Looking for SQL sub

Username: Phoeniix

Post Number: 1
Hi, I just signed up to these forums and it's been awhile since I've had a sound system in my car so I'm out of touch on what to get. I'm starting from the ground up, but wanted to see which subwoofer you guys think is the right brand for me.

I have a 2010 Ford Fusion 4D SE, and I am looking for 1 SQL sub (if anything I am more leaning more towards SQ over SPL but want both). There is plently of room in the trunk but I didn't want it to take up too much space so I am thinking just one 12" or 15" in a sealed box (I listen to all kinds of music hip/hop, country, electronic, but alternative/rock is what I listen to the most). Is this the best set up for me (enclosure wise)? And if money isn't an issue whats the best sub to get and which sub is best bang for buck? (I was looking at the following brands: Fi, DC, & Audioque but there are a lot so tell me what you guys think). Thanks!

Just wanted to note I am going to upgrade the big 3, alternator, headunit, frontdoor speakers and then I still need to get an amp and capacitor. I figured rear speakers and extra battery wouldn't be needed for my set up, what do you guys think?

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1601
DC, & Audioque are aimed at getting loud, for SQL look for at SSA ICON or XCON, Fi SSD or Q, Ascendant audio Havoc, Mayhem.

If you have a trunk car don't go for a 15" if you can't get it mounted so that it fires frontwards or backwards.

Go for ported, pick a design that can achieve low group delay and low tuning to keep up with sealed sound quality but better low frequency extension.

Post Number: 2
Ok cool, 12" ported SSA, Fi, or Ascendant. What do you think about Digital Designs are they more SPL as well? Thanks for the info.

Post Number: 3
Oh and I forgot to add should I go for D1 or D2?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1604
For a 1 ohm stable amp a d2 for one sub d1s for 2 subs.. the idea is to match the amp impedance, yes DDs are high quality SPL oriented subs, they work in very big enclosures and are very expensive.

Beyond that the performance of the sub changes a lot depending on the box.

Gold Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 2043
Soundsplinter RL-s.

Post Number: 4
Thanks Joe, I think I get how it works now. Would it work out ok to buy a single SSA Xcon 12" D1 1750 RMS or Fi Q12 D1 1500 RMS and run it with a sundown 3500 amp at 2 ohms 1750Wx1CH? Incase I ever decide to upgrade to a second sub later down the road.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1606
Yes that will work, kind af an expensive way to keep your options open but it will do the trick.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1607
Mark how is that those SS's are not talked about that much?

Silver Member
Username: Shopvac

Post Number: 142
I think the ship has sailed at ss. I would love to get an RL-p 12 or 15.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us