Soldering

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

Crescendo Audio FTMFW!!!, AA Havoc 15 ... Your Mom FTW!!!

Post Number: 3476
Hey just had a few questions about soldering. I have never soldered anything before and dont really know much about it. First off where can I get like a whole kit? Maybe one that comes with the iron,tips,solder,etc pretty much everything Ill need? How much are kits like that? Also I remember reading somewhere that you need "flux" wtf is that and where do I get it and what kind/brand? I dont really need anything fancy or too expensive,just something that will get the job done. I need it to repair my Clarion amp,it just needs a little solder on this peice inside of it,its not a big deal. And one of the speaker wire connections on one of my tweeters came loose so now I just have it glued on there which Im sure isnt great but it works lol. Any links or suggestions on where I could get everything I need and estimated price on the stuff?

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

Sorry, I have a new 20...

Post Number: 1589
I bought mine from parts express for pretty cheap ~$10. My project turned out alright. Still works today anyway. Brad could tell you better he is all kinds of soldering certified i think.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3483
Ya know I didnt even think to look on PE. Thanks! Im gonna go look there now.

Gold Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 1379
I bought mine at the dollar store. and it came with a 2 small pieces of soder worked great for a one time use.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5989
99 Cents Only FTMFW! I go there and walk out with like seven bags of stuff and it only costs me $40.

Twiz... flux is like a cleaner/de-oxidizer for the metal, and plus it makes the metal ready to accept the solder, otherwise it has all kinds of oil and contamination on it and the solder will just roll off. You put a drop or two on the pieces you wanna solder together, then touch it with the iron and let it burn off. Radio Shack has decent kits for cheap and they are good quality. Harbor Freight and Home Depot too, but I forget what ghetto-azz state you live in.

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 1380
He lives with the other inbred hicks in kentucky.

Silver Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 195
I also got mine from PE
This one to be exact: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=374-100

Got the $5 tip set too http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?PartNumber=374-102

All in all its probably the best soldering iron ive owned, (out of like 3) but I don't consider myself a hardcore hobbyist with all the fancy tools or anything like that.

A small spool of solder like this http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=370-054 will do the job.

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1227
This is something ive been wondering too. Now those irons,are they for like soldering smaller wire an such or can you use something like that on bigger wire? Like if i wanted to solder ring terminals on some power wire, what would i use then?

Silver Member

Post Number: 198
How big of a power wire are we talkin? Anything above 8 awg and I dont think a soldering iron will do the job, honestly 8 awg is probably pushing it.

Check out this vid for ring terminals on 0 awg.

I found it when I was doing Big 3 on my car, but i didn't try it cuz I didnt have a torch. But it looks legit.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3485
I actually just went to Harbor Freight today to get a rachet strap and stopped to look at the soldering irons. I ended up getting a cheapo $10 kit that came with a few tips,stand,small amount of solder and a case. I went ahead and got an aditional spool of solder too. I just got finished trying it out,I was just practicing on some scrap peices of wire,and I guess its ok. I mean it does do what its supposed to but the handle on the iron gets pretty hot after awhile. I really dont know the technique to doing it yet but I will learn,hopefully. I like the one you linked on PE a lot better and its only a few bucks more than the one I got. Maybe Ill upgrade eventually. But for now I think Ill be happy with the one I have. I really dont even think Ill use it that much. Although mine did come with some wood/leather burning tips,maybe Ill start decorating peoples belts for a fee lol!

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11904
Harbor Freight FTW... every month I buy whats on super coupon lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 3488
Yea I love that place too! Ill go in there needing one thing and end up being there like 3 hours and buying a bunch of stuff I dont really even need lol. Like today I went in for a rachet strap and came out with a soldering iron kit,solder,some "cool" chrome/blue valve stem caps,they were on sale for a buck so why not lol. And actually almost bought a big azz folding knife lol.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24887
Don't get too addicted to HF. I loved the place too and use it to stock up on shop supplies but their power tools are VERY questionable.

I recently purchased two Bernzomatic micro torches and LOVE the sh1t out of them. Butane powered and great for tight spots. I have like 2 cases of butane so this was an easy choice. Removable/changeable tips with adjustable torch setting. I did the iron and gun for years but this tool beats them hands down for small electrical soldering. Check it out. Only $7.50.

http://http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-ST200T-Micro-Butane-Torch/dp/B0000CBIJS

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11905
I like their power tools. They are not pro quality, they're cheap and will do the job for the occasional DIY'er (me). Plus you can get 1-2 year extended warranties on them. For a $20 grinder I'll take my chances lol. For a $100 aluminum floor jack I got the warranty.

My dad's had a few things electrical and hydrulic come DOA from them, but always got replacements.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24888
I used to stock up on their cordless drills because of the price. $20 a shot for an 18V drill? Yeah, gimmee 10 lol. At that price they were pretty darn disposable. It's the battery. The mechanics are pretty reliable but the battery will give you a year tops. Literally I had a collection.

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 202
dam... I always heard my buddies talk about HF and how bad@$$ it is... but $20 for an 18V drill??? I need to visit this place... closest one is over 30 mins away from me tho.

Sweet collection btw.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24892
They're all gone! I have Craftsman, Ryobi and Dewalt drills now that will last many times over what those drills would have lasted me. Again worth the $$? Yup. A tool to put aboard the space shuttle? Not a chance lol.

HF is great for anyone starting out looking to acquire a decent set of beginner's tools be it hand or power but they are exactly what you think they are in quality/price comparison. The gems I bought there and love today are their benchtop drill presses (even floor standing ones too), chisels and drill bits, sandpaper and shop towels, ect.

I did buy a 12" compound miter saw from them that I have to say is far better in value than those costing 100's more. Laser guided with electric stop, for like $180. Try getting that saw from anyone decent under twice that. The b1tch is the blades. They aren't cheap. A saw cuts only as good as its' blades' teeth, so to speak. A decent 12" crosscut blade can set you back $60 or more. Sometimes much more.

I bought the saw because, well, I wanted it lol. Have NOT been disappointed yet.

For anyone wondering I have a full line of tools and power equipment. Just throwing it out there but I have in my shop:

Delta 12" thickness planer
Delta Jointer planer
Delta shaper (For door making)
Delta bechtop bandsaw
Ryobi benchtop sander (Burned my Delta up bad. Replaced)
Delta Jigsaw
Craftsman 10" table saw
HF 42" Lathe (God I love working on this)
Delta 6" benchtop grinder (For sharpening everything)

And so many misc power and hand tools it boggles my mind. I have bits for EVERYTHING. Dozens of Forstners bits, even expanded sizes, shaper bits, router bits, concrete bits, ect. I have dado blade sets for my table saw, masonry blades and more. For those who are knowledgeable enough to recognize that I have an original set of Stanley auger bit set. Very nice.

I could go on but I don't wanna.

I have a mix of current cheap stuff and great old stuff.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11907
I just picked up an 800 watt generator, 2 cycle engine powered for $89 !!! Can't beat that. Weighs ~45 lbs, perfect to haul into the u-pull-it yard on my wagon to run power tools in there

Gold Member

Post Number: 3498
It seems like most of their hand tools are pretty decent for the money. I dont know about their power tools,I never really looked at any of them. Except I was looking at their sawzalls for a second and the one I picked up didnt seem bad at all. But back to the hand tools,the Pittsburgh company ones seem very very nice,more so than just their no name brand hand tools. Like this set of pliers,I really like the rubber grips and for $6.99 for a set of 3? Come on you simply can not beat that!

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 205
So have any of you harbor freight enthusiasts ever invested in the AC Clamp they sell http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-clamp-on-multimeter-95652.html

Gonna be doing "the big 3" in my buddies car tomorrow and I figured it would be a good time to bench a few amps. Problem is I don't have access to a clamp... Ideally i'd want the Fluke 337 but that thing runs over $300... Just wondering if this $20 clamp at harbor freight is even worth the 20 minute drive ill have to make to go buy it.

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 1382
lol those are junk twiz i tried those and two of them fell apart and most of the time they wont grip the bolt right

Gold Member

Post Number: 3501
Really? Damn I picked up some of the Pittsburgh brand hand tools at HF and they felt pretty sturdy and tough. I still would like to try some and I would like to try some of their power tools. I could use a sawzall and a new cordless drill.

Silver Member

Post Number: 206
Just thought I would mention, today only (July 4) at Harbor Freight you can get 25% off any single item by using the coupon code "57886509". They don't have those clamps in stock locally so no benching for me

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11909
That clamp meter wouldn't be much good for car electrical as it doesn't read DC amps.... AC only.... that will be true for all the cheap clamp meters that lack a hall effect sensor.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5991
Don't worry Twiz... Julian used them to break into houses and that's pretty tough on them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 207
well i didn't plan on doing any efficiency tests or anything like that, just simple output @ 50-60Hz which should be fine for the AC clamp, I'm just a bit concerned on its accuracy considering its price.

Gold Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1230
For electrical soldering....is there a certain type of flux i should be using?

Silver Member

Post Number: 210
Rosin flux is typical for electrical but a lot of times solder had rosin already in it. Check your solder, you may not need flux.

Gold Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1232
My solder does have rosin in it. That means i dont need flux then? Ive tried it a couple types using the flux and someting just doesnt seem right with it. I'll try it tomorrow without the flux and see how she goes...

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5554
Haha that is really overboard for soldering 0 gauge wire in that vid. I guess it's equivalent to using one of those "hammer-type" crimp tools which I prefer when working with 0 gauge.

For solder, Kester makes the best stuff: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&biw=1680&bih=911&q=kester+solder+sn 63pb37&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5712472438266877437&sa=X&ei=Ai8WTqmjI4X0swO1jZ XCDQ&ved=0CG8Q8wIwAw

But that might be a bit pricey for what you want.

Might as well try without the flux like you said and see how that goes.

Gold Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1238
Yea i just used one of those little Bernzomatic butane torches and it heats it up quite well.

Tried it without solder today and it seemed alittle better but still doesnt seem right. Im no expert at it so maybe its just something stupid im doin...idk.

Silver Member

Post Number: 218
Lol it may be overkill, but it gets the job done for sure.

This weekend my friend and I did big 3 in his car but had nothing to make a nice crimp on 4-awg. Solution? Beefy Bernzomatic torch and solder. I had never done this before, I didn't realize from the video that the solder actually will sink into the wire and grab each and every strand. I will probably never crimp anything 4-awg or larger again after seeing how well this worked (and how easy it was).

Then again I don't have any crimping tools made for such large wire, if I did maybe I wouldn't be so amazed by the solder technique.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24913
It's a toss up really. Some prefer crimping and others soldering. With big wire I say crimp it. Smaller chit is your call.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 14290
I prefer to solder, mainly because crimping doesn't connect as well, and on occasion, the connector gets pulled off the end of the wire, but then I have the gear for soldering, so that makes it an easier decision.
With large gauge wire in particular, you're typically moving large amounts of current, so you want the best conductivity and reliability you can achieve within reason.

Silver Member

Post Number: 219
O_o

Welcome back glasswolf.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14294
hey. I pop in when I get time.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums