New bat-tree

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3140
I needs some juice! Nothing too huge or powerfull just something that will do better than my Duralast "redtop". At the moment I will be running between 7-800ish from my sub amp and 100-125ish x 2 from my comp amp. But come tax time I will be running around 1200wrms for sub. So what are some brands and/or models I should be looking at? Kinetik? Optima? XS? I dont really know much about bat-trees. Help a brotha out!

FYI I will be getting a HO alt probably this secks-e one from DB

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-4880-s10-sonoma-high-output-powder-alternator-01-0 2-03-04.aspx

Suggestions for a new alt too if the one I linked isnt good enough or whatever.

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2335
yo twiz

i have a few small batts - you can probably fit 2 in your tray and one in the back

http://mechman.com/store/product_info.php/cPath/1/products_id/35?osCsid=173a24df 9141e1505dff17dfe6941e32

resting voltage

12.25 volts
12.03 volts
11.21 volts

$150 plus shipping for all 3

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2336
whoops - bad link

these are the batts

http://mechman.com/store/product_info.php/cPath/1/products_id/35

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3143
I dont really have any interest in running 3 batts Daniel lol. That just isnt my "style" lol. I like simplicity.1 batt,1 sub,1 sub amp,1 set of comps,1 amp for comps. I like to keep it as simple as possible. Those batts are freakin tiny tho huh?

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2337
i hear you - yes theyre very small batts

quite heavy for their size though

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1516
http://www.amazon.com/Shuriken-SK-BT60-60ah-Battery/dp/B0024ODKC0

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 556
How much for one?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13980
get a decent deep cycle battery, and put it in the trunk. connect the amplifiers directly to the second battery for both pos and neg terminals, and connect the 2nd battery to the alternator via a battery isolator rated for greater than or equal to the peak output of the alternator.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11488
Odyssey... Or sears diehard platinum, a rebranded odyssey

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3148
Ok let me be clear about this....again. I DO NOT want to run more than 1 (ONE) uno,singular,single battery.

I ONLY want to run 1 (ONE) battery under the hood and thats it. So the ONE battery will start my truck and run my stereo.

I will check those out MS. I had know idea that those Diehard batterys were really Odysseys. Is it just the platinum series that are Odysseys or all Sears Diehards?

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2546
Link didn't work, was it this? It looks pretty.

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-4880-s10-sonoma-high-output-powder-alternator-01-0 2-03-04.aspx

Personally if you have the 4.3 I'd go for a large case. I'd take a factory large case ad244 over a high output cs130 from pretty much anywhere. There just isn't good idling output with that case. I've swapped an expensive 200 out for a 10 year old factory Tahoe alternator and had better idling output on a 4.3 Jimmie.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2547
For battery I'd use Odyssey, shuriken, or XS Power. I love my XS Power batts. They're a tad expensive but work great for me.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16751
i like the XS D3100 , i own 3 of them - great battery ...

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3149
Troy I was on the S10forum and there is a sticky thread over there about the AD244. Supposedly it fits in an S10 but you just dont use the third mounting hole and you have to get a slightly larger belt. I went to the junk yard to try and get one but when I got there I couldnt remember what years and vehicles it came stock on. I thought there would be model numbers on the alts but of course there wasnt. My local pull-n-save has alts for 30 bucks too! Troy, could you please list some vehicles and the years that that alt came in? Or link me to some on ebay or somethin? Ive heard the AD244 does 100+ amps at idle and they made 130 and 145 amp models. I would rather have the AD244 anyways b/c it is way cheaper.

As for a battery,what would be my cheapest but best option?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13984
I wouldn't use a deep cycle battery as your starter battery. It's not what they're made for, and the charging and discharge curves for a deep cycle are not at all suited to working as a starter battery.

Your battery, regardless of the one you choose, is not going to replace the need for that high output alternator. Get the alternator sooner rather than later. You're drawing a substantial amount of current on a mostly stock electrical system.

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3151
Yea I should probably get an alt first. But I still want to upgrade my battery too.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2548
If you wanted to pull an alt from a 'yard I would look for a late 90's tahoe, suburban, Yukon, Yukon XL, Silverado, or other work truck. The better alternator (stock 140/150a) is on the GM conversion vans (some) also vans set up with lift for wheel chairs, and a pretty much sure bet would be the 03-04 suburban.

I called my local used car parts yard and they wanted 90 dollars for a used 03 suburban alt- what a rip off! I wouldn't pay more than 50 bucks for a used alt. It may be cheaper at 75 bucks or so if you haggle with them, but if the car has 200k miles and even an 03 is 7-8 years old, you've got a ton of wear and may end up buying another or repairing soon.

If you or anyone else is interested in brand new 'beefy' factory alts that do 100-110 idle and 170-180 peak I've got them for $150, with 2 year warranty.

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1519
i would just buy from troy.

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3154
How many watts would the 100-110 at idle be good for?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13989
that would depend on how much of that current will be used by other devices, like air conditioning, power windows and locks, ignition system, etc.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15648
only the platnium series is an odessey

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11490
^^^ this

If you go with the diehard which is what I would do, it MUST be the platinum, those other are just regular car batteries.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2555
Figure 40-60 amps for the car, so around 50 left over for the system. The average 1000 watt amp will only need 50 amps on music, and while the voltage will fluctuate the pauses in bass will allow the alt to catch back up so to speak. Anything over that I'd add a batt or larger alternator.

Silver Member
Username: Canaanwhite

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 129
buy batcap ...they are the best

Silver Member
Username: Nevertoomuchbass

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 156
^^^cant believe you even mentioned a batcap.

batcaps/capcells, and anything like that does nothing but suck power.

sears diehard platinums are great batteries though. I have 2 in my trunk with a stock alt and they do great with a 3000 watt amp. reasonable prices too.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15754
sears diehard platinums = odessey batteries

Silver Member

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 157
sears is quite a bit cheaper though. but then again, im pretty sure yellowtops are even cheaper than the diehard platinums

Silver Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 377
i just picked one up myself. $189.00, and they waved the core charge. so that wasn't bad.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15765
did you get the platnium from sears for 189

Silver Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 379
^yeah, 34/78DT P4. seems to be a pretty good battery so far, resting voltage is just under 13 volts.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15772
good choice

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15790
I have 3 new kinetik 1800's and one used one im trying to decide what to do with

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 215
You can get some Marine Batteries at Wal-Mart for under $100 they are really nice for car audio systems and hold a good reserve...plus they are designed to take discharge and recharge to full capacity unlike conventional car batteries.....

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15834
sears platniums are better batteries

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 248
Wal Mart gives better warranties and their batteries rate up as some of the best automotive batteries made

Silver Member

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 198
ive been looking for a cheap battery i could use till the summer when ill have the money to buy a kinetik or XS. wally world doesnt have them on their website though.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15949
walmart batteries dont even come close to the rebadged odyesseys that sears has in the platnium batteries

Silver Member

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 206
ohh okay. my diehards have been on their last leg for a week or so now so i need to upgrade soon. optima yellowtops are cheaper than diehard platinums though so what about that?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15962
yellow tops are inferior to them

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 614
You said it, cheaper. I say go with the Sears, I have one.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15964
i promise you wont be sorry if you buy one from sears

Silver Member

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 210
haha yeah i know man i used to have 2 in my trunk up till the other day. would i be sorry if i went with anything cheaper? or is sears overall the best value for sure

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15968
sears overall the best value for sure

this

Silver Member

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 212
alrighty well once i get some bank looks like ill be makin a trip out to sears for another couple diehard platinums

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15970
good choice

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 258
I'll stick with Wal-Mart batteries
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums