Ceditable review?

Silky Johnson
Unregistered guest
can anyone point me in the direction of a review of a JL 13w7. Not just ones that random people post on the net claiming that they have one but a review from a creditable source such as a car audio magazine or something. any help would be great.

blikityboop
Unregistered guest
don't worry about reviews, its an amazing sub, period. Great SQ, Great SPL, unbelievable.

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 551
Forget review, that sub dont need any, its one of the best you can buy. If your not satisfied w/ the JL W7 you shouldnt have a system.

Silky Johnson
Unregistered guest
I dont want to affend you guys but that is exactly what i'm talking about. I dont know if you are fanboys and are just pulling this stuff out of your a$$es or you acctualy have them and are a reliable source of input.

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 132
haha silky johnson, not to to rude or anything but you have no clue how intelligent these guys are when it comes to car audio. these are going to be the best reviwes/opinions on ANYTHING relating to car audio on the net. when they say the JLw7 is an outstanding sub, its true. my friend just got the JL 13w7 and it knocks with top notch SQ. if you have the money to afford JL, go for it. however there are some other subs that could be comparible. BTW, sorry to butt in on your post, but is 1000watts (JL 1000/1 so a little more than listed) underpowering 1 13" JLw7? thats the setup my friend is running but i thought that sub needed closer to 1500 watts to reach optimal level?

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 133
nevermind..on the JL site the 13w7 should be running exactly at 1000 watts...couldnt read the small print. heres a chart for all JL subs if anyones interested http://jlaudio.com/subwoofers/RP_Chart.html anyone know how many dBs that would hit?

Bronze Member
Username: Slap_johnson

Arizona

Post Number: 37
the JL 1000/1 was pretty much specifically made for the 13w7, amazing amp, like ryan said if you got the money, go for it

Anonymous

The thing that i hate about the W7 or most JL products is the PRICE. SO if you looking for SUB that hits hard like W7 with a lower price range just ask around on this forums. Really knowledgeable people on this forums. You can also look into Adireaudio,Reaudio,IDMAX,Treo engineering.

But dont take my words for it because im a newbie myself.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1568
I personally find them to have great SQ in typical subwoofer range, 20-60 hz. However, they can sound a tad boomy in my opinion and sometimes muddy in the midbass transition area (which will make a lot of cars suffer since their subs are in a trunk). Not as sensitive at low power as some other subs out there as well. Basically, from a total SQ standpoint, it suffers from a long voice coil design, and while the polepiece and strong motor combat this, I personally believe in a true underhung motor for best SQ at high volume levels, and at low volumes for that matter, or other methods. After all the marketing and engineering hype that JL put out, I personally don't find it to be what it's cracked up to be, and you think that they would have considered the most important part (motor) ahead of time, it's good, but there is room for improvement. The XBL^2 motor design that Adire Audio and Resonant Engineering use is more advanced IMO. I'm not saying it's a bad sub, but for the money I wouldn't have it, at least not retail. As far as SPL, one 13W7 ported can hit 150 db in the right vehicle. It's a great all around sub, but if you don't have a good component set with a capable midbass, I'd advise you to look elsewhere or truly test out your options ahead of time. If you do have the midbass capability however, it's a great sub, but like said above, there are other cheaper alternatives that are arguably the same or better. I owned a shop that carried JL and if you don't like or trust my review of it, if a magazine reviewed the sub, I'm sure JL would be quick to point it out as it'll be a good review, but remember that magazines can be biased as well ($$$$$ talks), plus they don't test everything out there, so someone raving about the W7 and saying it's the "best you can get" may have never heard a Brahma, X.X.X., ID Max, etc. Big names and brand loyalty consume many out there.

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 101
Well said Jonathan. All one can do is read a users forum such as this, and make up their own mind as to what they are going to run. And then start saving more money to try different things. Until you come up with what YOU (the owner) thinks is the best. It is evident that we have audiobahn owners that think they have the best, same as with some sony, some X.X.X., others are I.D. Max, while some think Adire Audio
And as you said $$$ money talks on reviews in audio rags. Darned shame there is no consumer reports for the audio world. LOL.
In other words Silky, if you got the money buy it, try it, if you don't like it sell it and buy something else that you think you might like, until you find the system that pleases you. Just remember that you can change the way you whole system sounds just by the size of your box (damn I hope your not a girl) whether its a sealed-ported-slot ported-bandpass-what amp you have running the thing. And believe me the amp does make a difference. Just Buy---Try you will eventually get it the way you want it, That's what the rest of us have done. Some of us are still doing.
That's why I read this forum, Although some seem to be biased, it's because they have been there done that. Reality reviews and I have saved the price of the rag. which is more money for a system.

Silky Johnson
Unregistered guest
thanks for the imput guys
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us