JL Audio w3v3 12 inch opinions

Bronze Member
Username: E3_overkill

Post Number: 23
Well i was wondering what are youra guys opinions on JL w3v3 12 inch ? And are they good for SPL ? I never really paid any attention to the w3's, but my friends really looking into them. So i was wondering what do you guys think about them?

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 186
Its an SPL sub with SQ qualities 500W RMS 1000 PEAK and the $170 or so price is reasonable. I would recommend it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Thanks cause my friend really wants to get two 12's , but he looking at the same thing as me type R's? so which do you think are the better sub. i said he should go with JL if he can but he a big fan of alpine. so whats your input?

Silver Member

Post Number: 189
The best answer would be listen to both, they are both good subs but I would easily take the JLs. JLs can get really low and loud. Looking at the specs Alpines have 2 db less sensitivity, so many more watts to get the same SPL. The only thing with the JLs is that they recommend1.75 cuft ported enclosure size, Alpine says 1-2 cubic feet so you should find out how tight the enclosure of the Alpines can really go without loosing bottom end.

Gold Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1295
The JL Audio 12W3v3 is a very solid Subwoofer. In the right enclosure, it would make for a great SQL setup.

Putting the JL Audio 12W3v3-4 up against the Alpine Type R's SWR-1243D is a very hard choice. On paper, the JL Audio 12W3v3-4 uses less space, needs less Watts RMS and has 87 db Sensitivity rating. The Alpine Type R's SWR-1243D needs more space, more Watts RMS, and has a Sensitivity rating of 85 db rating.

Overall, they are both fairly even Subwoofers. The difference on which Subwoofer is better is going to depend on the build quality and specs of the enclosure you build for them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Yeah thats what i figure as well. So do you think its easier to get the right enclosure for the jl or type r. Cause he'll probably just end up buying a prefab box. So what sub is easier to match the correct enclosure with a prefab box ? And thank you guys for all the info and ideas.

Silver Member

Post Number: 191
I think the Alpines will sound really bad in a one cubic feet each I don't expect that you will get a big box size advantage going with the Alpines but look it up, If you can find a prefab enclosure specifically made for the JLs (1.75 cuft @ 30Hz each chamber) and it fits I would easily go with that, those JLs will go lower and louder.

Above all don't get any prefab, a misaligned port frequency for example can damage the subs and make them sound like junk. My guess is that it will be easy to find the right JL boxes as they give exact specification for their subs.

Gold Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1301
The most popular enclosure right now for the Alpine Type-R's is a Ported 1.4 Cu Ft Enclosure tuned around 32-34 Hz (IMO).

For JL Audio 12W3v3-4 has a very specific specs for their enclosures. 1.25 Cu Ft Sealed, and 1.75 Cu Ft Ported. Tuning frequency will depend on how you want the Subwoofer to perform.

Also keep in mind that these number are for the Internal Volume of the enclosure itself, not the outside demensions. As Joe Durkham said, avoid purchasing prefab enclosures. They are cheap and poorly made. You can put together you own enclosure for under $40 at Home Depot given the assumption that you have the tools already to build one.

Silver Member

Post Number: 193
What I mean about prefabs is that they usually go tighter to control costs and they guess port frequencies, so you have to know your specs first and buy accordingly.

Sure there will be low quality prefab and better quality also.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Yeah alright guys i really appreciate all the help. And yeah from your guys imput i will probably go have a custom one build for the specs of the type r. And probably have it done at a car audio place. But thank giys for all the help and infomation. I'll try to get some pictures up of the final install.

Bronze Member
Username: Dcollister440

Post Number: 33
hey man, I would steer clear of audio shops, they are extremely overpriced when it comes to boxes, I had one guy tell me that a 3 cubes@32hz was going to cost $300...i told him to eff himself, theres a guy in florida who was going to do 3.5 cubes @32hz for $125 shipped....I can give you the email if you want

Silver Member
Username: Jaackdeth

United States

Post Number: 837
Do you have his email please? Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Yeah for sure that get the E-mail. Please and thank you. I live in southweat florida. So that would be really good.

Silver Member
Username: Dloco486

Post Number: 187
dustin aka bassman3 makes bad a$s boxes and has real good prices plus he stands behind his craftsmanship 100% and gives u a lifetime warranty if u click on subwoofers u can scroll down find the thread that says Box build -- DL Designz u can see a few boxes he's built they're nice.

Bronze Member
Username: Dcollister440

Post Number: 36
brightstarcaraudio@hotmail.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us