A nice competition sub need advice

Username: Dloco486

Post Number: 1
I am fixin to buy a new car and its goin to be a lot smaller than the 1 i got now so i need to buy a new system the 1 ive got now wont fit in anything smaller. Im lookin into buying 1 12" competition sub between 1000 to 2000 watts rms my price range is 400$ and under. I was kinda thinkin bout gettin a re audio mx 12 if u know somthing better in that price range ild like to hear it.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11824
DD 9512 if you can find a used one it should go for around that price

Post Number: 2
thanx i appreciate it im goin to jot down that model # but if i cant find that dd is the re mx 12 a good sub worth the $

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 2015
FI BTL N2 12

AQ HDC 312

SSA XCON

Sundown Audio Z v.2 << 25$ over budget.

FI BL with the 4" coil.

Post Number: 3
does the ssa xcon hit harder and have a better sound quality than the re mx12 for sure i just got off the ssa website and it's the same price to have them build 1 as it is for the re mx 12. have you heard both?

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2752
The XCON sounds better, at least comparing 18s. For that price/power range the Ascendant Audio Havoc and XCON are my top choices for output while sounding decent.

Are you actually competing for TL scores, or mainly to the ear? Some subs will sound better, while others you may get a better score with. If you could be a bit more specific there are a ton of options out there.

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 333
Straight output - Fi BTL N2

Output, some love the SQ, some hate it - DD 9512G, (apparently they're "over-built SQ subs")

Getting cheaper, output+better SQ than BTL - Fi BL

Stepping up the SQ - Fi Q

Better lows/not the same but like a Q, but with less sensitivity - SSA ICON

Getting more expensive+stepping up the power handling (SQ+output) XCON

Cheaper+still handles power - AQ HDC3

The Havoc competes with the Q, but it's considered a slightly better Q.

The difference between the Q and the BL is less than the BL and BTL, so a big step up in SQ between the BL & BTL, so I read...

I think the RE MX 12 is wack - efficiency 1W/1m: 83.5 dB SPL.

BTL Efficiency - 89.5 dB. A 6 dB loss from sensitivity sucks. Then there's power compression and heat dissipation, but most likely sensitivity will matter more in the 1000-2000 watt range.

I think the best output without sacrificing SQ would be the XCON.

If you can find any one of those used for cheap than buy that and put more into the electrical.

I havn't heard any of them. I read a lot though. I have a 05 RE XXX 12, which is the best sub I've ever heard as per SQ while retaining lots of output.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11830
" I have a 05 RE XXX 12, which is the best sub I've ever heard as per SQ while retaining lots of output. "

x100

That is my favorite sub I've ever heard also. Close second would be the Stereo Integrity MAG.

Post Number: 4
yea sorry about not being more specific i'm actually not planning on entering contests or anything like that cant afford the electrical system or enuff subs to be even suficient for contests just lookin for a great sub for every day listining that will produce the bass that both the 15's i have in my trunk now do. or more bass but im lookin for a sub that has way better sound quality as well which that shouldnt be hard the quality not the bass part. the subs i have now please dont clown to hard are autotek mean machine 700 watt rms a piece. i had a really limited budget so with what i did spend i didnt feel ripped off on them i only payed 200 for the subs in the big box theyre the white cones cant remember the model # though. hit really hard but have horrible response time

Post Number: 5
basically im lookin for a sub that hits hard enough to make the roof of a car shake but has great response and deep lows with great sq a sub fast enuff to hit all notesbut can also get real loud and almost every post everybody has said the xcon so yall have pretty much led me from my original purchase which was goin to be th re audio mx 12 im glad i found this sight before i spent the $ on it
if i buy the xcon in dual 2 ohm will the ss rub 1600:1 amp be sufficient till i can afford a better amp most i can spend on amp is 230

Post Number: 6
wrong id for amp i meant SOUNDSTREAM RUB1.1600D will that be good for a starter amp till i can afford somthing better for the ssa xcon 12 and what size box would i need. does box need to be ported or do they sound better in a sealed box

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3161
I've heard that the mx is very inefficient. A local shop near me threw one on 1500w and it barely moved...

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 335
The XCON is 1750W RMS, you won't need to upgrade. You won't tell the difference between a couple hundred watts, that amp is a good match.

If you tune lower than around 35 Hz (like 32 hz) than ported would cover the lows better until around 25 Hz, which is rare in rock and rap. 25 Hz is just getting to the point where I can't hear the bass.

Ported or sealed, but it's not better than other subs for a sealed box, I think you'd rather have ported. Go by what SSA recommends, tune 27-33 Hz, use 1" MDF with a 2" face (baffle), resined inside, everything facing forewards if you can (sub & port on the same side), 45's in the corners, braced at half way with a 2x4, every corner is rounded, using ample port area, trying to not exceed 30" port length, and using up the space you have in the most efficient way. That is a ported box. I/we can design you one if you give the useable dimensions, it might cost $50 instead of $300+ if you do it yourself.

For 1 12" to wire into an amp that does 1600W @ 1 ohm, you want Dual 2 ohm coils.

Rub1 hahaha.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 337
"I've heard that the mx is very inefficient. A local shop near me threw one on 1500w and it barely moved..."

"I think the RE MX 12 is wack - efficiency 1W/1m: 83.5 dB SPL.

BTL Efficiency - 89.5 dB. A 6 dB loss from sensitivity sucks. Then there's power compression and heat dissipation, but most likely sensitivity will matter more in the 1000-2000 watt range."

;).

Post Number: 7
you said i wouldnt need to upgrade the amp does that mean soundstream makes good amps i wasnt sure i just knew it seemed efficient power rating i dont know much about the brand itself and would i need to upgrade the electrical system if its stock electric or would i just need a capicitor to push that amp and if i would just need a cap what is 1 that would be sufficient for 50$ or under would a 3 farad cell power acoustics work?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2754
Once you get to that power range a few hundred watts doesn't even mean a dB difference. If that SS amp does even close to 1600 rms you'll be fine.

Small cars are not known for nice electrical systems from the factory, so I would definitely plan on upgrading your factory battery and possibly adding a second down the road. A 2nd battery is better than a capacitor - a cap wont do what you're looking for.

The XCON sounds great in a good ported box, I would go that route just for output. I doubt you'll have as much output as the 2 15s though, if you're using the same amount of power you're still using way less cone area. 480 cm^2 compared to ~1600 cm^2.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 340
Yeah the 15's should have more output (they're sealed, right?)

Can you fit a ported 15 or 18 in 4 or 6 cubes NET?

Post Number: 8
the box my 15's r in is ported and im not sure how to figure up the cubic feet if i was to guess ild say its around 31/2 to 7 cubes but when i bought them i got the wrong amp they were 2 ohm dvc so i bought an amp that would push 500x2 at 2 ohms when i took the subs to have them wired because they were crossed in the box and i didnt know the right way to wire them i found out i got the wrong amp so each sub is only gettin 300 watts rms so im not gettin the i dont think im getting the output u think i am or should be getting my subs are really under powered i think they are only using half the excursion they're sposed too cuz they dont move very far maybe about half an inch i have these in a 93 lincoln continental the car im goin to get is a 98 to 02 mustang so i dont know how much trunk space ill have so what does having a ported box vs a sealed box actually do for sound performance i got a couple of buddys trying to tell me that sealed boxes are better but thats all they've used plus they're also not using one of these exp comp subs either. now if i choose to add a 2nd battery will i still have to upgrade the other battery or the alternator and would 1 of the cheap 45$ batteries from walmart work and how would u hook up a second battery

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1173

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

TX

Post Number: 2232
dude...use some punctuation or something. that was painful to read.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 347
Watch this, this is what a good 12" in a good ported box can do with a couple thousand watts, in a trunk.

Use a reputable deep cycle battery, not a Walmart cheapo.

3.5 to 7 cubic feet? Dude you really need to be able to eye-ball things better.

Let's go back to grade 3 for a second, L" * W" * H" / 1728 = cubic feet.

I hope reading that lack of punctuation didn't give me brain damage. Some seldom see single small sub sealed setups singing seriously sinister so spend sparingly.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 2023
this is what my setup looks like.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 2024
1728 = cubic feet <<< thats a HUGE box.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 348
Do you realize I said "length in inches multiplied by width in inches multiplied by height in inches divided by 1728 equals cubic feet"?

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 2025
no, i was distracted by b00bs.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11851
About batteries, not all deep cycles are made equal. The run of the mill deep cycle like the yellowtop is NOT what you want for car audio... yes they can be discharged completely but they are very weak in terms of power supplied.

What you want to look for in car audio is the 5 sec "burst" current supply rating. Amplifiers demand massive amounts of power in short bursts, they rest of the time they don't draw much.

Tip: Odyssey batts are usually the best in that department. Look into Sears' diehard platinum (only the platinum) they are re-branded odysseys for less $

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5927
That was the longest run-on sentence I have ever seen posted.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5928
"Tip: Odyssey batts are usually the best in that department. Look into Sears' diehard platinum (only the platinum) they are re-branded odysseys for less $"

I actually learned something on E today. Thanks MS.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11853
haha np, I've mentioned that several times on here... I actually found that out from sean and then checked it out for myself

Post Number: 9
deep cycle = marine batt? sorry 4 run on sentence was a lil drunk last nite. how would i hook up this batt? would i need to upgrade the alternator? and i figured out the size for the box my 15's r in. its almost 71/2 cubes. thanks for the formula. will the ssa xcon 12 with a 1600 watt rms power supply make the roof of my car jump? hopefully thats a lil bit better. lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 2756
Check out a few vids and you can see the difference between a cheap and a good battery.

http://www.youtube.com/4xspower

Just replacing your factory battery with a good one can make a huge difference.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us