CDT SQ 12 KIA, Sundown SPL as new 1st Sgt?

Username: Wahlnut

Brentwood, CA USA

Post Number: 2
Longtime listener first time caller, I've secretly been spying on all of your threads and I have benefited tremendously from it so thank you. Now to the meat and taters.

I had some kind of spell over me some 6 years ago and had to have a CDT system aimed at SQ. Had never heard them much less seen them anywhere but still I plopped a tax return down on a budget system consisting of demo model speakers and a cut rate (IMO) 4 ch amp. I do very much enjoy the components (although they're just not loud enough) - prior USAF jet mechanic so yeah, gotta be loud. Anywho the real issue at hand today is that familiar electrical burning smell I got a whiff of last week while driving. I hadn't been pushing the sub hard or for an extended period. It just, well, gave up on my affair with Trap Nation I guess.

Now that we've had the funeral I'd like to memorialize it's SQ efforts by entering into a more SPL focused system. I'll have to make purchases in sections and the lack of boom is the most glaring of those... I have read a ton of posts here as well as various other forums and have become very interested in what Sundown Audio has to offer. Specifically a pair of SA X-12 V.2 D2 12's @ $499 ea on woofersetc. What immediately grabs my attention though is that the next one down in price is the SD-3 12 D2 12" @ $239 ea.

I guess I'm finally registered and posting because my experience is limited in general but especially in SPL applications. Selecting the best amp for the job is also a weak point for me.

My budget is ever changing but at the moment I can put around $500 into the sub itself (while planning a duplicate purchase later if need be). I am aware that at the moment having only 750 Watts RMS available limits the choices but imagine that didn't exist if giving suggestions.

I feel like I am rambling so I'mma leave it there and see what kind of input I can get. I appreciate you reading this and any advice that may come after. Also I am manic/depressive and experience some crazy shifts in motivation and even comprehension sometimes. I'm on a manic high (which explains the registration and post), and will try and keep up with this as best I can. Thank you again and feel free to ask anything I missed here that would be pertinent.

Username: Wahlnut

Brentwood, CA USA

Post Number: 3
Oh man I just reread this and I was definitely "excited". To clarify: I'm thinking (2) Sundown Audio SA-12 D2 REV.3 12" in DIY fiberglass enclosures (fire up and port back), in 2011 wrx hatch. I'm stuck wondering if it would be worth the extra $280+ for the X-12's. Would definitely require a new amp but if it's worth it then time to save. And no I'm not willing to go Nightshade kind of $$$. Thanks for any input folks.

Username: Joker_102

Rock springs, WY United States

Post Number: 1
Are you only considering sundown or would you be willing to check out some other options as?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us