Need help with new subwoofer Vibe Black air 12" active

Username: Madness88

Post Number: 1
Just bought vibe black air 12" active port subwoofer hooked it all up using wires from previous sub that was in the car as it was prob easiest option and the power and ground cable i had in the car were 4guage whereas the cable that came with the sub i recon was about 8 or 10 guage, turned on the stereo and its not very loud at all theres hardly any bass pushing through it the speakers in the car are louder, i just dont get why theres hardly any sound coming out of the sub? now i know in the manual it says to run it in for 30 hours on low to medium volume to start getting full potential but would this problem be because i have to run it in, or is there something wrong with the sub itself or any sort of wiring? the gain on the amp is about quarter ways turned up and the frequency i would say is just over quarter ways turned up on the controller. Heres a link to the sub http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_265872

Thanks in advance

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 887
What amp model, what HU (cd player), and how do you have the sub wired to the amp? It sounds like you probably have the sub wired wrong. Possibly pos and neg crossed and at the wrong ohm load.

And your link doesn't work. Could u try to re-paste it? I have never heard of that sub.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 888
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_37075_VIBE-Audio-BlackAir-B12-Active.html

This what u have?

Post Number: 2
hi cheers for the reply. I got a Sony BT HU and i'm not sure what the amp is as its an active sub. No that's not the one, heres a differen't link to it http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/products/vibe-blackair-v12.html?gclid=CPiRyoHuir QCFSTLtAod6zUAMw

Basically it did come with some wiring but i already had some in the car from the last sub so i just used that. Both power and ground cable are 4 Guage and the ARC cables are fairly old so i might try replace them with the ones that came with the sub and see if that does anything.

Post Number: 3
oh and im not to sure about the amp as its an active sub

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 889
that site doesn't say much about the sub.

how many hookups does the sub have? or do you hook it up from the outside?

An "old wire" should be just as good as a new one.

And what sub/amp did you used to have in there?

Post Number: 4
sorry, this site has more details, and pictures of what it looks like on the amp on the back of the sub... http://www.vibeaudio.co.uk/car/blackair-enclosures/
The old one i had in there was, well quite an old sub that was left in mates garage for coiuple years outside lol. But it was going louder than this new one i bought which i thought is strange, i played around with the gain and frequency on the remote and it seems to sound a bit better but still not quite as deep bass =/
what do you recon the gain and frequency should be set at in your opinion? freq starts off at 40-400hz and is currently set at about 11 o'clock and the gain at the moment is currently set to about the 11 o'clock position. There also seems to be settings on my HU for HPF and LPF and phase etc, would any of this solve the problem?

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 890
Ok, first of all, I don't want to break your heart, but you may not get much output from that.....thing.

1) Are you running high level or low level input to your active sub? I will assume low (rca)

2)where is your power/ground running to?

3)what kind of vehicle you drive?

I need to know what kind of music you listen to first, but I will just assume gangster rap music haha.
So, turn your remote frequency to 40. Turn the gain to about 3 oclock. Turn the HU's HPF to 40 or as close to 40 as you can get. LPF does not really matter, but lets just say....All the way up (i dunno, 12k hz?) Phase does not really matter. Most HUs have a subwoofer level control. If yours has one, turn it all the way up. If your HU has a bass boost or a "low" level control, put it at 0 or 2.

Post Number: 5
Yeah that's cool man lol it's just weird as the old one i took out which only had about 250rms was louder and more deeper but it did have more settings on the amp (LPF HPF Bass boost and xover switch) thats why i was a bit worried lol. I listen to allsorts of music, mostly electro/rave music drum n bass, reggae that sort of thing, i have noticed it is different with different sorts of music. Yeah your right its on the low level input, would it make much difference if i wired it up to the high level? power cable straight to the battery, and the ground cable is going to sanded down part of metal under the boot carpet. Its a Renault Clio 1.4 i'm driving (rubbish i know lol) It's a confusing thing really because on the remote it has the frequency but it don't say what freq it is weather its lpf or hpf. I was looking at one of these, Would this connect to my sub i'm not to sure as its active and obviously the amp is built into it
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/13686.html
Just a seperate EQ so i can have some more settings to play around with?
I'll try applying the settings you have just stated. Cheers for the help man

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 891
The remote frequenzy is a a HPF, but solely for your sub. Just remember this: HPF is for your lows and LPF is for your highs. This prevents vocals and too many other instrumentals being passed on to your sub and lets it play strictly deep bass. let me know if changing the settings on your HU helps. Also, could you list ALL the available settings you can tweek on your HU? would be helpful.

And you might want to try the remote HZ @ about 80-100 or so. Might sound louder. just tweek it til u like it.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 892
and low level input is the way to go.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 893
haha aint nothing wrong with that car. It looks a LOT like a volkswagen Golf I used to have. And a little bigger than my current Geo Metro

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 894
haha aint nothing wrong with that car. It looks a LOT like a volkswagen Golf I used to have. And a little bigger than my current Geo Metro

Post Number: 6
Right i basically tried them settings, the subs a bit louder and that but it still isn't producing low enough bass for some of my music, like it hits some notes and not others and the system just sounds jumbled up just don't sound very clean on some tunes =/ on the remote frequency setting nothing seems to come out of the sub if it is below about the 11 O'clock possition unless i turn the gain right up to the max and then it don't sound right which is weird, surely the sound frequency of the sub should go lower than that right? so i just left it on the lowest one it will go where i can actually hear the sub. Maybe the sub is faulty or something i dunno, i'm starting to give up with it and do something bad to it and pretend it's faulty and take it back to the shop and get something else lol. Deffenetly sounds better than what it was though

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 895
1. The tuning frequency of the box is unknown to me, and probably to the folks who built the thing as well, but if I knew what is was tuned at, it would help diagnose your problem. It is probably tuned pretty high to get a lot of loudness from it like a midbass driver with extra output simply cuz it's big. And it cant reproduce low notes, (25-40) because it is much lower than probable port tune. For every octave (8hz) under port tune, your output is lowered by varying amounts. A good estimate would be -6db per octave. FACT CHECK ME, GUYS!

2. Your sub sucks. I didn't want to be that guy, but it's gone too far. It sucks. Just take it back and say that it doesn't play right and they should give u your money. Take that money and buy a simple setup. I guess you're probably limited in product choice in Australia, but I am certain we could come up with something WAAAAY better and for real close to the price of that thing. If you can't take it back, shoot it with a shotgun multiple times and set it on fire. Roast marshmellows on the flame. Don't eat them, save them in an airtight jar in the refrigerator. When you get your new system and are finally enjoying the good sounds you are making, get the marshmellow. Warm it in the microwave for 13 seconds. Eat it. Enjoy the kangaroos hopping out in the outback and eat that chemical-smoke-infused marshmellow that is your victory over Black Air and the people that sold it to you!

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 896
you could also check your RCA cables by pulling each off the amp and switching sides with it. If one is fried either on your amp, your HU, or in the wire, it will sound something like what u talkin about. And let me get this straight: DO YOU HAVE ACCESS TO THE WIRES THAT RUN FROM THE AMP TO THE SUB?

Post Number: 7
Ah i think your right to be honest, it's rubbish i bought it thinking it would be better than my old one as the old one was stupidly old and the sub would even pop out the box every now and again.....how wrong i was lol. So annoying when you buy something thinking its an upgrade when its a bladdy downgrade if they dont take it back i think im going to try sell it on to some mug, atleast i'll get some money back. I'm going to get one last second opinion from a sound guy i know at a local shop and see if he can do anything to it and if not ill just get rid of it i think. No i cant get to the inside of the sub wiring, i dont think i'll attempt it just incase the shop takes it back. Many thanks for your help mate might be coming back for some recomendations of a decent sub lol.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 897
Glad to help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us