Help! - 1st Car & First Sub setup

Username: Freddofocus

Post Number: 1
Hi, I'm new to the forum/sight, and need some help with what to get for my car (mk1 Ford Focus 5 door)

Total budget probably upto £1000.

Head unit? -

Subwoofer?

Replacing the door speakers + tweeters? -

Amp? -

Username: Lukasz6

Adelaide, South Australia Australia

Post Number: 4
Pioneer DEH-X4750BT is a good head unit, i've got one in my car. if you are running two 6" speakers in the back and 2 4" speakers in the front it's a good idea to run the 4" directly off the head unit and then run RCA's straight into the amp in the back. if you have a four channel amp then you use two channels for the rear 6" speakers
and then you bridge the next two channels and connect your sub, (+ from one channel and - from the other). if you want two subs then you connect both to the same two channels. if you have enough cash left over and want four 6" speakers running off the amp then get a six channel amp.
6" speakers in the rear is pretty standard but make sure exactly what you need before you buy. For a ford focus two 6" speakers and a sub with two 4" in the front will shake it immensely. if you have spaces for 6" in the front then running a pair of 6" speakers directly from head unit will be fine also just make sure you connect them to the correct front speaker wires of the headunit.

as for speakers on a budget of about $2000 australian, i'm not sure how expensive things are in your country but here you can get some really great speakers. if your car takes 4" in the front then i'd suggest alpine type s or something similar. as far as 6" for the rear (which you can use in the front also) if you want to add extra bass Kicker CS654 6" 2-Way Car Speakers are great bang for your buck, but if you have money to spend then have a look at JL Audio C2600X 6" 60W which are a bit more high end. now there is two ways you can go with subs you can buy a sub and the buy a box or make a box for it, or you can buy a sub in a box (https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-audio/jl-audio/jl-audio-cp112w0-4-12-300w-rms -sub-in-box/52303/)

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-audio/kicker/kicker-tcwrt124-800w-rms-12-slim- line-sub-and-box/400818/

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-audio/kicker/kicker-kickpack-amp-sub-box-combo /604026/

these are just some ideas, the cheaper one is still really great, you don't have to spend hundreads to get a decent sub have a look around for something. also a god one is the alpine bass line subwoofer which is very powerful.

for an amp you need to make sure it can produce atleast half of the rms watts of the subwoofer so it the sub it rated max 400 watts rms you need at least 200 watts if you have over the subs rms power it will blow so make aure you have a little less

you will need a 4 channel amp to run a sub (or two) and two speakers from the amp, the amp will make the speakers sound much better.

a cheap amp would be a pioneer 4 Channel 400W Bridgeable - GMD1004
or
Orion Cobalt CO600.4 Series 4 Channel Amplifier
an expensive one would be Pioneer 4 Channel 1600W Bridgeable Amplifier - GMD9604

an excellent one is this alpine one which i have in my car
http://www.alpine.com.au/showItem.php?item_id=323

so yeah i know its a lot of crap but i hope some of it is somewhat useful. don't worry about wiring, there will be diagrams in the manual for the head unit and the amp and probably all the speakers too
also buy a wiring kit, it makes things much easier because it has everything you need to make it work.

running your main power from the battery you will need to make a hole in a rubber grommet in the firewall to get the wire through and run it under the carpet of your car into the boot or wherever the amp is because the amp needs direct power from the battery, you will also need to run the RCA cable under the carpet into the boot to the amp make sure these two cables are not next to each other when you run them under carpet, if they are close they can sometimes cause interference, personally i run one down the left and the other down the right just to be safe. make sure you find a volt connected to te chassis in the boot to connect your ground wire, make sure its clean and free of paint. you can mount the amp onto the top of the sub box which saves some boot space and makes it more convenient for moving it or plugging things in if not you can find a different place to mount it. once installed all thats left to do is to change the volumes and gain on the amp and adjust the eq on the head unit and a good idea if your running 4" in the front is to turn down the volume of the front speakers because they might begin to distort when you turn it up loud
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us