Preamp Output Voltage Question

Username: Gromitcat

Annapolis, Maryland USA

Post Number: 1
I just had a set of Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1's and a JL Audio 300/4 amplifier installed in my 1986 Porsche 911. Although the sound is very clear and quite loud and I really like it, I'd still like it to be even louder. My current HU is an older low-end Pioneer with only 2V amp outputs.

My installer said that if upgrade to a HU with higher voltage outputs, the system will go louder without increased distortion. Is this true? I'm looking at the JVC Arsenal KD3000, which has 5V outputs. What do you think of this HU? I notice that the Alpines all have only 4V. Is there much difference between four and five volts? Would you recommend a different HU with 5V outputs in the $250-$350 range?

Short of replacing my JL Audio amp for one with more watts, is there anything else I can do to have my music louder without adding distortion?

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 620
Basically with the high voltage you will be sending a better signal to your amps therefore getting a cleaner sound out of the amps. Went I went from 4-5 volts I did notice a difference in sound.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4430
no. it won't make the system louder.
it'll make it cleaner with better signal resolution but that's all.
if you want louder, increase power or driver cone area (more speakers)
try adding subs. that'll make a big difference even if it's a single 10" for low fill.
that usually solves the problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us