway, it was a fun flick and what I expected. The second movie was "Timeline"...not a big blockbuster, but one of my cult favorites. A fun action adventure.

Tonight, it was "Forest Gump"...maybe one of the best movies ever made. A definite classic. How many presidents did he meet?...LOL

Then, I finishe the night off with "Man on Fire".....one of Denzils' best movies ever. Woah.....a classic that slid under the radar. Hmmmm........

Movies, anyone?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1674
now "Forrest Gump" is a movie I'd consider owning, have watched it many times and it has yet to get old.

Just saw "In The Mood For Love" tonight...wow, wow, wow!!! Visually stunning and the soundtrack too---no explosions or rumbles just gorgeous music to go with the gorgeous images onscreen.

http://www.wkw-inthemoodforlove.com/eng/homepg/homepg.asp

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/in_the_mood_for_love/

Gold Member

Post Number: 1121
How about the film "CRYBABY" arr....

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1057
Man on fire has to be one of the best films of the last five years in my op.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1688
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/man_on_fire/

I dunno Joseph, 39% scares me.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 416
Man on Fire:

"Maybe the film should be called Man on Fire Whose Bleeding Gunshot Wounds Won't Stop Him."

The end of this movie was just too much!

"And while Washington has a sullen physicality, he is just too good and too smart of an actor to be credible as a character that is a bit more up Vin Diesel's alley."

Maybe, but considering Diesel's limited acting chops, it's hard to imagine him making the suicide contemplation scenes work. Even Denzel didn't quite make that work.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1195
John,

It was a bit lame, though I did really, liked really, really, like Denzel Washington's performance in "Glory" best supporting actor 1989 and "Training Day" best actor 2001 that cop he played was a real pig of nasty works, gee would like to for someone like that.....

Ashley

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1563
I'm in the minority here I guess, I really wasn't impressed with "Man on Fire". I'll have to watch it again. If it gets down to five smackers I'll buy it for my Denzel collection.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1209
Yeah if I see it going for £5.00 at "HMV" "Virgin mega store" or "ASDA" at that price I second Art Kyle's opinion, £5.00.

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1087
Try "Spartan" with Val Kilmer.

Silver Member
Username: Stars

Post Number: 145
wow, this is a long thread! What kind of movies u guys talking about? :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1218
Well if you didn't read most of it, then I shall put it plainly, all types of films action romance horror sci-fi westerns musicals, just about everything that Hollywood and the rest of world, which they have been doing for over one hundred years, now and with somewhere in the region of 3.9 to 4.7 million motion pictures worldwide, it will be impossible to see them all.

With new ones hitting the screens before you can see a back catalogue of 100, you'll never ever catch up, and like master of cinema suspense once said.

"It's only a movie."
Alfred Hitchcock

"Vertigo" now that's a cinema classic, and the restoration version is a treat, and the opening is fantastic with score by "Bernard Herrmann" its swiping string movement gives the viewer with Lucasfilm THX sound system the power and feel that you are too getting dizzy with "Sal Bass" and his titles, "Hail Hitchcock."

Ashley

Gold Member

Post Number: 1219
"HEAT"

Al Pacino, Robert De niro, and Val Kilmer

GO! With that bank heist all gone wrong with the crew and cops all exchanging rapid gunfire that is still the best use weaponry sound effects still to this day 10- years after I saw this in the cinema with, only Dolby Stereo SR type, still a classic.....

Ashley

Silver Member
Username: Stars

Post Number: 146
o.......k.......

Gold Member

Post Number: 1221
O....K........

What is this don't you mean "Gunfight at the ok coral"

Haven't seen that one yet, then again "Wyatt Earp" with "Kevin Costner"

That too, and the famous shootout WOW, with THX its like being there...

Get the picture.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3656
nah, maybe more like "Tombstone", with Kurt Russell:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1226
"Tombstone"
I'm a big "Kurt Russell" fan,

Yeah, can't seam to get that one over hear, in full six-track Dolby digital as of yet, only in Pro-logic on DVD that sucks when it's an original Dolby digital mix....

So I'll wait until they release it in full spectrum Dolby digital, who knows it might even have dts as well.....

Gold Member

Post Number: 3660
Yes it is also in DTS

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005RHGL

Can you get your hands on a Region 1 DVD player?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1228
Berny,

Cheers for that information there, I guess it a question of whether there going to re-release it, though I sure for sure, I've only seen a pro-logic version, I'll keep my eyes pealed.

Oh I only have region 2 not all regions, as yes I'll be buying the region 1, Just like the good ole Laserdisc days......"Hail Laserdisc"

Gold Member

Post Number: 1229
"Hail Laserdisc" without regional coding, get the picture?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2173
Where do you have your Laserdisc in your component rack??

Right above the 8-track player?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1242
No right blow the 24 track multi-tack....

Gold Member

Post Number: 2204
YEA!!

Just picked up "Die Hard" boxed set, and getting ready to fire that DTS muther' up. I'll definitely(at least) watch parts 1&2 tonight:-)

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 422
I just love it when that body falls on the cop's car.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2246
Ahhhh......college football has arrived. Nothing like watching the first game of the year in HD:-)
I took delivery of 65" Mitsu the day after OSU thrashed Michigan last November, so Im looking forward to a new football season.

And yes, I turned the SVS up to about 60%, just so I can feel the on screen graphic sound effects.

HEH

It's not enough to be overpowering or make things rattle, but just enough to feel them inside your body:-)

Ahhhhhhh, yes....

Football anyone??

In about 39hrs, I'll get to watch my Buckeyes kick some serious butt!!

Silver Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 943
went and saw the Transporter 2 the other night.

it was pretty cool and was definitely action packed, but there were several times where the action was outlandish, not believable by any standards, and didn't look real.:-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1647
How'd those Buckeyess do. My uncle used to live in Columbus. He attended every Buckeye game for over 50 yrs. I attended Oregon State and we are 2-0. We have a big matchup against #11 Louisville this Saturday at their house.

Oh how I love football season. Especially OSU and the NFL (even though my Seahawks always stink).

Gold Member

Post Number: 2373
Louisville is overrated and has a doesnt play many 'real' football teams. They've NEVER beat any real football powers to date and feed off mediocre competition. I wouldnt be surprised if your team beats them in their house. If Louisville was in the Big10, they'd do extremely well to win 8 games during one of their 'up' years and would finish in the middle of the pack with Wisky, Purdue and the likes of those teams.

The Bucks obviously took a tough one on the chin, but because they lost to a good team, they only dropped from #4 to #9 in the rankings. Im still optimistic they can win out, but stranger things happen in football.

My prediction is this........
There will only be one undefeated team this season, and a 1 loss team will play in the rose bowl. If OSU wins out, guaranteed....they'll be the team playing in the Rose Bowl. However, winning out is far less likely.(but possible)

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 446
From today's Columbus Dispatch:

No more flip-flopping with QBs
Tressel hints at making mistake, settles on Smith as starter
"Admitting mistakes is hard for Jim Tressel, at least publicly. But the Ohio State coach came close yesterday as he discussed his reasons for naming Troy Smith the starting quarterback for the foreseeable future."

Winning out would obviously be a significant achievement, especially in view of an offence that needs leadership.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 447
oldboy Korean, 2hrs, DD and DTS 5.1 Korean, DD 5.1 English dubbed, English subtitle optional.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/oldboy/

Gold Member

Post Number: 2382
John,
I read that yesterday. I keep a fairly close eye on what's going on. I also read that Hamby was getting hatemail. Granted, I was disappointed in the kid for dropping a TD that would have put the Bucks up by 10 instead of 6 late in the game....but geez, that's uncalled for. You also cant blame Huston for missing the 50yd field goal...I mean c'mon, he had already made 5...what more can you ask of him??

Getting 3 TO's deep in Texas territory and scoring zero TDs was OSUs undoing........that was pathetic. Look for smith get get much better now that he's getting reps. Lets not forget, Zwick was the starter all summer with the first team, and Smith was on the sidelines. Once he gets in the flow, he'll look a lot better. I feel bad for Zwick, but agree with the decision to sit him down. To me, Smith has that "IT" factor that wins games, and Zwick doesnt.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2400
Movies, anyone??

Last night was the new version of "Dawn of the Dead". A Fun flick, and the only one where Zombies run faster than hell. No lumbering zombies in this flick.......HEH For the scenes that had them, there was some gret LFE thunder too in just the right moments.
Then I watched "The Godfather" for the first time in about 1 year. That's always an awesome flick....

Im getting ready now to watch "Universal Soldier-The Return", and then I'll watch "Godfather II" once that finishes up:-)

Can you see a trend??? One early flick with some sizzle, and then a later flick that wont be so loud as to raise the dead...HEH

Oh yea, and I bought "HERO" and "Bad Boys" today, but Im saving those for Friday, beer, and Pizza night. I havent seen either of those, but I do own "Bad BoysII" and it was a killer flick. I figure part 1 can only be better.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1687
Yesterday I watched Kurt Russell in "Soldier". I know it received poor reviews but I don't give a rip, I like it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2004
saw "The Aviator" finally. That Kate Beckinsale is one amazing babe...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2460
Yea, Soldier was a regular flop, but I liked it too. Eddie probably wouldnt like it because he's into girly flicks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2026
True Paul, I'd much rather watch films with hot women in them than films about sweaty grunting hairy men who barely put two sentences together.

HEH, you know Paul, there may well be a certain side of you that you need to explore... Get my drift?

Don't be ashamed of it, Paul---if you swing from the other side of the plate then that's just who you are, it's like being born left handed instead of right handed.

You could always join the Log Cabin Republicans!

Yes Paul, come home...come home to who you REALLY are!

LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 2475
Watching a bunch of hairy armpit and smelly non deoderant using euro women is a turnoff for me, but so long as you enjoy your movies.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2032
On the contrary, there is nothing more arousing than a sweaty woman's musky scent---especially if it's emanating from delicate curls of armpit hair!

Unfortunately with all this creeping global Americanization, it's harder and harder to find a girl who doesn't shave her armpits and wear deodorant even in Europe. Sigh!

Hmm, I don't suppose you're much of a muff-diver are you Paul? Seeing as how you dislike the true feminine essence.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1711
LOL!!!! I agree with you both and leave it to your imagination what I agree with. Let it suffice to say that my wife ain't missin' out on anything.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2511
I watched Godfather3 last night, and have to disagree that the third installment is inferior to the first two. I think it's right up there with the others. The only reason people dont like it is because of the extreme tragic nature of the ending.

Speaking of bad endings, has anybody seen the ending of the "Butterfly Effect" from the directors cut?? The first time I saw it was by accident and it threw me for a loop.....LOL I didnt realize I was watching the flipside. I noticed a couple added scenes during the movie, but didnt think much about them, but when the ending came.....woah....It's hard to miss that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2124
> Let it suffice to say that my wife ain't missin' out on anything.

Then I am positive that Mrs. Kyle is a far happier camper than Mrs. Ohstbucks! ah, now I know why you get to buy whatever audio you want whenever you want...

There's a great scene in "Braveheart" where that hot hot French actress, Sophie Marceau, complains to Mel Gibson: "these English men, they know not what tongues are for." LOL!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2125
Actually I didn't mind Godfather 3 too much, the only thing I minded in that movie was the director casting his daughter (Sofia Coppola) who couldn't act her way out of a paper bag.

On the other hand she turned out to be a very good director herself, made "Lost In Translation."

Gold Member

Post Number: 2514
Lost in translation??
LOL...
that had to be the worst movie ever made, and was one of the few that I had to turn off halfway through. If figures you'd like it considering your horrid movie taste. Speaking of his daughter, she was also the baby in the famous climatic baptism scene at the end of the origional movie.

I can only remember 'tossing' only one other movie halfway through in the past year, and that was "God & Country". It was an old Denzil Washington flick, so I figured it wouldnt be that bad. Woah.....it was awful. The good news is that I only paid $5 for it. Heck, it would have cost me $4 just to rent it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2132
Sure Paul, as I recall "L.I.T." had zero explosions, car chases or shootouts...your mighty SVS must've had a good nap so that's probably what drove you away heh? Just an original and true-to-life story with a great script and some very talented actors...o the horror!

BTW Paul you are evading the question of tuna tacos very skillfully.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2133
> The good news is that I only paid $5 for it. Heck, it would have cost me $4 just to rent it.

Not if you had Netflix, big boy!

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 452
I'll leave the tuna taco question to other more learned participants on this thread. Edster...I couldn't agree more on your opinion of Sophie Marceau. I first noticed her when I made a couple of tape to tape copies for a friend back in '99. The movie was Firelight.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/firelight/

I would never have rented this (haunting love story/chick flick) movie, but I must say I enjoyed it. Sophie is hot hot hot. Unfortunately the movie is unreleased on DVD. If it were, I would watch it again.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1780
Alright then, last night I watched "U571" and OMG I thought I was gonna tear the roof off of the house. The new Hsu sub added a whole new meaning to the term "depth charges"...good grief. Then I watched Jane Monheit "Live at the Rainbow Room" niiiice....

Gold Member

Post Number: 2228
Hmm, gotta see how "Lord of the Rings" and "The Incredibles" does with that Hsu!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1831
Last night watched "Spy Game" (fun but predictable), "The Other Sister" (I really like this movie even though it shamelessly pulls at the heartstrings), and "The Boondock Saints" (HORRIBLE flick, I turned it off after 45 minutes). So far the Yammie performing quite nicely for a budget receiver. It ain't in the same league as the big boys but it does quite nicely.

Edster I won't be watching "The Incredibles" for awhile as I just watched it 2 weeks before I bought the Hsu. I am due to see LOR again soon.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2328
I'm sure LOTR will provide ample sub-testing material! Especially the part in the first one when all the orcs are swarming after them in Moria...

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1835
Boondock Saints is one of my favorite movies.
you must not like Tarantino-type films.:-(

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1847
I own "Tarantino-type" films. "Boondock Saints" is a very poor imitation of the real thing. Acting, directing, pretty much anywhere a film can fall on it's face this one did it. Watch it again and see if you still like it.

There are a lot of films that I like that are questionable so I ain't got no room to talk.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2353
I haven't seen "Boondock Saints" but I know just what you mean about lousy Tarantino-wannabe flicks.

One of the worst I saw was "Double Whammy," even 10 seconds of a half-naked Elizabeth Hurley was not worth it.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1863
LOL !!!! I never did see "Double Whammy" and after what you just said I don't think I will. Took "The Boondock Saints" to work today and couldn't even give it away. Who knows maybe I'll just put in my collection and use it on a rainy evening when my wife is in Seattle and I want to tip a few and watch a bad movie, or not.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2456
ah, when I want to watch a really bad movie I rent "Showgirls"---now THAT is what I call Cringe City!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2457
Sharon Stone in "Sliver" is another load of unintended laughs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2529
Just saw "Master and Commander" last night. Now THAT is a movie that actually makes surround sound worth having! Very engrossing 2 hours...

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 477
"Life is not the amount of breaths you take--it's the moments that take your breath away." --HITCH

Predictable, yet funny. The perfect date movie.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1973
Hey Eddie did you notice that your surrounds were doing more than 10% of the work.

My pick for best movie release this year is "Crash". I watched it last night and it may be the best movie I've seen in years. It was engaging from beginning to end. An incredibly intelligent look at America and human nature. Highly recommended!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2597
> Hey Eddie did you notice that your surrounds were doing more than 10% of the work.

HEH yes I did Art...maybe 25% this time. (see my detailed breakdown in the speakers section)

Isn't "Crash" the film about a bunch of people who get se xual thrills out of being in car accidents? I thought it was shot in Canada.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1978
No it's set in L.A.. I would be surprised if you didn't just love "Crash". The messages vary from the subtle (you have to be of "us" to understand) to the obvious, and often simultaneously.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2602
Oh, now I remember, Matt Dillon plays a racist LA cop. Yeah I wanted to see it, is it out on dvd already? I'll have to netflix it then.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1991
BTW no I did not see your center channel comments in the speaker section. Would you be so kind as to show me the way.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2612
Here you go:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/167666.html

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2004
Now that I have read it I wish that I hadn't. Eddie, more and more films (not less and less) use all of the channels in a meaningful way.

It's like saying that I want to hear all of my Nora Jones CD but I can live with just the left channel on my Herbie Hancock disc. I don't get your reluctance to do multi channel right. I know you like to save money but timbre matching speakers in a system is essential to getting the HT experience right.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2620
> Eddie, more and more films (not less and less) use all of the channels in a meaningful way.

Well since neither of us have any reliable statistics nor a consensus on what that "meaningful way" entails, I think this disagreement is headed about the same direction as our xr55 disagreement, i.e. nowhere.

Speaking of Norah Jones, I saw her "Live In New Orleans" concert DVD the other night, and tonight I just watched Diana Krall's Paris concert. Wow, it's like night and day...Krall is so much more charismatic and relaxed, along with her whole band. It was like watching professional versus high school football. I love Norah's first album, less so her second one, but I don't think I'll ever be in a rush to go buy a ticket to any of her concerts.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 487
The Krall Paris disc is still the first thing I play to show off the HT. The video is about as good as DVD gets and the dts track is very good indeed. Yes I can do explosions pretty well, as long as I turn the woofers up to a non-musical level. The only problem with this disc is that, while the voice is nicely spread along the front, the piano seems to come from every direction equally. But this is a complaint with this specific mix, not with surround in general. I do feel that most people with any sort of surround system have the rears cranked up way too high. They went to the expense and trouble of installing them and bygod they want hear 'em all the time.

Regarding Krall vs. Jones, it should be mentioned that Krall is 15 years older and has tons more professional experience. Not to mention just a tad more talent and technique.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2028
Nora may not have charisma but my ain't she fine.

Diana's group in that DVD (Paris) is first rate. What a great DVD! Anyone seen the Branford Marsalis "Love Supreme" DVD.....WOW!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2664
I knew you'd like Nora's curves, Art! And actually I do too...wouldn't really call her "chubby" though. "Pleasantly plump" maybe? LOL

Just added the Marsalis DVD to my Netflix qeue...

BTW what did you think of the Spike Lee jazz movie, "Mo Better Blues?"

Bronze Member
Username: Mojoracer

Post Number: 35
Watched "Saving Private Ryan" last night and man!, the explosions through-out the whole movie and the thunderstorm, not to mention the landing on the beach sequence was incredible....

Gold Member

Post Number: 2680
just saw an old 1978 Peter Sellers classic, "Being There"---it was a mono (center channel only) soundtrack but I didn't care, this was the most rip-roaring HILARIOUS film I've seen in a long, long time!

I wonder if Sellers had any idea that he was impersonating our current President, in many ways!

Really incisive political and cultural satire too, but won't leave your funny bone alone.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2046
"BTW what did you think of the Spike Lee jazz movie, "Mo Better Blues?"

Bad movie fun tunes!

C'mon Edster have you seen "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" or "Crash" yet. These are must see flicks that I think you will really enjoy.

Yep mojoed "Private Ryan" is a true test of the old HT.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2697
"Crash" and "Standing..." should be arriving by Tuesday or Wednesday. God I love Netflix!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2056
They are already at my house. God I don't need Netflix...lol.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 490
Marsalis DVD is on its way to my HT. Which reminds me how long it's been since I've heard the Coltrane. "A Love Supreme" was a conundrum in my college days, but we knew it was destined to be an important piece of 20th Century music.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2734
Just saw "Crash"---couldn't stand more than an hour of it. Reminded me a lot of "Grand Canyon" which is another set-in-LA heavy-handed, melodramatic and soapbox pop-psychology flakefest treatement of sociocultural issues about 3 miles wide and 1 inch deep. I actually was able to sit through "Grand Canyon" (though yes I cringed a lot too) but the reason I bolted from "Crash" was because of how totally predictable and implausible everything became---especially the part where the husband whose wife was mo lested by a racist cop goes nuts and overpowers 2 carjackers and purposefully gets himself shot by different cops, preceded by the same racist cop ends up saving the life of the woman he mo lested by sheer coincidence.

This movie might have some noble motives but is the most unwatchably preachy, predictable and hopelessly contrived movie I've seen in a long time. The dialogue is also hilariously bad---everybody talks pretty much the same, totally out of character, like the working class Mexican locksmith explaining to his daughter the meaning of the word "impenetrable." Also irritating is a pretentious soundtrack that rips off bits of New Age and vaguely Eastern music.

What a waste of some very good actors! Hold your nose...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2078
Edster you are strange. I watched "Grand Canyon" not long ago and they aren't remotely similar. You sure can tell you are white folk. Had you watched the whole thing you would have noticed how unpredictable it really was.

It's funny how you as a white liberal have come to a different conclusion about the movie than any of my black and mexican friends. We believe we saw alot of truth about human nature. As is often the case we are more forgiving of you than you are.

"especially the part where the husband whose wife was mo lested by a racist cop goes nuts and overpowers 2 carjackers and purposefully gets himself shot by different cops"

What movie did you watch, this didn't happen. You must have taken a pottie break at about that time. He didn't get himself shot. You should watch it again and this time forget that I am the antipanny...lol.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2079
Well Eddie I considered your reaction to the movie whilst showering this morning and must ask that you watch the whole thing. This time use the pause button when you go p p..lol. The husband does not get shot by the cops, you missed that.

I ask you to watch the whole thing to see if you at least understand the message that my friends and I find so powerful. Who we are on the outside, and I don't mean just appearance but also behavior, is just part of who we are. There is something deeper in all of us and it sometimes takes extraordinary circumstances to see that manifest. It aslo speaks to how we become who we are. What contributes to bias and hate.

Hey, I watched all of "Huckabees"...lol!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2738
Geez Art, what on earth makes you think I was of the paler persuasion? I'm afraid you're as completely wrong about that as you are about the Panny...lol

To be honest I did walk out just as the husband approaches the cops and dares them to shoot him. I had been cringeing, sighing, groaning, and rolling my eyes nonstop for the previous 45 minutes such that it was annoying my wife...the movie pretty much started to go downhill about from the point where the Iranian shopkeeper starts yelling at the Mexican locksmith telling him to fix his door. (Reminded me of "The Terminal" which is also a simple-minded, one-note snooze.) It was painfully obvious to me what was going to happen next to just about every single one of the characters, this movie telegraphs everything ten miles away.

You're right I didn't see the whole movie but tell me if I'm mistaken on its all-capital-letters MESSAGE: that yes we have racist attitudes and behavior but it's an understandable result of our eternally screwed up environment and circumstances, at heart we really aren't all that bad just damaged and confused, cumbiyah cumbiyah cumbiyah, and (my guess here) inevitably miracles will happen to show us that the good in us is stronger than the bad. La di da!

This in itself is not an inaccurate conclusion but it's just so OBVIOUS and COMMONPLACE, and the film gets it across by standing on a soapbox with a bullhorn and pulling the strings of its by-the-number cardboard characters who don't really talk but have comically overwritten SPEECHES all the time.

If this film were written and produced by say a group of high school students I might find it forgivable in its contrived and heavy-handed style.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2739
PS. ok, I *may* attempt to finish this movie later today. Will do so well after a big meal.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2080
Eduardo how sure are you that I don't know? Lord, we mess with each other..lol. It's all in fun though. Better get back to work.

"the movie pretty much started to go downhill about from the point where the Iranian shopkeeper starts yelling at the Mexican locksmith telling him to fix his door. (Reminded me of "The Terminal" which is also a simple-minded, one-note snooze.) It was painfully obvious to me what was going to happen next"

You may change your mind when you see the whole thing. Honestly you should start it over. This movie holds together as a whole. There is a little predictability but not much. After all you predicted the husbands demise erroneously.

"inevitably miracles will happen to show us that the good in us is stronger than the bad. La di da!"

In some of us Edster not all, that is the strongest part of the movie. It's not a one size fits all movie. There is a difference between big talk and right walk.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2745
OK, I just finished it and breathed a sigh of relief that it did not turn out 100% the way I predicted---this takes more of a "Magnolia" Zen-like ending but all in all the film still feels very contrived and pompous.

I've seen much better films on racial issues ("Higher Education" and early Spike Lee films)which have a lot more dark humor and wit, this one really just takes itself way too seriously and tries way too hard to be "deep."

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2083
"("Higher Education" and early Spike Lee films)"

Different statement from a different population. Remember where this one comes from. The black perspective on race will differ from others.

"Crash" is one of the first honest looks at racism, free from the need for political correctness, that I have ever seen. It doesn't paint anyone or group as wrong or bad but paints a more complex picture that includes some of the elements that make us human and contributes to the cognitive files that we so often put people in. Well done IMO.

Thanks for finishing it I appreciate that.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2150
Eddie did you see Motown yet. Don't tell me have complaints about it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2817
No Art, have been on a 5 day road trip, will be back on Tuesday and that DVD has been sitting on top of my TV for the past week, courtesy blessed ole Netflix.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2173
I've been a bit busy myself lately. Had my first grandchild last week. My daughter gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. I've been hanging out with them down in Springfield.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2831
Congrats!

Come to think of it I haven't seen a movie for almost 2 weeks...OMG!!! lol

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2177
Thanks Eddie. You need to fire up the Panny and get to it!

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 500
Been three years since I saw Motown, but the thing I remember most is how the Funk Brothers still rocked like a well oiled machine. Their work got lost on most of those old Motown hits played on AM in the car....

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2185
Right on John.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2903
just saw "Sin City"---wow! Richard Rodriguez turns out yet another winner.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2260
Still waiting for your take on the Motown disc.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2999
sorry Art, I been busy and tonight was just in the mood for an easy goof-off movie, so I popped into the local Kroger, they have these great automated $1/night DVD rental vending machines, got "Batman Begins"---surprisingly very good! Did make me wish I had a better sub though.

Liam Neeson is such an amazing actor...

Anyways, hope to do the Motown movie on Sunday.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 515
Edster we agree on "Batman Begins". Made me wish my TV had better blacks.

For some reason, I had a slight problem with Michael Caine as Alfred. Normally, I love MC, but this time his ironic smirk didn't fit. Katie Holmes is a cutie though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3005
yeah I also thought Michael Caine was somehow not quite right in that role. Sounded like he was exaggerating his English accent too.

Katie Holmes is indeed a cutie, though she looks tailor made for horror movies where you need some deer-in-the-headlights adorable female who is constantly on the verge of being fileted by the psycho madman. Not a real wide acting range though.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2274
I enjoyed "Batman Begins" very much. And oh yeah Katie is indeed something to behold. Definitely my type, or as Eddie knows one of my many types.

Just bought 2 copies of "Motown" at Borders, 2 for $12. Stocking stuffers for xmas.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 516
Tonight I came across on the HDNET channel:
Night Out With The Funk Brothers, live at the 25th Annual Montreal Jazz Festival. In DD 5.1 and Hi-Def video. Excellent.

Since I have no access to long-term scheduling on my HD channels, I have to come across these shows by accident.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3010
OK, just saw "Motown" tonight...excellent documentary! I liked all the interviews and even the re-enactments were pretty good. Those guys all seem like amazing characters, it's a shame they didn't get more fame and wealth for their genius.

One thing though: sorry to say, but I realized that I have never been very fond of this type of music...just way the hell too darn happy happy happy!!! I'm no Goth "death-metal" fan, but I guess I do like my music to have SOME sort of dark edge, or at least a tiny shade of melancholy, and most of the songs were all just so alarmingly upbeat!

(LOL now Art will really think I'm a freak, on top of my Panny affliction.)

PS. Part of the reason I wasn't too crazy about it was the modern singers they had doing the vocals during the actual reunion concert. That guy Ben Harper, who I had never heard of, was especially uninspiring. Joan Osborne was...well, she just ain't got the lungs or the vocal cords for this kind of music I'm sorry to say, maybe this is reverse prejudice. The black girl with the unspellable African name was the best of the bunch I thought.

Maybe if they had just made it an instrumental concert... lol

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2293
You're plum pitiful !!! Never heard of Ben Harper. Have you been livin' in a cave. After the Panny you had no credibility left to lose....but you lost it anyway...lol! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Eddie.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3040
thanks Art, Happy TG to you and yours too!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3041
btw, just saw "Ong Bak: Thai Warrior" tonight, first heard of this film through a martial arts forum I used to participate in.

WOW, this new guy Tony Jaa is a real physical genius...maybe he really is the next Bruce Lee, his stunts are amazing and zero wires, safety nets, or computer enhancement. In the "special features behind-the-scenes" clip there's one scene where you see that he literally sets himself on fire without wearing any protective clothing...nuts!

It was nice to see all the Muay Thai kickboxing moves (elbows and knees) for a change, though he does sell out and throw in some totally unrealistic Hollywood jump spinning kicks to pretty it up some.

Well, THIS is definitely not a movie you watch for the acting or dialogue, shall we say. Fun and funny though, even if a lot of the "funny" was unintentional. Tony Jaa really EMBARASSES the heck out of Stallone, Arnie, Seagall, Van Damme, and all of those other Hollywood fakes.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2326
Hey Eddie, want to blow up up your sub and make your system unhappy in general? Watch "War of the Worlds". Not the greatest movie but the soundtrack is earth shattering. I'd be interested to see if Paul leveled his home with that one.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3105
well Art I already dislike all these "save the world" sci-fi flicks (refused to see "Independence Day") so I don't know if I could stomach watching Tom Cruise for 2 hours, he's got to be one of the worst actors on the planet...

From the sounds of it "WOTW" would more likely level my pitiful little JBL sub more than anything. LOL

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3200
"""I don't know if I could stomach watching Tom Cruise for 2 hours, he's got to be one of the worst actors on the planet..."""

I TOTALLY 2nd that - he's so flipping lame , look how he 4cup the Mission Impossible movies & also 4cup the poor villagers in "the last samurai" - i got so pissing vex when i saw how only he alone survived & made every1 else die ....

Yet still hollywood licks his @ss 2 make more crappy movies - ewwwwwww !......

Gold Member

Post Number: 3107
To be fair, he did do an ok job in "Collateral" though. And also in "Vanilla Sky" and "Eyes Wide Shut." Never Oscar material, but at least fairly competent in those movies. In these cocky-dude roles he's not too bad, but as an action hero...ewwww is right!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2331
He actually did a competent job in "War". I'm not a big fan of his but the DTS soundtrack is at a level I've never heard before. I found myself wanting for a big buck pre/pro and power amp for even better sound quality but it almost did in all of my gear as it was. Absolutely amazing!

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3212
He still SUX in my book & i try 2 avoid watching anything he "acts" in .

Do like Leslie Nielson - he's so darn funny !.......

Gold Member

Post Number: 3136
Just caught part of a PBS documentary on the first black heavyweight champion, Jack Johnson...just amazing! Now that was one cool dude. Will have to Netflix the whole thing soon.

It's called "Unforgivably Black."

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2358
No it's called "Unforgiveable Blackness". I own it and it is very good. I also have the Wynton Marsalis soundtrack. He used much of the music he composed for the movie "Rosewood" which was never used (I have that cd as well).

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2359
The Miles Davis "Jack Johnson" album is the one to have.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3197
will have to look into the Miles Davis for sure, thanks.

btw did I ever tell you how phenomenal Miles and Coltrane sound on the Panny? Pure bliss!

lol

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2400
One of Miles' finest efforts. Genius!!!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2492
U2 go Home Live From Slane Castle Ireland.

Great DVD and the DTS soundtrack will give your system a nice workout. Music performance is first rate with reference level sound. Good fun.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 607
Finally got around to Sling Blade. Good acting. Barely recognized John Ritter and Robert Duvall. Without his cowboy hat I didn't recognize Dwight Yoakum at all.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2687
I watched Sling Blade last night for the first time in years. It's even better the second time around. 1996 was a good year for Movies. Both Sling Blade and Shine came out that year.

Jess Cretney
Unregistered guest
"I love that little feller...hmmmmm"

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2692
Very good. I see someone else has seen that movie recently.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 659
Revisited "The Straight Story". I've not seen it since I rented the VHS. Could this be the straightest movie David Lynch ever directed? Richard Farnsworth and Sissy Spacek are brilliant.

Tragically, after having been diagnosed with terminal cancer, Farnsworth blew his brains out a year after Straight Story was released.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2856
I didn't know that. Not good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us