Better upgrade?

Bronze Member
Username: Flossin

Post Number: 13
I have two alpine type r's in a custom 4.5 cu ft box tuned to 30 hz. It sounds amazing, but I'm craving louder music already (i'm going to be deaf by 25). It's hooked up to an AQ 1200d

What would be a better pair of subs that literally blow this setup out of the water that would be good for my box? I was thinking audioque hdc312. Price is really not an option at this point.

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

TX

Post Number: 2274
getting louder... you could build a different box and tune it higher, say 35-38Hz. you will lose more low end but the output will be increased.

If you are serious about getting louder then more power and/or more cone area is needed. You said you wanted to keep the box, so therefore the more cone area is out of the question. what i mean by more cone area is moving to bigger sized subwoofers, 15, 18, or more 12's.

As far as getting more power from a bigger amp will cause you to need a High Output Alternator, Bigger/More Batteries, and Wiring upgrades. all of these necessities will cost $1000 or MORE!

So a few questions for you:
1. what is your budget for getting "louder"?
2. what vehicle do you drive?
3. do you want louder while sacrificing sq? or would you want to keep the sq and just get louder, if possible?

Gold Member

TX

Post Number: 2275
also, Price and Time are ALWAYS a restraint!!!! saying that price is not an option is just silly. i could name off $1000 subwoofers that would kill those 2 type-rs in every way. however, you will need thousands of dollars more to properly power them.

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1272
^Totally agree.

Bronze Member
Username: John253a

Post Number: 46
JL Audio 12W6v2-D4
Kicker cvx124
If spl is all you aftet then cvx but if sq is high on the list then jl

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1273
I would go bigger if it where me... In order to get "louder" in that box you would need to tune higher anyway. So why not go with a couple 15''s?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
I agree with jb

If price isnt an problem why not make another box upto 4.5 cuft and find a sub or 2 to handle a total load of 1ohm at 1200wrms

Alot of 12" are 1-1.75cuft each and 5-600wrms or 1-1250wrms

On that basses
Total budget?
Are you willing to get another box?
Total cuft your willing to give up?
Amp? Keep or go?
Number of subs and size you want?
What you after sq, spl or a mix sql?

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 279
Sundown audio SA-12s will play much louder and lower than Type R"s not only that but those work tuned at 30Hz so you only need to exchange them and you are done.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11926
Four (4) RE SRX 10 inchers.

Yes 4 10" subs... cone area is going to win here.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I'm definitely not changing the box. I WILL change the amp (since it blew). So they would have to be 12 inchs. Not trying to spend a shitload (1000 dollar subs are just ridiculous in general).

I want more SPL with better SQ. JL is really that kind of sub but I'm trying to stay away from the JL brand type of sub. If it comes down to it I'll settle with JL, but I'm asking you guys to tell me that there is something that outperforms them.

It's tuned to 30 hz because I love low notes.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
If your getting a new amp and spl with no mods to box is what your after
Pioneer Premier TS-W5102SPL
RE Audio XXX12
Orion HCCA124

Silver Member

Post Number: 288
Ok Gabriel take a look at this list of SQ stuff:

Fi car audio
Image Dynamics
TC Sounds

Each of these will have offerings that will outperform JL Audio and Alpines both in power and sound quality, no need to pay $1000 for many of their subs but it will go above $200 easy.

Seek sensitivity of 88-90dB SPL and maybe upgrade to 2200D you will be hearing impaired in no time.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
So mr. durkham, the initial plan was to get two JL Audio 12w7 with two slash v2's,

those brands you listed, would outperform them in SQ AND SPL, while being a somewhat cheaper alternative?

Silver Member

Post Number: 297
Forgetting the amps for now YES among those brands names you will find better sound quality than W7s and also SPL:

For SQ from Jl audio look for W6s.

For Fi and Image Dynamics look for Q series.

For TC Sounds look for LMS series.

Yes you can find better drivers than the W7s at somewhat lower prices or around but certainly not on the thousands.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Ok joe so out of those three you showed me, which would be the BEST?

they obviously would blow alpine type r's out of the water, but if you had to choose which one would it be.

Silver Member

Post Number: 303
Id probably go for TCs or FIs but from those and there are many others to consider, Most important is to look at prices, proper enclosure and solid amplification.

Gold Member

TX

Post Number: 2276
since you want to kkeep the box (dual 12" box) and you want to be louder and better SQ you NEED to upgrade your alternator to have a higher powered amplifier. changing out subs and using 1200rms will not yield a HUGE difference in SPL. Those Type-r drivers are SQL oriented and are actually really good budget speakers. I just do not see how getting 2 FI Audio Q's will yield more spl, they will get better SQ for sure, however, without upping the power, you just wont notice much of a difference in SPL.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us