Help w/ troubleshooting - 200A Fuse keeps blowing

Bronze Member
Username: Cod1989

MI USA

Post Number: 40
Hey guys, I recently got a system set up in my '97 grand marquis ls. There's a 15" Fi BL powered by a US Amps Merlin MD3D. My power wire is 0 gauge cadence wire. Last Tuesday I woke up and got in my car to go to work only to find my sub/amp not working and my ABS light on. When I got to work I popped my hood and found my 200A ANL fuse blown. So I took it out, turned all the settings on my amp down and put a 125A ANL fuse in because that's all I had at the moment. That fuse blew as well. So I went home disconnected my negative on the battery and ripped my car apart to look for a short in the power wire. I couldn't find any breaks in the wire at all. So I put my car back together put another fresh 200A fuse in and started her up. My amp turned on and wasn't in protect mode but my fuse blew anyway. Sub wasn't even playing yet either, my settings on the amp are at zero. My ABS light is gone now though.

Could anyone help me troubleshoot this problem please?

My amp hasn't even had the Bass Boost turned up over 25% yet either,the other settings were really low too. Figured i'd give the sub some break in time at low settings. My amp is rated at 2000w with 78% Efficiency when running @ 1 Ohm. That would be 1560w but 25% of that is only 390w. Not really sure if that's the correct power usage because playing my system at 40 of 60 volume would make my cup holders shake. But that's what the basic math tells me, sorry if i'm wrong.

Oh and I check my ground by my amp and it's bolted in nice and secure to clean metal. Won't even budge. Wtf is going on?

If you need anymore info i'd be glad to post up.

Bronze Member

MI USA

Post Number: 41
I just went for a spin and the damn ABS light is on again. WTF!?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina America

Post Number: 14827
If a 200A fuse is blowing, you have an electrical short somewhere to bare metal, or the amp has an internal dead short.

Bronze Member

MI USA

Post Number: 42
Thanks for the reply, I couldn't find a spot where my power wire was directly touching bear metal on the car. No rubbing or tearing in the silicone wrap that covers the 0 gauge power wire. Maybe it is at the amp. If the amp has an internal short would it be in protect mode? Because mine turns on like it normally would but any fuse on the power wire blows before i can actually tune it lol. But either way i'm taking it to a local shop tomorrow morning to get a remote start put in and i'm going to have them take a look at the wiring I guess because I have no idea what's wrong.

Bronze Member

MI USA

Post Number: 43
Eh, I had the remote start/alarm installed but didn't have them mess with the wiring because the quote was too high. I was messing around with my amp and tried hooking it up in my car again and even with the sub disconnected and the rcas unplugged from it the fuse still blows. I noticed that there is this weird mechanical noise that drones constantly for about 20 seconds before my fuse blows. I even hooked my amp up in my buddies blazer and it made that mechanical drone noise and blew his ANL fuse as well. Any idea what that could do with the fuse blowing in my car as well as his? His fuse was only a 50A on 8 gauge power wire and mine was rated for 200A and it's on 0/1 gauge. My uncle let me borrow a multi meter with a clamp meter and such, what benefit could I put this towards when troubleshooting this problem?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina America

Post Number: 14844
yeah that amp is shot. usually when an amp is shorted out, you blow the finals in the amp, which will result in a dead short. The amp needs to be repaired or replaced. I wouldn't advise hooking speakers to that amp until it's been fixed.

Bronze Member

MI USA

Post Number: 44
Thanks for the reply. I'm gonna try and find someone to repair it but if not I guess i'll grab an aq2200 or something.

Username: Johnvella

New York City, New York United States

Post Number: 5
yes i totally agree with "Glasswolf"
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts