Subwoofer not working

Username: Mayormaynot

Post Number: 1
I just installed a noise supressor to cut down on engine noise, and now I notice that my subwoofer doesn't hit as hard.........can you tell me what I did wrong????

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1129
Is a RCA signal noise supressor or a power line noise supressor and how you connected?

Post Number: 2
Hi Joe, Thanks for taking the time to help me with my problem! The suppressor I am using is a Scosche In-Line Power Lead Noise Suppressor. I have the RCA cables (of the suppressor) connected directly to my head unit,and the RCA cables coming from my amp are ran along the passenger side to the front of my truck and plugged into the other end of the suppressor. I have a Ford F150 so my amp and subwoofer are under the back seat.
}

Gold Member

Post Number: 1134
Ok so if the supressor has RCAs then is not a power lead type but something like this:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_34320_Scosche-ES034.html

So one other question, this device took away the noise besides having your sub hitting less??

Post Number: 3
That is the exact suppressor I have installed. What is the difference between that and a "power lead" type you are refering to??

And yes, it took away the engine noise (humming between tracks, thumping when turning the system on/off, and the high pitched sound of the engine when I excelerated) but now my subwoofer doesn't even sound like it's on.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1137
To avoid the effects of installing these type of devices one must deal with noise issues at thier cause.

Here is a an example of the power lead type:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_38579_P.I.E.-NF-20.html

It's installed at the power leads of your head unit leaving the signal path intact.

I don't know how much effort you are willing to put into this and how familiar you are with electrical systems.

Post Number: 4
don't really feel comfortable messing with the electrical system.

Would it just be best if I just took out the suppressor and tried to find another way to fix my engine noise problem......at least I would be able to hear the bass in my subwoofer.

Are there any other suggestions you have for me to try once I take out the suppressor??

Gold Member

Post Number: 1139
If you have an older Pioneer HU there is a particular solution for those, if not you can try any of the following:

1) exchange your RCAs for high quality ones AND route them in different ways to the amp.
2) connect the chassis of the HU to the chassis of the car to a location that is as nearby as possible to the HU. This must be a tight solid connection.
3) install a power lead supressor like the one above to the HU.
4) check that all of your amp connections are tight and clean specially the ground to chassis one, but also the connection to the battery and the inline fuse of that connection.

Now to mitigate the problem you can lower the gain of your amp as possible and use the volume on the HU higher, that reduces the amount of noise being amplified.

Most issues will resolve or improve with these measures, if nothing of that helps then additional steps can be taken.

Post Number: 5
Ok I'll try some of the steps you listed, if nothing changes.....I'll be back to ask for something else to try!!

Thanks again for all your great advice, you've been a big help in my time of need and unknowing!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us