Choosing sub for my amp

Username: Orangenut

ChristchurchNew zealand

Post Number: 8
I have a kicker DX400.4 amp, im connecting some 5 1/4 comps on the front channel and on the rear channels im going to bridge them and connect a sub, bridged the amp is 200w rms, the 2 subs i have to choose from are both pioneer, either the TS-W259S4 at 250w rms or the TS-W259S4 at 350w rms.

now my question is as i only have 200w to power the sub by would it be better to buy the sub closer to the wattage i can give it? or should i get the better sub and underpower it? the reason im asking is im lead to believe it would be better to get the 250w rms sub because i can give it the needed power where as the 350w sub i would be underpowering it which is bad, also im able to get the 350w sub for a lot cheaper.

thanks for your help in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1323
Just make sure that the total impedance presented to the amp is 4 ohm. So either sub will do.

What would probably give bad results is connecting the sub directly to the head unit.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 17243
small budget ?

imo buy a sub closer to the wrms rating rather than under powering

look for a dual 2ohms which u can wire to 4ohms or single coil 4ohms ...

Bronze Member

ChristchurchNew zealand

Post Number: 15
yea i do have a small budget, im leading towards the 350w rms one just because i can get it like half the price of the other one. stupid small countries with little selection haha

Gold Member

Post Number: 1332
If you can get the 350W for cheap, it's a no brainer.

I would look further into it but you list the same model two times.

Bronze Member

ChristchurchNew zealand

Post Number: 16
oh oops i did to, the two models were TS-W259S4 and the TS-W254R
both pioneer

Gold Member

Post Number: 1337
So I checked both, the 350w is slightly more expensive here, I say go for it, will fit your amp well.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17245
lol u think ur country is small u shud google mine : trinidad

we are probably the size of a city in yours but for a tiny country we have alot of bassheads & we have a dealer for probably every single brand u can think of

pioneer is like about the cheapest good sub here besides audiopipe & pioneer sells ALOT here

acording to pioneer's website the 254 is 250wrms recommended & is us$85 compared to the 259 350wrms rating & us$119 price

imho i wud go with the 254 since its closer to the 200wrms ur amp does ...

Bronze Member

ChristchurchNew zealand

Post Number: 17
never heard of that place so your probably right lol, im from new zealand i guess its not the smallest but the selection isnt the best,

and i can get the 254 for $120 and the 259 for $90 so the 350w is a bit cheaper, im really not sure which one to get now, i may just get the 350w one coz of my budget

Gold Member

Post Number: 1341
For either sub I would suggest building the larger 1.5 cubic feet enclosure they suggest (ported), that way you will take the most advantage of the amplifier power.

Bronze Member

ChristchurchNew zealand

Post Number: 18
ok cheers for your advice joe youve been really helpful

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17251
yes i agree with that ...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums