OT-New exhaust

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

Post Number: 3318
For those of you that dont know I drive a 01 S10 with the 4.3 V6. I need to re-do my exhaust. I had Flowmaster duals on it but after about 6 years the muffler and pipes just rusted off,I dont know if the place I got it done at just did a shitty job or what but it was literally dragging so I had to get under there and cut it the rest of the way off. So for a while it was just y-pipe to cat and thats it,no pipes or nothin. I decided to cut off my cat a few weeks ago,cuz I needed money lol. Hell I got 85 bucks for it. So anyways now it just sounds like complete azz! I just want to run a muffler with no cat and a turn down pipe right after the muffler and dump it before the rear axel,I want my exhaust completly hidden underneath my truck,no tailpipes. I already know what muffler Im going to get,I want a Thrush welded muffler. They are only around $35 and I just like the sound of those mufflers.

My question is what size pipe should I run? What size inlet/outlet muffler should I get? I think stock size is 2.25" I was thinking of doing a new y-pipe 2.25" to 2.5" pipe to a 2.5" inlet/ single 2.5" outlet with a turn down tip dumped before my rear axel. Does that sound good or should I go with 3" or stick with 2.25" or what? I dont want it to be stupid loud but I want a nice rumble. And do you think since I wont be runniong a cat the Thrush welded muffler would be too loud? Please let me know what you all think. Any suggestions are welcome.

Silver Member
Username: Atreidies

Houston, TX

Post Number: 102
Any time you go bigger diameter pipe, it is louder. Take away the cat too, and it will be really loud, plus it will get a little bit raspy.

I don't think it would be too loud with 2.25" all the way with no cat, but it will probably still sound like sh1t.

You can get a universal cat from Summit for under $100. You won't get ticketed for not running one and you will get a smoother exhaust note.

I would run 2.5" after the Y with a cat and a muffler, or at least a resonator and a muffler.

If you use a high temp paint on the piping after it is welded up, it will help it to last longer. Any time you weld mild steel, it will rust at the weld if you don't protect it in some way.

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 495
I had a 2000 s10 ZR2 with the 4.3 vortec. it was a beast. I cut the cat off, and replaced the muffler with a 24" glasspack muffler and I put a 4x18 tip on behing rear wheel. It was not loud at all, and had a nice deep rumble to it. If you are planning on y-ing it off,, DON'T ! It will sound much better with all the exhaust in one pipe. if you cut the cat, it will throw off your O2 sensor, and you will get worse mileage/lose maybe 5hp which hopefully you will gain with reduced backpressure so maybe it will even out. The pipe thickness really doesn't matter too much, and it will not make it louder just because the pipe is bigger. It may make it sound a tad deeper, but only if you put a way larger diameter tip on it. The difference between 2.25 and 2.5 is negligable and will not make that much difference in sound. It WILL sound different, however, dumping right after the muffler. It will have no tip and cant resonate, therefore it wll sound sharp, kinda like a dragster, and not deep and rumbly. Just don't go up to 3" after the muff. it needs some backpressure.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 496
you could, however, put a large diameter tip on right after the muff and keep it hidden, it would sound good. all in what youre looking for. I have no experience with the thrush, so good luck

Silver Member

Houston, TX

Post Number: 103
Ugghh. There is no such thing as a motor that NEEDS backpressure. Lowering backpressure raises where you produce max torque in the rpm range, increasing it lowers where you make max torque in the rpm range.

Increased diameter exhaust system WILL increase loudness. The only way you would not is if you ran bigger piping to oem size muffler, which would be retard3d.

Dumps only sound louder because the exhaust pulse is bouncing off the ground.

He's not talking about Y-ing it, he's talking about the merge from both cylinder banks coming to one pipe before the cat.

Silver Member

Houston, TX

Post Number: 104
No offense Mack, I just hear that said so many times and it's a myth.

"It is a common myth among drag racers and motor-enthusiasts that not enough back pressure in the exhaust will cause a loss of torque. This myth stems from the phenomena associated with a loss of low-end torque when using headers with large primary tubes. Most enthusiasts incorrectly conclude that their restrictive OEM exhaust provided more torque because of the back pressure it creates. The correct reason for the loss in torque is explained below. "

If you would like to read more into it, here is a link to the page I got that from. It's a pretty good write-up on pulse flow and fluid dynamics in internal combustion engines.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 497
I will look at that site when I have more time, but I do know that If your pipes are too big, the exhaust just sits in there and has to be pushed out by the next pulse of air. With the correct size pipe, you get the venturi effect, where one pulse of air pulls the following pulse of air out. Kinda like when the titanic sunk, it sucked all those people down behind it. So, Its not backpressure that we are worried about.....its lazy exhaust that sits around in the extra space within the exhaust pipe. By all means, if you can reduce backpressure by shortening the total length of your exhaust, then do it.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 498
Also , I do not buy into the myth of the exhaust sounding louder with larger pipes. it will, however, sound defferent...deeper. and when the exhaust dumps short, it is not deep and boomy like with large tips. It is sharp and intense.

No offense, atreidies, as there was certainly none taken. I think we both made some pretty good points.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3320
Thanks for the responses guys. I still think I am going to go with a 2.5" single in/out Thrush welded muffler. I think I will just keep the stock y-pipe and stock diameter piping. And I still want it dumped underneath the truck but maybe not before the rear axel,maybe just after it if it will make it quieter then thats probably what Ill do. Im gonna go ahead and buy the muffler and take it to a shop and tell them what kind of sound Im looking for and see what they say. All I know is right now it sounds like complete azz and Ive already been pulled over for loud exhaust so I have to get a muffler on there. And I still dont want to run a cat,in my state it is not illegal to not have one. They did away with the emissions test years ago. I have looked on youtube and found a bunch of videos of S10s with the 4.3l and a Thrush welded muffler and no cat and I loved the way it sounded. I was also considering a Thrush turbo style muffler but I heard videos of those too and I was not happy with the sound they have. I really do not like the way a glasspack sounds on S10s so those are out of the question completely. If I dont like the way the Thrush welded sounds I can always get another muffler since they are so cheap anyways. I used to have a Flowmaster and I like the sound but it just seemed like there was way too much back pressure and Ive read a lot of reviews and people said the same thing,that Flowmasters sound good but you can get mufflers that are almost identical for a third of the price and that Flowmasters have way too much back pressure. Here is a link to the Thrush I will be getting.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17656/

Silver Member

Houston, TX

Post Number: 105
Sounds good man!

FYI-It is federal law that you have a cat if the vehicle came with one from the factory. Your state may not visually check at inspection, and chances are a cop won't look under your truck. Just letting you know.

Post a vid when you get it done!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3323
It is also against the law to have HID lights in your vehicle if it didnt come with them from the factory but Im running HIDs too! lol oh well if they say anything Ill just say I bought the truck like that. Just hope they dont read this forum lol! I will be ordering the muffler today from Summit so when ever it gets here Ill probably have it installed the next day. How much do you think it would cost at a shop to weld up a muffler? All Ill need is about 3-5 feet of pipe and a turn down tip and then the labor cost of them welding so its not like I will have to buy a bunch of materials.

Silver Member

Houston, TX

Post Number: 106
Should be under $100. Most places will charge around $40 just to weld up a muffler. The rest depends on how many bends you will need. Don't take it to a pretty muffler shop, the ugly ones tend to charge less.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3324
I called a well know hometown shop in my area that my dad,grandpa,and some buddies swear by. They have been around for 50 years or so and are kind of a hole in the wall looking place but I have heard nothing but great things about them so Im gonna give them a shot. When I called I told the guy exactly what I wanted to do and he said he could probably do it for around $50 but he couldnt say for sure with out looking at it. But that sounds about right for what I want done. I just got done ordering the muffler so it should be here probably less than a week. If you are interested I can post a vid after I get it installed. Thanks for your respones man,I apperciate it.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 500
Yea post a vid when you get it on. Also, if it dumps under your cab, it will be louder to the DRIVER, not the by-standers. If you dump it after the axle, it will quieter to the driver and will cut down on annoying highway drone that you have to crank your system up so loud to drown it out. I like the hole-in-the-wall idea. All of everyone's business should be at a place like this........otherwise, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16880
id like to see the exhaust when done....vid

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 504
EVERYONE THAT HAS AFTERMARKET EXHAUST, POST VIDS OF IT WITH SOUND HERE

Gold Member
Username: 420pimp2

Atlantic City , , NJ

Post Number: 1089
Hid lights are legal in Maryland never heard of that one. Also you wont be able to notice any performance gains or losses ,exhaust modifications don't make to much of a noticeable gain in hp unless you have work done to the engine.

Either way you mod your exhaust it will still sound like a 4.3.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 505
them 4.3 vortecs are beast. you could get a goood exhaust on one of them to sound like a 4.6 mustang v8 w shiiity exhaust. Plenty o tourque for a v6 also

Gold Member

Post Number: 3326
I never said anything about performance. Im not worried about that really. I just want it to sound decent. The 4.3 is not a bad motor,for a V6 its got some balls. That motor in a small pick up truck does pretty well. Im not looking to race it or anything like that but its always fun to pull up next to a "Fast and Furious" Honda with all the neon lights and fart can exhaust and the huge wing and just eat it lol. Ive even ran it against my buddies V6 Camaro and beat him by about 2 car lengths,V6 Mustangs are no match either and any Civic,Integra,etc are just hilarious to watch when a little ol' S10 beats them lol. Now Im talking of course about all those cars being stock or little mods. Only mods I have in my truck is a Spectre intake and I had Flowmaster duals but those are gone. Preformance isnt really my main interest,I would rather but my money in to my stereo equipment or visual mods like my HIDs and I do have it lowered 3" front and rear. I have a smooth roll pan,license plate box,tailgate handle relocator to make my tailgate smooth but still be able to open and close it and tinted windows. There are still tons of things I wish I could do to it like air ride,I have been dreaming about that for years and it will probably never happen Well my muffler should be here tomorrow and Ill try to have it installed this weekend but Im not sure if that will happen. Summit ships damn fast huh?

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 510

Gold Member

Atlantic City , , NJ

Post Number: 1093
I have a 3rd gen 91 camaro with a 350 tbi I dropped in it a few years back, I would love to throw that feller in an s-10 with a half decent body. Guy i knew was selling an 89 or so S-10 for 700$ a few years back ,I was going to grab it up, but bought a super clean signature series 90 lincoln town car instead. I kind of regret not buying the s-10 considering the camaro's retired and the 350 in it would have made a nice addition to that s-10.

Also the guy that owned it was a retired marine and retired from the gm plant.So you know the truck was taken care of. He had all the extras put in it when he specialty ordered it threw gm. Some rust around the rockers and rear fender wells but hell thats normal for older trucks and not to hard to fix. 700$ lol damn I should have bought that motherfu.cker

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2741
Pimp I missed out on a 96 jeep Grand Cherokee a few years back. $500, great engine, but someone stole a few hoses and some sort of cover that would have cost about $1-200 to replace. low mileage, 4x4, great condition, just couldn't drive it and wanted something then.

I'll take a vid of my exhaust in a bit and post it.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 511
Continuing the theme, I missed out on a 1994 Range Rover they were asking $2500 for. 4x4, solid front axle, 4.2 v8, roof rack, stock EVERYTHING so you know it was taken care of. perfect condition just a lil dust on it. Man, I wanted that thing bad. Right befor I could gather up the cash, he sold it. Bummer dude

Gold Member

Post Number: 3328
I got the muffler Thursday I think? But I wont be able to get it welded up for another week or so. Gotta wait on my girl to get paid,yes thats right my girlfriend is paying to get my exhaust done lmao! Im just a playa playa like that rofl. Plus Im jobless so shes paying to get my truck fixed or we just wont be driving anywhere lol. But anyways,got the muffler Thursday looks well,it looks like a muffler. I ordered it from Summit and inside the box for some reason was a Schick 5 blade razor,I dont know why they would include that but they did. So if you need a new razor just order something from Summit and they'll hook you up with a deadly looking one with 5 damn blades lmao! Ill post a vid once I get it on my truck. Keep the vids coming though,I like vids!

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2742
Eh it was too dark, my pics and vids turned out bad. I have dual exhaust, 2 magnaflow mufflers, I want to say 2.5" in and out. I hated the crackly loud cheap sound it had without cats, and my old ones were bad, so I had new ones welded back in. It sounds smooth, deep, and no terrible sound as the rpms drop.

At idle you really can't tell I did anything, except for the chuffing sound the turn downs cause. I had the pipes ran behind my bumper, then bent and cut off so its not visible without your head under the truck. Ill post some pics and vids tomorrow, I had the muffler guy talk me out of borla, and while I like this better than any muffler I've used I wish I had held my ground.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 512
How does E manage to put relevant advertisements on each thread? If we talk about mufflers, there is a magnaflow ad. If we talk about tweeters, there are tweeter ads, ETC....... Someone is on their job LMAO

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1296
maybe its coincidence for you butt he add for me is some prescription drug

Gold Member

Post Number: 3330
I see no ads FireFox with Adblock Plus FTW!

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 515
dude that sounds sweet. Someone told me to install firefox instead of my windows vista. MEH. I heard windows 9 is coming out. Wonder if it will be good. I have heard good things about google chrome too, but I don't know what would be different in either. How do you compare FireFox to Windows???

Gold Member

Post Number: 3334
FireFox > IE
Opera is another great browser and Ive tried Google Chrome and it was ok,kinda reminded me of Opera though. Ill stick with FF its my fav.

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1297
"How do you compare FireFox to Windows???"

uhh... one is an internet browser and the other is operating software.
you must be thoroughly confused

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 517
haha yea I am. I guess I meant "How do you compare FF to IE?"

Gold Member

Post Number: 3338
There is no comparison FF is way better and faster. Only newbs still run IE

Gold Member

Atlantic City , , NJ

Post Number: 1111
Ff=#1 IE=#2
opera=3

Operas blackberry app is extremely time saving. Especially with older model bb's. (Respect(
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us