HELP Choosing Right 2011-12 Full Size Truck

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 3269
Hey fellas, long time no talk, hope all is well.

My dad's in the market for a new truck. He currently has a 2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD King Cab Long bed with about 220k miles now. However, he says he'll never buy another GMC again because he's on his third, yes his THIRD, transmission, and he just installed his third, yes his THIRD, transfer case last year.

He's been averaging about 40k miles a year. Tows our jetski trailer about 10 times a year total about 20 miles each ride (so basically towing is a non-issue, other than it must have a 2" hitch. I think GMC is out of the picture, and if GMC is out, then so is Chevy because they're the same truck.

He's open for pretty much anything other than that. Must have a king cab, not a four door quadcab though. Must have 4wd. Doesn't have to be a 3/4 ton because gas mileage is becoming more and more of an issue. Must be able to have a ladder rack. Not interested in bed caps. Most likely he'll go the gasoline route, PROBABLY no diesels even though I personally think he should consider one. Must have a V8. This is a work truck.

Budget is not really an option, but he's not getting a King Ranch or a Denali, because like I said, it's a work truck.

SOOOOOO

Basically, any input on trucks? Open to Dodge's, Ford's, Toyota's, Nissan's. Open to pretty much anything as long as its a truck.

Ridgelines, Avalanches, and midsize trucks are OUT.

RELIABILITY is the biggest thing.

Any good/bad experiences? I'm having a hard time finding any NON-biased articles on gooooooogle. Thanks guys...

Right now, I like the Titan and the Tundra, but then again, I think the new Rams have been getting awesome reviews.

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 3270
****ALSO

My dad is 54. He does NOT beat the hell out of his trucks. He gets oil changes every 3-5k, changes all the fluids frequently, and properly maintains his trucks. The t-case and tranny issues are not because he does burnouts and neutral drops. I've talked to MULTIPLE other people with 2500HD's, Chevy and GMC, who have had t-case and tranny problems. And no, he doesn't have a plow on it.

Again, THANKS!!!!!

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5929
Ford F150

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11856
Does that GMC have the standard 6L90 trans or the Allison? B/c if the latter there HAS to be more to that story.... the Allisons in the GM HD's are among the best transmissions available. If you don't know crawl under it and see if the word "Allison" is stamped in the bottom of the pan.

As far as a new truck, I have several friends with different relatively new trucks: GMC, Dodge, Toyota. I almost hate to say it being a Chevy truck fan but the dodge is the best value IMO. And it rides far better than any other due to the coil-over rear suspension. 300 hp and 20 mpg out of V8 4.7L is quite respectable also.

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

TX

Post Number: 2233
F150 with the ecoboost v6 engines.. buddy of mine works at the ford dealership and they are going like crazy. also, some of the reviews from the customers come back with like 24-25mpg highway with cold air intake and better exhaust. I rode in one a few weeks ago with my friend and the ride was awesome, plenty of torque for trailers, and price is real nice as well.

Gold Member
Username: 420pimp2

Atlantic City , , NJ

Post Number: 1132
Listen bud, you want a truck. You'll get a ford.

If your only pulling around jetski's a ranger or s-10 could take care of that thats not really a load, just jokin round. F-150 is all you need for that. Ive owned a 97 f-350 with the 7.3 in it and havent evan bought new batteries for it yet. Coming from strictly a die hard truck guy go ford. Theres a reason why there the best selling trucks. Chevy and GMC come close to ford but seems like you've allready found the problems that most have. Dodge, nissan, and toyota arent evan halfway considered trucks in my opinion... Im strictly basing my opinions on experience, work ,owning different trucks and being around them in the workforce and home since I was knee high and not close mindedness!

Ford's the only way to go! Depends on if he wants a 150 threw 350.

Also if your father was a wise man he would go diesel regardless of fuel prices. Matter fact tell him I said that...

Good luck.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11857
I am not sold on those ecoboost engines. Think about it, a turbo'd gas engine. More often than not, turbo setups end up decreasing reliability down the road and the aftermarket kits are known for having all sorts of issues. Do you really want that on a daily driver? Especially when the OP says reliability is priority 1.

IMO any daily driver I have will only be natural induction.

Gold Member

Atlantic City , , NJ

Post Number: 1133
Also depends on if he'll be pulling anything besides jet skies. You guys have a camper, 5-th wheel. Are you going to be hauling around skidloaders/bobcats?

Sounds to me like he just wants it to have it. Look to spend 60 to 70 thousand on a fully loaded crew cab f-350...

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11858
" Theres a reason why (ford) are the best selling trucks. "

Yes that is statistically true. Now for arguments sake, a chevy/dodge fan will say that's b/c they end up found on road dead too early and you have to get a new one

Chevy trucks stay on the road longer than any other, statistically.

Gold Member

Atlantic City , , NJ

Post Number: 1134
Im sold on trucks that have been around for a few years and have been proven 300,000 miles later. I don't get sold on trucks because every idiot in the world has to run right out and buy the new stuff off the lot cause its new, sounds cool looks shiney and is popular!

But I guess thats the difference between me having common sense and the majority of other folks being jackazzes. Hmmmm?

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11859
So pretty much you're out of comebacks, thought so.

Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing ford (except being skeptical about the ecoboost), just messing with you since you're acting like they're the only good option.

Gold Member

Atlantic City , , NJ

Post Number: 1135
Like i said im a chevy guy when it comes to cars. Trucks are on a different concept. The 80's chevy trucks were made better thats about it. Ford bypassed chevy nearly 25 years ago.

Statistically speaking next time you go on a road trip, count how many pre 1990 ford's are on the road compared to how many pre 1990 chevys there are. Ford will by far be the highest contender. Statistics are bs. Like I said I go from life experience. Honestly bud, try it one time and tell me wrong.

I'll tell you your full of shi.t cause I know better.

Regardless chevy and ford are the best available and have and always will be the best trucks bottom line.

Gold Member

Atlantic City , , NJ

Post Number: 1136
The prior post at 9:21 and 9:28 isnt meant for likearock it was still regarding the original poster. I think your confused, you just happened to press send a little bit before I did.

And yea, ford is the only way to go.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24619
My truck has always been and always will be a Ford. Don't get me wrong, I miss the sh1t out of my camaro but when it came to a PU it was ALWAYS an F-150 for me. All of them 4X4 too!

Although I didn't care for physically having to lock the hubs on the earlier models for 4X4 it was worth it. Shift on the fly was the greatest innovation by far lol.

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 3271
Alright guys, he's not just getting a truck to get one. He's been in custom home construction for 30 years, he needs a truck. He's not getting a V6, end of story. He does very little towing except for the jetskis, his amish subcontractors trailers on occasion, and a bobcat sometimes when he's digging a job.

As the owner of his company, he may not always need a 3/4 ton, but the once or twice a month he does, it's worth it. He dumped Ford 15 years ago after some bad experiences and now he thinks he's done with Chevy/GMC.

Basically, I'm looking for a reason to tell him to keep him from going the Tundra/Titan route.

Paul, I think we're going to look at some F150s this weekend.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24620
Nice. The 250 and 350 series offer some substantial extra towing capacities so be sure to inquire. Also the crew/super/king cab options can make your head spin sometimes lol.

Bottom line is it's a good truck.

Gold Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1996
Being a Ford guy myself, I would say the F150 too, but my dad has an '06 GMC Sierra 2500HD and it's been the most dependable truck that he's ever owned. I like it alot. We have had some bad experiences with them in the past, but my dad is a GM guy and will never buy a Ford. He uses it mainly for the farm work. Always has to have a goose-neck ball hitch in the bed so he can haul round bails, pallets of corn/beans, cattle trailer etc. Front suspension works well for the 6 way V plow we use during the winter too.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24623
Word to your Mother lol.

It's an old school debate and one that will always linger..................

Silver Member
Username: Chevyfan502

AQ HDC315AQ 2200

Post Number: 229
My dad just got rid of his old plow truck a little while ago. 1989 GMC Sierra 1500 with a 350. Almost 400 K on original motor, trans, transfer case and hauled a countless number of full loads of wood stacked to the top of the cab with the rear tires buried in the fenderwells.....like mentioned before, how many old fords and dodges do you see on the road compared to old chevys/gmcs? not sh** for fords/dodges. Theres a reason ford sells more...cheaper and less resale value for used buyers...oh yea and dumb city people who think its a FORD truck must be good.

Silver Member

AQ HDC315AQ 2200

Post Number: 230
My dad just got rid of his old plow truck a little while ago. 1989 GMC Sierra 1500 with a 350. Almost 400 K on original motor, trans, transfer case and hauled a countless number of full loads of wood stacked to the top of the cab with the rear tires buried in the fenderwells.....like mentioned before, how many old fords and dodges do you see on the road compared to old chevys/gmcs? not sh** for fords/dodges. Theres a reason ford sells more...cheaper and less resale value for used buyers...oh yea and dumb city people who think its a FORD truck must be good.

Silver Member

AQ HDC315AQ 2200

Post Number: 231
so for double post....

OH YEA, and fords look ghey as fawk....

New chevy/gmcs are sweetest looking trucks yet
New dodge looks real sexy too, best dodge yet
Fords, MEH
lol...my 2 cents

Silver Member

AQ HDC315AQ 2200

Post Number: 232
as for first post, LOL on every 3-5k miles, already can tell he doesn't maintain his trucks very well, if he did it would be every 3k, and not over 3.5k. Were transmission flushes every done? did he put in the truck in D(overdrive) or down in 3rd or w/e the top gear is in that trans when towing? in no way should he have gone through 3 trans with light towing, definitely user error. just calling it as a i c it. if it was actually just mechanical failure i would be shocked, because every case ive see like this, its the user.

Gold Member

TX

Post Number: 2234
Trevor, now you're just trying to get your post numbers up...

QUAD POST LOL

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 8621
ford f250

super duty

http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/

enough said

Gold Member

Post Number: 8622

Gold Member

Atlantic City , , NJ

Post Number: 1137
The majority of dumb City folk usually buy dodges by the way! Ive lived just about everywhere. Does west virginia qualify as city? Lmao

Like I said chevy and ford are equally superior to the rest of the fleet.

But I'll pick ford all day, sunshine!

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11861
" Statistics are bs. "

So then, ford being the best selling trucks is BS.... Can't have it both ways bud...

" OH YEA, and fords look ghey as fawk.... "

Agreed except for the newest body style. The 90s ones were the worst, holy shite those things looked gayer than richard simmions...

" already can tell he doesn't maintain his trucks very well, if he did it would be every 3k, and not over 3.5k. Were transmission flushes every done? did he put in the truck in D(overdrive) or down in 3rd or w/e the top gear is in that trans when towing? in no way should he have gone through 3 trans with light towing, definitely user error. just calling it as a i c it. if it was actually just mechanical failure i would be shocked, because every case ive see like this, its the user. "

What I was thinking all along but was actually trying not to be a dicck for once... lol...
I would bet either that thing towed in OD, or never had a trans flush (real flush not one from the clowns at aamco where they only change the 1/3 of the fluid that's in the pan.)

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24626
I defend my truck and its' looks. By no means to me this looks "gay". Mine is a standard ext cab F-150 and when standing at the rear tailgate the top is level with my shoulders, and I'm 6'2"!! Now that's some ground clearance.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24627
And my truck previous to that one.

Upload

Silver Member

AQ HDC315AQ 2200

Post Number: 233
hehe....i was on a rant, I'm very opinionated and picky about vehicles and dirt bikes/quads....and car audio of course.
Fords have DRASTICALLY improved in looks in recent years, i agree. your current truck isn't "ghey" lol, but i have to be honest your old truck, not for me...
i hope there is no hard feelings paul, you are one of the few people on here that I will take seriously on opinions on audio topics lol

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24628
I don't want to start a vid war but I just saw this vid and............wow, stupid or what?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24629
Never hard feelings dude lol. I just like my truck like everyone else likes their own.

Like Pepsi/Coke. Coors/Bud. McDonald's/BK.

There are debates over them all. Each product satisfies their user in their own way.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11862
Paul, your new truck is the body style I said does NOT look ghey... lol... But to be honest your old truck and the older ones DO.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24630
MS you think THIS looks gay?

Man do I need a drink lol.

That or I'm too old for this group.

Upload

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11864
Yeah, JMO... I can't stand that curved body style, looks too car-like, doesn't look like a truck.... I want a truck to scare ppl when they see it filling up their rear views.

But as you've already said it's all opinions and personal preference. IMO what I hate most are ricers... I'd take your old truck any day over a honda civic with an intake and a fartcan and 100 "type R" stickers. But, to each their own.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8623
its your fu.cking g@y opinion keep it to yourself M.s and SHUT THE FU>CK up..

you always have to bash every damn product u dont like or you dont even know..

first you cant stand rich kids because their parents give them money and your broke..and u had a hard time in high school because they called you poor and they were spoiled..

news flash: not all rich kids are the same.. im not rich but im not poor either..

you bashed on a thread a while ago..

you bash on everything that in "YOUR OPINION" you dont like..

oh yeah man i forgot.. nobody cant beat you.. your charger beats all the ferraris in the world.. i know i forgot.. im sorry..

now you bash on an f150 90s style.. dude theres a reason why the f150's are the number one selling trucks ever..

did you ever realized that you were driving a 90s blazer that looked like sh1t before you got your ferrari killer charger?????

didnt you ever realized that was the gayest sh1t ever???

please M.S SHUT THE FU>CK UP AND KEEP YOUR DAMN OPINIONS TO YOUR SELF..

Gold Member

TX

Post Number: 2236
wtf? really???

I'm straight tired of Porkchops and his b0ner for M.S... Dear lord kid, get over it. how old are you? cause you are acting like a 15 year old drinking his first wine cooler.. chill out, shut up, and just give an opinion on the OP question.

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1176
I work at a place that hauls residental and commercial waste. We have probably 100 or so trucks and most of them are fords. Im not a ford fan myself but i must say these trucks take a beating at this place and they take it like a champ. Most of them are diesels,7.3 i think? Anyway,we have a couple with over 350,000 miles on them and still running strong. I was just never to crazy about the way they look,but thats jmo tho.

I think if it were me personally id buy the Titan,but ive always liked nissans so.....

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11868

quote:

I'm straight tired of Porkchops and his b0ner for M.S... Dear lord kid, get over it. how old are you? cause you are acting like a 15 year old drinking his first wine cooler.. chill out, shut up, and just give an opinion on the OP question.

That makes 2 of us... But it is somewhat comical, if you'll notice every single thing he says is straight wrong....

Ex, when did I ever say my Charger could beat a ferrari? lmao

And my 94 Blazer had every panel with rust relaced (done myself btw) and fresh paint... that thing looked better than half the newer vehicles on the road.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8624
Upload

Gold Member

Atlantic City , , NJ

Post Number: 1138
We have probably 100 or so trucks and most of them are fords. Im not a ford fan myself but i must say these trucks take a beating at this place and they take it like a champ. Most of them are diesels,7.3 i think?

The 7.3 in the ford was one of the best engines ever made hands down undisputed, also the inline straight 6 also made by ford. The body style between 1998 and 2003 werent the hottest, but 1991 threw 1997 there was nothing wrong with that body style.

The 97 f-350 on the right is my truck the one on the left is my buddys truck. I'll take my 15 year old ford with the 7.3 completely stock and pull any new dodge or chevy backwards with power to spare. This truck was one of fords best trucks ever made. The only downfall is the suspension is built so heavy it needs a few thousand pound load to ride somewhat smooth. This trucks an all out tank from ground to top.

Eating chevys and sh.itting out dodges since 1948!

Upload

Gold Member

Atlantic City , , NJ

Post Number: 1139
By the way this pic was taken in west virginia for all you country folk who have a single track mind and opinionate and stereotype everything you see or here like a bunch of 12 year old kids, because of a location that might say A.C. New Jersey.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24635
Just my opinion as well that I believe more diesel powered trucks used for commercial purposes are also Fords. I have no evidence to back that up but just an observation. Be it a landscaping company, gravel yard or lumberyard. I just seem to see more of them with business info on the doors. I see a lot of Rams too lately. Hey whatever rocks your boat and gets the job done so be it, and love it too.

I freaking love this song.

Gold Member

Atlantic City , , NJ

Post Number: 1140
Personally one of my favorite trucks/body style are the 80's chevy's. #1 body style besides the 60's chevrolets

Im currently looking for a 1987 chevy with a half decent body. Like I said in a previous topic somewhere about my camaro being retired. I would like to put my 350 in an 87 or 86 chevy.

Any one know anybody trying to get rid of one let me know.

(also just because someone says there a ford fan doesn't mean there not a chevy fan depending on the year/model of the truck... They have both had there glory and are both excellent trucks like previously mentioned 2 or 3 times regardless of the dumb babyfied favoritism and disputes)

Gold Member

Atlantic City , , NJ

Post Number: 1141
Brooks n Dunn sucks to see em split after all these years of puttin out great real country!

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24636
True that. A part of me wishes I was from/lived in the South.

In about 6-8 years that's where my boots will be resting though lol. Either in Georgia or possibly Tennessee. My entire family is moving down South due to the insane increasing living costs of Jersey. Once my kids are of age to decide for themselves I'm gone.

Gold Member

TX

Post Number: 2238
its cheap to live in south texas lol. 250k buys a hell of a house down here. but the weather kills a lot of northern people. they are not used to 110+ degree weather, heat waves, heat stroke warnings, and humidity lol. but we all gotta live somewhere, right?

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5937
Paul, you will be like a modern day Einstein down there...

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 566
Southern living is the only way to live. As far as trucks go, If you have to decide among the big 3, DODGE is surely the way to go. The Hemi is super strong, with 380 horses and 400 lb ft. the cummins is legendary and reliable above all others with 350 hp and 800lb ft of tourque @ 1600 RPM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they look the best too, and have forever.

Ur dad is looking for an extended cab, right? without 4 doors? Well that is the only thing the Ram does not have. they DO have a small 4-door version if you don't like the huge back seat (how could you not).

Also, the Toyota Tundra is pretty sweet nowadays with the 5.7 l iforce v8 putting out 381 hp and 401 lb ft. hahaha they just had to nudge past the HEMI. The Tundra also has the cab configuration you are prolly looking for.

Gold Member

Atlantic City , , NJ

Post Number: 1142
I have never truly researched dodge online , I have went by personal life experience and know hands on there garbage, but to put dodge and reliable in the same sentence?

Any way 3 sec search found this allready!
http://www.daimlerchryslervehicleproblems.com/
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091118082421AAR3Ghg
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114656

Gold Member

Atlantic City , , NJ

Post Number: 1143
Also cummins is a great engine bud. But guess who there made by, cummins, not chrysler!

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 569
Are there any intelliigent arguments to my statements? Peterbilt and freightliner use cummins. Chevy's deisels are made by isuzu. Fords deisels were made by internatiional up until this year. If it means anything that companies contract out for their deisels, its a good thing. They r getting motors made by serious companies who have proved they make good quality reliable product. The new ford????? I guess we will see n 20 years if they hold up like a cummins

Gold Member

Atlantic City Baltim..., , NJ/MD

Post Number: 1151
But of course!

If you had the slightest bit of intelligence you wouldn't defend a chrysler product. Enough said.

It is what it is, every ones entitled to an opinion. I could see myself a dodge man in another life. Eh, maybe not.

Btw, just fu.ckin with you, please don't go into a 2 page rant about superior intelligence.

Goodnight World

Gold Member
Username: Crayola0

Portage, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2660
id personally never go dodge.....i had a durango with less then 100k on it and the engine block was cracked and everything just went to sh*t.....My dad owns a chevy diesel 2004 i believe, and its a great truck...never had any problems with it.....my boss owns a f350 turbo diesel and that thing is a beast too!!! IMO they are both great truck makers and have been doin it for a long time....so either route would be a good one

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 570
Dodge has had their share of illegitamate b@stard love children like the durango and the dakkota

But expect great things from the new durango and cummins in general. And pimp I ain't gonna get all butt-hurt like porkchops and cry over some nit-wit arguing w me. We r all entitled to our opinion no matter how ignorant it may be

Gold Member

Post Number: 1154
turtle soup ?

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 572
hahahaha don't knock it til you've tried it!

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3162
Here's some Ecoboost torture test for ya!

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/01/what-the-inside-of-a-torture-tested-ecoboos t-v-6-looks-like.html

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24644
Based on that testing sequence I'd have to say

FORD KICKS MOTHERFUCKINGASS!!!!

That is all

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24645
Lol. Ok, bring it.

It's on like Donkey Kong!!

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3163
I want an eoboost ranger dammit!

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 578
EcoBoost polaris RZR

I would be dead in less than a day

Gold Member

Post Number: 1156
Hell g-damnit build a moped around one!

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 583
Imagina all that sheer strength between ur legs.....gives me the shivers

Gold Member

TX

Post Number: 2245
hahaha i was the one who offered up te Ecoboost and it got shotdown fast cause its a v6. it killed the chevy and dodge v8s.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 589
you can only be so cool with a v6. It doesn't sound cool at all, and somehow I can't help but think it's weak. I know, I know, it has good numbers, but IT'S A V6 !!!!!! Then again, a cummins is a straight 6, but apples and ratchets.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1158
My first car was a pickup truck 87 f-150 with the inline 6 300 and that truck was a straight torque monster.. It's 2 ci away from the v-8 302 . The motor has over 300,000 miles on it and it still runs. Only problem now is a ticking valve. Ford literally took these engines off the market because they lasted to long and were to good for there own good.

If it doesn't break down eventually company's loose money threw maintenance and new purchases on newer trucks. Ford saw them as a nu sense to profits. Yep , I shi.t you not!

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 590
Yeah that's why Honda stopped making the 300 fourtrax
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us