Username: Elsici

Post Number: 1
Hi!

I just bought a new audio equipment for my car:

- Head unit Pioneer DEH-P4600MP.
- 2 speakers 6" x 9" Pioneer TS-A6970S.
- 2 speakers 6" Pioneer TS-G1640R.
- 2 tweeters Pioneer TS-S250.

I was planning install the two 6" x 9" speakers rear, the two 6" speaker in front doors and the two tweeters over the dash board. The two rear speakers will go wired to the rear channels and the two front, to the front channels of head unit.

BUT, I just realize that the two tweeters are 8 ohms, and the two 6" speakers are 4 ohms!! The speakers installation sheet said that I should connect it in parallel with the other speaker, but the resulting impedance is 2.4 ohms. The head unit handle between 4-8 omhs of impedance. Could this impedance difference damage my head unit? I think that tweeters will not draw too much power. They have internal capacitors to limit the frequency to upper frequences only, but I don't sure about this.

Could anybody help me, please?

Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Mattl

Bolingbrook, Illinois USA

Post Number: 347
Yep, that's pretty messed up. Pioneer doesn't even make 8-ohm tweets for cars (anymore), so I'm not sure who I can suggest you turn to. Technically, you could add a 25W 1.33-ohm resistor after the parallel setup, but that can seriously affect performance of the system.

I would more likely guess they're intended to be thrown in with a specific 2-way crossover that has the load balanced (like the CDT "upstage" system).

-Matt

Username: Elsici

Post Number: 2
Hi Matt:

So, if I use a crossover I'll solve my problem? The problem with crossover is that the 6" speakers tweeters'll be wasted, because the crossover'll cut up the high frequencies.

I don't have many options, because I live in Cuba, and here you can't find almost anything about car audio. I bought the equipment at Panama's airport, and I was hurried and didn't note the tweeters impedance. But I saw a crossover in a shop near my work, and I could buy it, if it could solve my problem. What should I ask about it? There is any needed feature, etc? Forget about the brand, because I think it doesn't has anyone. Surely, it's a bad chinese or taiwanese stuff!! ;-)

But I just realize one thing and I don't understand it: If the tweeters were of 4 ohms, the resulting impedance with the 6" speakers'll be 2 ohms!! Worser yet!! What are these tweeters intended for? What is their "normal use"? Please, "culturize" me in car audio stuffs! :-D

Thanks a lot!

Silver Member
Username: Mattl

Bolingbrook, Illinois USA

Post Number: 354
Tweeters like these basically have two purposes:
1. Add-on to factory system using a 2-way xover. Provides a lot more separation and quality to a basic system.
2. Add-on to an existing 2-way component system as a supertweeter. You'd generally add another crossover on the "high" lead from the existing crossover to further control imaging.

Adding it to coaxials does effectively negate the tweeter on the existing set. BUT, it allows you to relocate the tweeter to a better staging/imaging spot.

-Matt
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us