Working out a system, I need tips from the experienced...

Username: Skema

Manch, NH US

Post Number: 1
Whatup, I'm new here but will try to be around regularly.

I am getting my first car tommorrow...a beater-s$ Oldsmobile Achieva S (1994) with ample truck space and all factory equipment. I plan on putting together something that really bumps.

I have spent a lot of time recently reading up on whats for sale and sh1t. I have been leaning towards JL's. Either the w0's or the w3's. whichever it is, I will have two of them in a ported box. I have already arranged to get a buddy's mint pioneer deck that was about 170$ when he got it last year and hasn't used it since.

I would obviously like to put the w3's in if money allows. My biggest question is what is the difference between the 10w3v2's and the 12w3v2's if they both put out 300w RMS as noted in JL's specs. Will the 12's hit deeper?

Yes, I am also as poor as Marlon Brando right before he died so I have to keep in mind how much the amp is going to run me up. What kind of price ranges am i talking about for the aforementioned setups.

I plan on using the finest wiring i can get my hands on. I hear its an easy way to ensure better sound quality. Can I use this bridging idea, which i do not yet fully understand to get more power out of a somewhat smaller amp?

I want low lows and decent sound quality, but most of all i want this to BUMP.

Bronze Member
Username: Grantley

North Canton, Ohio

Post Number: 24
Welcome to the board! You're right about the sound quality coming from good wiring because your amp needs to be reliably hooked up to produce sound. :-) As far as getting some great wiring look up the guys at www.knukonceptz.com. They'll already have a couple of kits made up in 4 gauge wire sizes and that will include your RCA cables to run from your head unit to the amp and they have the greatest wire I've seen so far. Great service too... I'd lean away from the JL subs as far as sound quality. They have some decent thump but they're very 'loose' when it comes to sounding good as far as SQ. Take a look at the Image Dynamics IDMAX 12 sub. It's running in the same price range. Cerwin Vega sound good too and Kicker will bump hard as well as sound good. Take a look at the Hifonics Brutus amp line. They start off at the Brutus 500D and go all the way up to the Brutus 1500D. Keep your RMS matched pretty closely and you should be good to go.

Bronze Member
Username: Jessejames

NB, PA USA

Post Number: 34
The one thing about buying 'quality' cables... the power wire and ground wire and such, you can buy anywhere, they don't affect sound quality, they are just used to transfer power from the battery to the amp. Though quality RCA's is a must, they keep away all interference, crosstalk, and engine noise.
The JL's are popular, though most of the people on here would suggest Kicker comps and VMAX, which is are very nice subs for the price. What i heard about the JL's are that they hit harder in a sealed box. the SPL aint bad, sq could be better. the difference between the 10's and 12's is the same in all subs, the 10's usually hit more punchy and clear with less distortion. The 12's will give you a more loud booming bass, and hit lows pretty well. things change depending on the quality and type of sub. well, this should clear things up.

Manch, NH US

Post Number: 3
Alright, so I believe I'll be needing some 12's.

I think I have two main questions now...

1. What kind of price range are we talking about (american) for Kicker comps? Without any bias, can you see any main benefits between kickers and W3's?

2. Assuming I have two 12's running at 300 watts RMS apiece, what kind of power handling am I looking at in terms of an amp. Do you add the total RMS watts of both subs to get the minimum size amplifier you need? If the quality of amp really affects sound, what kind of price range am i looking at for a medium-high quality amp that can power these subs adequately?

Thanks for the help.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1225
Personally, instead of two mediocre subs, try investing in a single higher quality sub. If you want more output, consider a ported box, I guarantee you there are plenty of subs out there that only one will hit harder than two W3s or Kicker Comp VRs, and sound better doing it. What's your budget for all of this?

Manch, NH US

Post Number: 7
not more than 200$ per sub if I decide to have 2.

If just one sub, then not more than 350$

any recommendations?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1237
An Adire Audio Brahma is $379 shipped, if you want to spend a tad more then a Resonant Engineering X.X.X. is $405 + shipping. Ported box for either, if you want SPL 2.5 cu ft tuned to 35 hz for the X.X.X., 3.0 cu ft tuned to 35 with the Brahma. For SQ, 2.0 cu ft tuned to 28-30 hz.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us