2 re audio sex12 or 2 alpine type r 12

Bronze Member
Username: Dloco486

Post Number: 48
which subs are better sealed and ported? and in sq and spl dept? both are in my price range and im either goin to get an aq 1200 or hifonics or soundstream 1200 watt mono.

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1314
holy crap, do you need so many threads?

just make one and stick with it

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

TX

Post Number: 2248
AQ 1200d + Type-r's are the best solution out of those options listed.

Type-r's are SQL woofers, 2 12's in a 4.5cubes total @ 35Hz is going to be awesome, if you want a little more low end while sacrificing a little output, go with 32 Hz for the box tuning.

And like Kyle already stated, STICK TO ONE THREAD PUHLEASE!!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
sorry about that appreciate it im goin to go with tha aq and the type r's.ive always liked alpine to begin with jus never heard the higher end new stuff.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
are these sites that aren't authorized dealers of alpine that are selling them brand new for 127$ a piece without tha manufacturers warranty selling the real sub on ebay an amazon or are they jus slappin the name on their own subs?

Silver Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 120
The Type-R v2's are going on Sonicelectronix for $125, they come with a 1-year warranty.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4281_Alpine-SWR-1242D-TYPE-R.html (click make an offer, i tried $120 and it set it to $125)

If you want the v3's real bad, then I would still recommend buying authorized. It could end up saving you money, better to be safe than sorry IMO.

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
**fixed link
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4281_Alpine-SWR-1242D-TYPE-R.html

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 583
I like the re audio way better than the type rs and why do you need a warranty? The chances of something being wrong with the subs are very very slim and if you blow your subs I highly doubt they will replace them for you.
But if you do plan on upgrading soon selling type rs on craigslist should be much easier to sell than the re audios

Silver Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 922
I myself actually have an AQ-1200 and a set of RE SE subwoofers that have gone through 4 years of abuse and are still performing like the day I purchased them.

I know that these are not the same exact model of Subwoofers that you are looking into, but the quality of RE is top notch. Can't go wrong going with RE.

Between the amplifier brands you listed above, the obvious choice is to go with the AQ-1200. No questions asked!

The Apline Type R's are also top quality Subwoofers, and have been a favorite for a long time. Once again, really can't go wrong with the Type-R's as well.

There's only one way I could break this down to decide on which Subwoofer to pick. If you are willing to sacrifice trunk space to build a large enclosure, then I would suggest going with the Type-R's Ported. If you are looking to try and use the least amount of space, go for the RE seX's in either Sealed or Ported, depending on how much space you can give up.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
@ joe s i really appreciate you breakin it down that way. It was really helpful. how big of a box ported would i need for type r's and how big of a box would i need for the sex's? i will measure my hatch 2morrow 2 c how much space i can facilitate for subs.

Silver Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 925
Anyone can provide specs for a box size and a tuned port in Hz, but I think it would be best to provide the amount of space that we actually have to work with in terms of H x W x L.

Gives us that, and either myself or another Ecoustics member should be able to reply back with specs for either subwoofer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
the hight is 15, from back to front is 26 to 26 1/2, left side to right side is 29" thats the demensions i have to work with, with my subs facing up towards the glass in my hatch.

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
Definitely enough room for a ported box.

Im thinking the Type-Rs in a 3.2 cu.ft box with two 4" aeroports (~18" long each, tuned to 32Hz) everything facing up.

Ill make a model tomorrow if you want.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
only using 3.2 cubes of space that could really work because i could actually make the box taller to slide 18" ports down into. my 15" of hieght was at the very back of the hatch. i'll definitely appreciate a model. ive never made a box before niether has my grandfather and he was who i was goin to have help me build it. hes good with wood and he has the saws to cut the wholes for the speakers and ports.

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
Alright, heres what I came up with...
Its nearly exactly 3.2 cu.ft internal, and those are 4" Inner-Diameter ports. Tuning is about 32 Hz.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and its double-baffled, for a flush-mount. Forgot to add the dimension in the screenies.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 616
I admire your technological prowess

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
lol, thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
that looks good !!! now for the ports do they sell ports shaped like that or do u have to piece them 2gether like plumbing. where can i buy the ports? and how thick wood do i use? is it 3/4 mdf? and is it the same thickness for the baffle? once again that looks great! i really apreciate it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
that looks good !!! now for the ports do they sell ports shaped like that or do u have to piece them 2gether like plumbing. where can i buy the ports? and how thick wood do i use? is it 3/4 mdf? and is it the same thickness for the baffle? once again that looks great! i really apreciate it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
Yea its all using 3/4" mdf, the top is double baffle so its 2 sheets of 3/4" mdf glued together to make 1 1/2".

I had this in mind when I designed that enclosure: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?PartNumber=268-330 but now that I actually went to parts express and looked at the item I realized how large the flare actually is, their actually isn't enough room on the top of the box for two of these.

What you could do is just use PVC pipe without a flare and piece it together like plumbing like you said. Or you could modify the box a bit, I don't feel like doing the math right now but if you extended the depth of the box from 19" to 24" you could fit those flares on it, but you would be adding .84 cu.ft to the box, so you would want to make the box shorter to accommodate.

Depending on if I have time tomorrow I may just re-do it. If I dont have time though, im sure you can figure it out or just go with normal unflarred pvc.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
if i didnt make the box shorter and added the ength to the depth wut would the box be tuned too. if i shortened the box how short would i need to shortin it? and if i shortened the box would they still fit?

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 620
Just do the math, guy. It doesn't matter if the box is shorter, wider, deeper, or whatever. You just need to retain the same inner volume. Use the same ports dude told you to use with the same inner volume, and you will be golden. I doubt you will build this box, or any box for that matter, for you have no drive for self-learning. Surprise me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 139
If you just added 4" to the box depth and did not modify the height of the box or the length of the port, you would have a total box volume of about 4 cu.ft. and it would be tuned to 28.5 Hz and is an option.

If you wanted to keep it at 3.2 cu.ft. tuned to 32 Hz you would need to shorten it by 3" so it would be 12.5" tall. Which actually would but the end of the port uncomfortably close to the wall.

Another option would be still be to widen the box by 4" but only drop the box height by 1.5" which would give you 3.6 cu.ft. And keep the total length of the port at 18" to give you a final tuning of 30Hz.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
@ slackin mack i know the formula LxWxH devided by 1728 but dont know how to find inner volume. and yes i am goin to make this box weather u think or not. im not dreamin up a fantasy or sh!t i screwed myself be4 and i want to make shurr i dont do it again.
@ alonzoub if i use pvc pipe to make the port would 175 psi plumbers cement work for glueing the pipe 2gether? and would gorrilla glue and silicone caulk work to seal the port to the box? i think the pvc route would be easier for me cuz its something i know about. i live in a trailer and have to deal with the plumbing all the time lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 141
I've actually never used PVC, but whatever is commonly used to hold PVC together will be fine. As for sealing that sounds good too, I always use silicone caulk on EVERY SINGLE seam inside the box.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
yea i had planned on doin that too!

Silver Member
Username: Bobby3342

Post Number: 105
owned both both sound great(the rs and the se 12s)i give the edge to the se 12s they have better cooling and are a tad louder. oh yeah and dont be afraid to purchase the new sex 12s the only thing different is the basket and motor cover same cone same coil same surround same motor same fukin sandwich anyway who tells ya other wise is talking out their asz believe me i own both the se 12 and the new sex 12 same sub but as far as prices whtever you can get cheaper the rs will slam in the right enclosure too good luck
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us