DD M4a and 2 9512s

Gold Member
Username: J_baby15

United States

Post Number: 2250
First off..... Too much power?
also, I need some suggestions on a box build for my trunk. Currently have 2.5cuft per sub; 85sq in port; tuned at 32hz; port and subs firing into the vehicle. Lows were BEAST, but I'm sure theres a better design out there.

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1370
Check out a 32 vs 38 tuning (red) at 5 cubes for the DD9512:

Upload

That's before cabin gain, so your F3 should be able to reach the low 30s easily with higher tuning being higher tuning more efficient, I think 36Hz is a good balance. Some people seal off trunk type of vehicles. If you have the space you can look at a 4th order bandpass.

On the amp just source good power clean signal and set your gains right.

Gold Member

United States

Post Number: 2251
Thanks. I had the 2 9512s, Dual 2ohm. wired at .5ohm on the M4a. Voltage didn't drop, amp never clipped. Gains were really low, but one sub ended up blowing. Box designs are not my strong point so I just went with DD recommended size/port and tuned lower.
It's a Cadillac DTS trunk, subs firing in through the center armrest, also removed the factory 10" sub from the rear deck. Trunk is completely deadened. I'll try and get you some dimensions on what I can fit and maybe you can help me with the actual design.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1374
Yes, also if you have a likn for the design from DD that would be great.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1375
The reference design you used or give the dimensions of the port and box.

Gold Member

United States

Post Number: 2252
I'll have to measure it out tomorrow. But it is at 2.5cuft per chamber, with a center port of around 14.5 x 5.5. Will the subs perform well in 1.75cuft per sub? I've got a shop, so I can build almost any design... but having the time to do it is the problem. I'll try and get some more info for you tomorrow or monday because I don't have the box on hand right now. Basically anything is a possibility on this set up.... The previous box was very loud on the lows, and I was happy with it... just looking to step it up to the next level. BTW, what program did you use to get the graph?

Heres my options for the next set up that will happen in about 2 weeks...
4 9512d4 wired to .5ohm on a DD M4a
2 9512d4 wired to 1ohm on a DD M4a

It seems the 4 12s and more power would be louder.. but I'll only be able to do 1.75cuft roughly per sub(minus displacement) and I'm not sure if thats enough.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 17261
i wouldn't advise squeezing more subs in because "more is better"

if u try to compromise on cuft & port area then the overall output may not be that much more or worth it

i suggest u keep those 2 subs & buy a few sheets of mdf to try out some different specs to hear what sounds best to u in ur ride ...

Gold Member

United States

Post Number: 2254
I'll have to measure it out tomorrow. But it is at 2.5cuft per chamber, with a center port of around 14.5 x 5.5. Will the subs perform well in 1.75cuft per sub? I've got a shop, so I can build almost any design... but having the time to do it is the problem. I'll try and get some more info for you tomorrow or monday because I don't have the box on hand right now. Basically anything is a possibility on this set up.... The previous box was very loud on the lows, and I was happy with it... just looking to step it up to the next level. BTW, what program did you use to get the graph?

Heres my options for the next set up that will happen in about 2 weeks...
4 9512d4 wired to .5ohm on a DD M4a
2 9512d4 wired to 1ohm on a DD M4a

It seems the 4 12s and more power would be louder.. but I'll only be able to do 1.75cuft roughly per sub(minus displacement) and I'm not sure if thats enough.

Bronze Member
Username: Mlstrass

Illinois

Post Number: 51
1.75 is too small for the DD's. Stick with 2 subs for the space you have to work with. 2.25-2.5 net per sub is what I normally do.

36-38Hz tuning works well for all around, tuning to 32Hz really makes them roll off fast up top and reduces overall output.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us