10" Contralto

Username: Cmos

Post Number: 1
I was emailing a Crescendo tech about running their 10" 1800w rms Contralto sub on their 1500 rms s1 mono block. Here was his reply; Contralto has a medium suspension on the big motor, it allows the power handling and also makes it efficient to work very well at lower power. The s1 mono block can make them move to their full xmax. Im not up on the technicalities of subs. Does his response sound reasonable?

Username: Deaner76

Post Number: 1
Yes sounds like your amp and subwoofer setup was made for each other. Congratulations, that's something that doesn't happen without some research or buying as a package. Probably gonna sound awesome.

Username: Cmos

Post Number: 6
On the surface I agree. It sounds good, but this is my first sub woofer rodeo. All the literature I have read concerning sub/amp pairing points toward impedance and rms values matching; that it' s better to over-power a sub rather under-power one. There is also the fact that the tech works for for manufacturer.
I guess I am a sceptic...

Username: Deaner76

Post Number: 3
Lol, I feel you and totally understand where you are coming from too! And you are right it isn't a great idea to under power a sub but we're talking about UNDER powering a sub... The setup you have, being a reputable brand, it's very likely that if you're running the amp at the ohm load that's pumping out that 1500 watts RMS then you're not really underpowering them. You are likely getting pretty close to that stated RMS on the sub itself. I mean if you intend to upgrade in the near future then yeah get a 2.5k amp or something but I wouldn't be concerned about underpowering the thing as it is currently. I think you are likely using an amplifier that the manufacturer would probably even recommend for that sub. And his stating that it's adequate and in fact totally capable of excursion up to the xmax number in the measured specs would calm my worries.. honestly man..AND furthermore, I'd say you're there my friend. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it for sure! And believe me I can obsess over some s#!t that's far less than worrysome and it gets old dealing with that worry. I wouldn't say this to you if I felt any different. Relax and enjoy that thump my friend! Sounds like you got some decent equipment and you should be proud not worrysome... I know, I know, easier said than done but still! Enjoy it man, get that amp tuned up real good with an o'scope or a DD-1 so you know you're giving the speakers all the max clean power available and just enjoy that bad @$$ setup!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us