12" SQL Sub

Silver Member
Username: Silvermopar

Nebraska

Post Number: 202
Hello All,

I'm looking for some reccomendations again. I'd like to find a nice 12" sub built for SQL over SPL or strictly SQ. I got a new car ('95 Dodge Stratus) for a daily driver, and I miss having a subwoofer(s). My other vehicle has a pair of CVR's in sealed boxes.

With this car, I'd like to get away from the eye rattling unclear bass, and try something a little more clear, yet capable of getting loud. I guess on a 1-10 scale, 1 being SPL and 10 being SQ, I'd like a 6 or 7. I'm on a kinda tight budget, so lets set a limit of $150.

I listen to almost everything, but really enjoy classic rock such as ACDC, Bad Company, and Tom Petty.

I will probably use an old Alpine amp from my old car or something similar. Which would give a solid 150-200 Watts RMS on a 2 Ohm load.

Because I live in the sticks (southwest Nebraska) going to a car audio shop to listen to a few subs is outa the question, it'd be a good 2 hour drive both ways. So I need suggestions from you guys. Or a little schooling on how to get an idea of how a sub sounds based on the specs.

By the way, Space isn't a big problem, but I don't want to waste it either.

Silver Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 923
If your looking for clean hitting Bass in your Price Range and with the amplifier you will be using, I would suggest looking into this Subwoofer here:

RE Audio reX 10D4: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_27301_RE-Audio-REX10D4.html

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 203
Ok, thanks Joe, are there any other that I should consider. I'd be willing to spend up to $150 if it would make a difference in quality, however if a $60 sub sounds good as a $100 sub why waste the money.

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1192
https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154dcadb6276ea3/s hopdata/0050_Speakers/0045_X/product_overview.shopscript

Silver Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 124
Don't forget about the SSA DCON12, at $125 id say its a pretty sweet deal.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/12%22-SSA-DCON-12D4%7B47%7DS4. html

Silver Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 461
Beside the options listed above. A ssa dcon or an incriminator audio 187 would also be nicd choices for your needs and power.

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 584
I say the dcon as well. Or if you like mainstream stuff infinity kappa perfect or jl w3v3 are good choices.

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 205
I think you guys just sold me a SSA DCON. For the price I'm willing to take the chance, but the reviews I've seen and so many reccomendations for it... I'm going to go for it.

That being said, with SQL in mind, would you port or seal it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
Personally I would go ported tuned low, but thats the sound I like.
Then again i don't listen to much classic rock at all so I will let someone else chime in about that. I have a feeling people are going to say sealed would be the way to go for classic rock.

What kind of space are you willing to give up? LxWxH?

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 206
Haven't measured yet, but I don't see why I'd have a problem giving up around 2 cubes for one woofer. These cars have a really nice sized trunk.

Alonzoub, what do you listen to? I want to bring out the beat of the drums, though that's more something for my mid's than the sub. However I know the sub will reproduce some of it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
I listen to a lot of deathmetal/metalcore, some alternative, electronic/dubstep and r&b.

My setup is a pair of Image Dynamics IDQ10v3 in a 3.2 cu.ft box tuned to 30 Hz. Sometimes, depending on the producers recording style I guess, I find the kicks in the bass drums a bit lacking, no real punch. That could be because of the box I designed though. In R&B/Electronic/Dub music though it KILLS, very smooth and clean.

In order to get more of that punch out of the bass drums in my alternative and metalcore music, for some artists I will EQ 60Hz to +3dB with a high Q-factor. Normally with all the other music I listen to my bass EQ is set to 100 Hz, +1dB, low Q.

Ill try some ACDC and Tom Petty in my car later and report back.

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 207
With the number of different boxes I've built for my CompVR's, I've liked the sealed sound better, because I really don't spend much time trying to make other people listen to my music, I generally just like to enjoy it. However, I think the DCON is a whole new kind of woofer for me, and I don't have a lot of power on hand so a ported box may not be a bad idea.

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 208
Bump...

Any more suggestions on what kind of box? How big, and if ported, tuned to what frequency?

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

TX

Post Number: 2251
i would go on the SSA website and ask Denim about the box recommendations for that subwoofer and your goals. He will most likely be the most knowledgable person to contact on that specific driver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us