Punch 500 on 2 solobaric 15 L7

Silver Member
Username: Mash4kash

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 333
Can 250w rms to a sub that takes 1000w rms blow?

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 752
No, however the 500.2 can't take loads below 2 ohm or 4 ohm bridged into mono. If your subs are dual 4 ohm then you can parallel the coils and use in non bridged mode.

Silver Member

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 334
I had 2 dvc 2 ohm one on each channel 500 watts @ 2 ohms. Something wasn't right one day, I opened the trunk and only 1 would play I tried the speaker wires from the playing sub to the other no luck. And the speaker wires from the non playing sub to the playing sub and it worked that tells me the channels are fine but why only 1 sub play?

Silver Member

Post Number: 753
That's odd since you can't get 500W from a dual 2 ohm on non bridged mode for that amp, you can wire:

Parallel to 1 ohm = amp not stable.
Series to 4 ohm = 250W.

You have to check that sub, both coils and the connections between them, either coil can take 500W RMS so it's hard to believe it's blown.

Silver Member

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 335
2 dual 2 ohm wired in series is at a 2 ohm load so it got 250w each sub. Some research online says under powering a sub with a small amp and the gain, bass boost on high is distortion or clipping and frys the sub??

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3581
it absolutely can blow. as you read, it's not so much about power as it is about clipping and distortion. that's the killer. by pushing a small amp to it's limits and further it will start pushing bad power. from there it's a matter of time before you start smoking the coil.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3230
so you're running that amp @ 2 ohm bridged? better kiss it goodbye...matter of time before it blows.

I'd sell that amp and use that money towards a bigger, more efficient amp.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3231
so you're running that amp @ 2 ohm bridged? better kiss it goodbye...matter of time before it blows.

I'd sell that amp and use that money towards a bigger, more efficient amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 754
"500 watts @ 2 ohms" is not the same as 2 x 250W@4 ohms.

And YES if clipping occurs *anywhere* in the signal path you risk overheating the coil(s) of a sub and will eventually open regardless of the amplifier power.

But that's very different to say that you can't use a low power amplifier on a high power speaker. You cannot blow a speaker out of low power.

Silver Member

Post Number: 755
For those interested on coil overheating as it relates to clipping and other factors, you may like this:

http://www.audiogroupforum.com/csforum/showpost.php?p=45111&postcount=6

Silver Member

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 336
Smoking the coil? So if it's a dvc both coils can be fried you're saying?? And no it wasn't in 2 ohm bridged it was 2x250 @ 2 ohm. 2 channel amp each sub on 1 channel.

Silver Member

Post Number: 757
Dual 2 ohm coils wired in series is 4 ohm!! look it up.

Just test the coils individually with the amp to see what went down. Most likely you will get sound from one of the coils.

Silver Member

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 338
Right but when you put 2 4 ohms together they drop down to 2 ohms, correct me if I'm wrong

Silver Member

Post Number: 758
If you had a monoblock or you were bridging the 2 channel and you connected in parallel both subwoofers with the coils in series then yes total impedance would be 2 ohm.

But you say you are running 1 sub per channel non-bridged so it's 4 ohm per channel. It's the RF Punch 500.2 right??

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 759
Just take what joe says as fact. NQA

Silver Member

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 339
Yes you're right joe, thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums