Best starter subs out there

Username: Trisket0320

Post Number: 1
I am looking to get some subs and am willing to spend alot of money on a system. I work at best buy and get crazy discounts on subs, like i can get a $600 sub for $324. and i would like to buy from them to save as much money as i can. their brands are alpine, polk audio, kicker, pyle, lanzar, pioneer, RE audio, JBL, legacy, and like 20 more other brands. i am asking what brand and size would be the best for me if i listen to alot of rap, and occasionally reggae and things like that

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1580
No great subs on best buy, try the Fi SSD for about $200 1K RMS power to see what I am talking about.

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 623
JBL GTI
RE XXX, MX, SX

thats about it.

otherwise get the ssd.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina America

Post Number: 14719
Alpine Type R 12" is a great sub.
RE has some good subs, too, although I haven't stayed current with their models. I used to use a pair of XXX 12" RE subs myself.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1581
The SWR and the XXX (expensive) would be nice but are nowhere to be found on their website. Outside best buy there is the new 1k type R for $220 don't think it can match the SSD.

There may be a chance to get a decent HU there but given their prices I would check online first.

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 625
damn the new R is 1k?!

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina America

Post Number: 14724
No a type R is not a match for an SSD, nor can he get an SSD for about $50 with employee pricing through alpine. I used to be an Alpine dealer. Their employee accomodation was 50% off retail so you won't find anything to compete with a type R at that price, and these are starter subs anyway.. he doesn't really need to go balls out on these. The Type R is an outstanding all around sub if you have a good box built for them, and don't use some crappy chinese pre-fab box from best buy with neon lights and big, thin acrylic windows and ports tuned to 50Hz.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1585
He goes to say he's willing to spend a lot of money on his system so I think an entry level sub from a serious company is the right advice to give.. and as you say.. he better start thinking outside best buy when it comes to the enclosure.

There are better things to get at best buy like a High end Alpine/Pioneer multimedia deck for 50% of retail... that would make sense to me, actually that could amount savings to have the SSD for free.

Having said that the guy seems to have abandoned his own thread so I will save myself some further typing unless he decides to show up.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us