Questions about a square kicker

Bronze Member
Username: Dloco486

Post Number: 75
i just got a square kicker in a trade. On the magnet it says SL7 but it dont say on the front so im not sure if its an L7 or not. and it doesnt say rated power on it so i was wandering how much power i should run to it and if i should run it sealed or ported?

Bronze Member
Username: Caraudio4life

Clovis, CA USA

Post Number: 25
give it 1000wrms and put in a 3.5 ish cu ft ported box tuned to 33 hz or so. if on the magnet it says sl7 its an l7 model, im pretty sure.

Gold Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1059
Anyone can swap out parts if they know what they are doing or slap on a sticker. Can you post up any pictures D Loco?

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 634
What size is the sub? Describe how the magnet looks and how the cone looks. And what does the cone say? Should either say L5 or L7

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 635
Do not listen to anything eddie said until u give us some more info on it

Bronze Member

Clovis, CA USA

Post Number: 26
yeah dont listen to me, i dont know anything, thats what i would do if it was me, i would blow that sheezy up lol or get big bass!!!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
how do i post pics on here and ill get a couple up. right now i have it bridged on an amp @ 8 ohms because if i bridge it @ 2 ohms i think it will kill the amp. dont know how much power its getting but my amp barely moves it. the amp is rated @300x2 @ 4ohms 500x2 @2 ohms.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1061
Im not sure what version of the L7 you may have, but those Subwoofers can handle 750-1000 Watts RMS depending on the model. If your actually running the amplifier at 8Ohms, I can't even manage what little amount of Watts RMS your sending so im not surprised that it is hardly moving.

Also, in order to post pictures, you will need to upload your pictures on photobucket. Then, you will click on the "Link" option above and paste the URL of your picture and click "OK".

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24861
Or just re size them down to 600x600, 100k max. Easy enough in paint or other tools available.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
http://s1231.photobucket.com/upload/albums/dloco486/ here it is

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
http://s1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee516/dloco486/ sorry the other 1 was wrong this one is it i think

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24863
For one thing this baby looks very used and dirty.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Upload

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1062
That's a Kicker Subwoofer alright. A Kicker S12L74 to be exact. It's a DVC 4Ohm Subwoofer that is rated for 750 Watt RMS.

What ever amplifier your using is no where closing to powering it all the way.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
yea i traded my power acoustic 6x9 for it cuz they wouldnt fit in my talon. would i get more power to it if i ran it off 1 channel @ 2 ohms cuz i cant bridge it at 2 or can i wire each coil indipendently to each channel. is it an l7

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
thanks joe s can i wire each voice coil seperately to each channel or do they have to be wired together

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1063
What amplifier are you using D Loco?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-SILVER-LEGACY-LA2970SL-2-CH-2000WATT-CAR-AUDI O-AMP-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5644c03f0aQQitemZ370520637194QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ 5fVideo that is the amp i have i bought it a year ago on ebay they still have it on ebay

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
the amp is a LEGACY LA2970SL

Bronze Member

Clovis, CA USA

Post Number: 30
i heard you shouldnt put individual coils into separate channels only individual coils into separate amps, but dont quote me on it.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1064
That amplifiers specs goes as followed:

2 x 300 Watts RMS at 4 Ohms
2 x 500 Watts MAX at 2 Ohms
2000 Watts Bridged Power at 4 Ohms

I honesty have never seen such BS specs for an amplifier ever in my life. Even the service manual says the same specs. There is no way possible this amplifier puts out this much Watts...

Since you have the DVC 4 Ohm version, I would suggest wiring each VC on it's own channel to keep it at a 4 Ohm Load. It's the best way to get the most of what ever power is coming off that amplifier. However, I woudl suggest looking into a more power amplifier if you intend to use this subwoofer.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 9779
That sub is ooooold.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
i plan on buying a better amp when i sell my 15's. hooking up each coil that way wont damage the sub will it?

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1067
Each VC can handle 375 Watts RMS. That amplifier "supposidly" puts out 300 Watts RMS per channel at 4 Ohms. If anything, the Amplifier will get damaged before the Subwoofer.

Bronze Member

Clovis, CA USA

Post Number: 31
what happens if a song has bass in the left channel not at the same time as the right channel like surround songs if that makes sense it wont affect the voice coils

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 9785
Lol @ that Legacy amp.

Also, if you have a mono amplifier it's not going to matter.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1068
The overall issue eddie is that is not the right type of amplifier you need to power that Subwoofer. I was just letting you know the best way you could use it at this time.

I would suggest looking into this amplifier here if you plan on using it:
http://www.audioque.com/AQ1200D-Amplifier_p_30.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
same question eddie asked. it wont effect them if there is bass coming from 1 channel and not the other. on songs like that

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
i dont want to damage it before i get the amp for it

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1069
Then don't use it. Wait until you have the right equipment.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1070
Then don't use it. Wait until you have the right equipment.

Bronze Member

Clovis, CA USA

Post Number: 33
fa sho fa sho joe s is the man lol

Silver Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 177
That Legacy amp has two 15 amp fuses in the pictures. Being a low budget class AB amp I would not expect anything above 60% efficiency.

That being the case, I would say this amp probably starts clipping around ~200 watts RMS in 4-ohm bridged mode. Which means at 8-ohms you are probably gonna get no more than 100 watts RMS on a good day.

I will vouch for the AQ1200D, although I am not a fan of their recent price changes. They bumped the AQ1200D up to $269. For $30 more you can get one of crescendos new Bass Clef Series amps, the BC2000 which benches somewhere around 1100-1200 watts @ 2-ohms. Might be a bit overkill but for $30 I would probably pay for the headroom.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
my legacy amp has 2 20 amp fuses which i found the ratings hard to belive cuz my 200 watt fausgate has a 30 amp fuse lol. i just posted my 15's on craigslist so hopefully i get a buyer. but i need a good capable amp for less than 200$

Bronze Member

Clovis, CA USA

Post Number: 34
maybe these
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6498_Hifonics-XX-ZEUS-R-B.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12248_JBL-GTO7001.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22707_Hifonics-HFi1500D.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22702_Hifonics-HFi2000D.html

i would try and get one of these probably hfi2000d or jbl but think it would underpower slightly

my odd rule of thumb is whatever fuses add up to add a zero this gives you watts rms amp will do before popping fuses so take 75 percent of that should give you what ull most likely get outta daily driven

hope this helps

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 2059
amps*volts=watts*%eff (.8 classD or .6 for A/B)= expected wattage.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 9788
I was actually going to recommend looking for a Hifonics amp. From what I know the lower models are OVER RATED but it's hard to find a cheaper out that does what it can. I would look around for a used one from a good, reputable seller.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
i actually borrowed a sub from my cousin so i was able to bridge them both for a 4 ohm load and it sounds a lot better for now till i can get the right amp. but i was wandering if ild be able to bridge that legacy and my fausgate rf 200.2 together to get a lil more boost? if i can how would i wire them 2gether?

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

Crescendo Audio FTMFW!!!, AA Havoc 15 ... Your Mom FTW!!!

Post Number: 3449
Someone else want to handle this?

Some reading material

http://www.bcae1.com/

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1074
D Loco, what are you doing? lol.

What is this "other Subwoofer" that you have hooked up to your Kicker? And what amplifier are you currently using?

The Rockford Fosgate Punch 200.2 amplifier specs goes as followed:

100 Watts RMS @ 4 Ohms
200 Watts RMS @ 2 Ohms
400 Watts RMS Bridged @ 4 Ohms

If anything, I would just suggest installing this amplifier at 2 Ohms on the Kicker and take off the Legacy amplifier if you REALLY wanted to use it. Once again, I would preffer it if you would wait until you could power the Kicker Subwoofer properly to prevent anything from breaking.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
when i looked up the specs for my fausgate amp it said 50 watts x2 @ 4 ohms 100x2 @ 2 ohms and 200 x 1 @ 4 ohms. the other sub is a really oldschool sony explode. way before walmart started selling them. its a dual 4 ohm as well. it's 1 with the metal deal sticking up from the center.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1075
I looked up the user manual and that is what I found for the specs. are you sure it's really a Punch 200.2?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
its an oldschool. it has that RF they used to use back in the day.and undery it all the way across it says punch. on the bottom it has the model # (Rockford Fosgate RF2002)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
would a kenwood 9104d push that kicker?

Silver Member

Post Number: 183
Yea it should do the job just fine

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 636
I can't believe my eyes!! DO NOT run multiple channels to 1 sub. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Good way to blow that sub and prolly take the amp with it. It will also b more distorted and less output cuz the channels will cancel eachother out. Even if both channels receive the same signal, they r never pushing the xact same watts or signal. Wire it parallel to a 2 ohm load and run it from 1 channnel of whatever amp u r using now. U ain't pushin nowhere neer max for the sub, but ffr, I would suggest not giving it more than 500 wrms if u plan to enjoy it for any length of time. Or blow its pisss out and buy better ones. I believe that is what others here r trying to get u to do by running two ch. To 1 sub

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
i wasnt planning on running 2 channels thats y i borrowed that other sub from my cousin so i could bridge @ 4 ohms. but tomorrow im trading my old subs for the kenwood amp and im goin to give that other sub back to my cousin and just run the l7 for now.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 640
What the specs on that kenwood? My only web source is my phone and I ain't doin all that

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
1800 watt peak 900 rated @ 2ohm 500 @ 4ohm

Bronze Member

Clovis, CA USA

Post Number: 42
good amp, just adjust gain properly, will beat the crap outta sub, go ported around 33hz

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
it was a good amp for about 45 mins then it crapped out haha

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 642
Hahahahahahaha epic

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
needless 2 say kenwood amps are sh!!!t. plus theres no way that amp did 900 watts constant. 600 maybe.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3473
Maybe it was user fault?

Just sayin considering some of your other posts.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3474
Wasnt trying to sound like an azzhole.

Look first off,never mix subs,never run one sub off 2 different amps. If you are set on running that old beat up Keeker then get a proper enclosure for it and get a decent amp that does 500-1000wrms at 2ohms. Set the gain correctly and thats it. Dont touch the bass boost or anything like that cuz then we will have another "blew my l7 thread" and no one wants that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
naw it had good connections gain was up a lil over half way sub was at 2 ohm bass nobb on amp was only at a 1/4 way up it was sounding nice then all of a sudden there was no bass. and the amp wouldnt turn on. fuse under my hood is still clean and good. and my other amps were still working when i hooked them up. so it shoulda been good. plus i dont see an amp with 2 30 amp fuses rating at 900 watts constant

Gold Member

Post Number: 3475
Well Kenwoods are known to be overrated and not that great in the first place so it could have just been the amp. But the gain should be set to match your head units output,not just set to what sounds good. If I were you I would just find a nice used amp or just buy a new one. What is your budget for an amp?

Silver Member

Post Number: 191
Setting gain: http://www.thesuicidaleggroll.com/gain.htm

All you need is a DMM and you will never blow another amp. Unless its grossly over-rated in the first place... in which case you shouldn't have bought it.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1079
Looks like I got here too late. I have a friend with the same Kenwood amplifier. I was going to say that I could get it bench tested to see the real numbers, but now seeing that it is blown, what's the point?

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
It wasnt blown i hooked up 3 other amps an didnt get power the little washer actually fell out of the fuse holder so the copper pieces that hold the fuse werent staying together tight.the amp is still good thankfull for that i was starting to feel ripped off. the guy i traded was a good dude and was going to give me back my subs if we couldnt get the amp to work.@ joe s if u can still get it bench tested and see what it actually runs at that would be cool ild like to know.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1083
Every amplifier even if it's the same may put out slightly differen't numbers, however I will try and see if my friend is available this weekend to get it bench tested.

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
that would be cool. ild appreciate it.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1084
Actually, I just noticed something. There are 3 amplifiers by Kenwood that generates the same specs. These 3 amplifiers goes as followed:

KAC-9103D
KAC-9104D
KAC-9105D

My friend has the KAC-9103D. Is that the same one you have or is it one of the other two?

Silver Member

Post Number: 197
The last number in the series is pretty much a version number from what I can see. So ASSUMING Kenwood makes improvements when releasing a new version... the 9104D should make equal to or greater power than the 9103D. Lol... thats how I look at it anyway.

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
it's the 9104d. ive heard they shrunk the newest model and that its not as good as the older ones. but thats only hearsay from one person. does it cost $ to get an amp bench tested or will audio shops do it for free if they think ure goin to buy summin from them. also does anybody know of a decent pair of shallow mount 6x9 i could find on ebay or amazon for $40 or less?

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
is there anything u can put on subs to condition them? if i run this sub sealed how big of a box should i use? currently running ported but listen to a variety of music and there's some it dont sound real good.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 658
armorall wipes make it look nice. not sure if it helps it.

sealed= anywhere from 1.5 to 4.5 cubes would work for that sub. It just depends on what sound ur looking for and how many WRMS you are sending it. I says go 3 cubes with polly fill stapled inside.

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
is polly fill that pillow stuffing? i'm running round 5 to 600 WRMS. amp says 900 WRMS but is kenwood and over rated. 3 cubes insulated was what i was thinkin just needed someone to confirm it thanx.

Silver Member

Post Number: 186
i'm trying to sell that L7 and that kac 9104d on craigslist how much should i ask for it. subs i know sub looks beat up but performs nice. Amp looks brand new.do yall think i could get 200$ for it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us