What sub and box to get?

Username: Nesto1000

Post Number: 1
So I don't know much about subs, but I want to get some for my truck. I want to get two 12's but I don't know what brands, wattage, amps etc to get.
I want to get a box that's something like in this picture but again I don't know any good brands, so I'd appreciate it if you guys could help me out...

Oh and I have an 03' Dodge Ram 1500

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 407
Is it a standard or extended cab?

It will depend on your budget, electrical, and music preferences.

Do you want shallow-mount subs? (Rockford Fosgate, Diamond Audio, Stereo Integrity, Kicker, Cerwin Vega). There's many.

Do you want a sealed or ported box?

A good starting power would be 1000 watts.

Post Number: 2
It's a standard cab, my budget isn't that big but I'm willing to work with it. I want maybe some mid-range subs. An I'm not sure which I would like... I think that I'd like a ported box because I've never really heard a sealed box before. And yes, I think shallow-mount subs is what I need because the clearance on where the subs sit at isn't big.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5937
It's going to be tough to fit 2 12" sd2.5's ported underneath the seat of a dodge ram...Best bet would probably go sealed imo

Post Number: 3
Well which sounds better? Ported or sealed? I can't really tell from the youtube videos...

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24893
Better? Depends on what you like. Ported is for a more efficient bass response. More output. Sealed is geared more towards a SQ setup.

Are you looking for more output or a sharper response?

And you won't get an accurate experience listening to a vid on Youtube.

Post Number: 4
Well I want ported. A friend has his boxes ported and I feel in love with them. Also I was thinking about making my own custom boxes for the subs. Just putting some MDF board over the top and making some holes for the subs.

A friend of mine just gave me a sub because I was asking him for advise as well and I don't know if I should put it in and buy a second? It's a Rockford Fosgate Punch P1 P1S815
They can fit if I make my own box, so should I keep it and buy a second??

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5938
No to p1's imo. and making a custom enclosure has alot more to it then just putting some boards together and some holes for ports and such. It has to be designed to the specific speaker(s). Your needing around a 4 cubic foot (after displacement) ported enclosure if you wanted to go that route, that that might be tough to do with the limited amount of space underneath the seat of the Ram.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us