Critical mass ul 12??

Bronze Member
Username: Ultimatebass

St paul, Mn U.S.

Post Number: 12
Hi I haven't posted in awhile (just got back from the Service) and I have a question that you all might help me figure out? My buddy nick has a sub that he wants to sell Its a Critical mass ul 12?? never even heard of it?! He says its works fantastic just needs money for the new baby boy.. Askin price is $390. The sub looks cool but for a "5000" watt woofer it feels kinda lite.. my orion hcca is much heavier.. so my question is should I get it?

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1476
put a real 5k rms to it on music and see if it blows after 3 min, if not sure lol. sorry i cant give you a better answer then that.

Silver Member
Username: Perfectcircle

Naptown, Indy

Post Number: 186
I've never heard one, but they are supposed to be one the best sounding subs you can find. there are a few reviews of them on the web. supposed to be a fantatic sub though.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16726
its been around a few yrs going , was 1 of the few companies to use neodymium magnets which r strong but light weight & a bit pricey too so thats probably why u never heard of it or see many ppl using it so as to give u a review or opinion ...

Silver Member

Naptown, Indy

Post Number: 188
There was one being sold on caco for around 5 to 550 if i remember correctly. i know they were over a grand new. so the price seems reasonable. car audio and electronics said it was the best sub they've ever tested. but they also said the si mag was just mediocre. so don't know how much water their reviews hold.

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

NC Http://com4....

Post Number: 958
i would definetly buy it for 390

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11462
I have always wanted one of those to play with. Ppl who've used them give them really great reviews.

And rovin is correct, neo magnet... gives the sub the "power" of a large heavy magnet in a small and light design.

Bronze Member

St paul, Mn U.S.

Post Number: 13
Wow I had no idea.. yes I researched a little and was surprised at how expensive they are.. I will purchase it just because its rare and supposedly from what I read and everyone says its pretty good..

I'm sure it sounds a lot cleaner than my hcca... but i don't have the necessary electrical upgrades to put 5krms to her

Silver Member

Naptown, Indy

Post Number: 189
I would assume you wouldn't have to put near that much power to it. 1 to 2k clean power should be plenty imo. from the specs i've seen, it's a really efficient sub.

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2328
yes theyre supposed to be great. i have also wanted one for some time..............but i have no monies

Bronze Member

St paul, Mn U.S.

Post Number: 14
in that case my sundown saz 1500 will be just fine.. ok everybody im gonna get it and do a test and give a review of how that goes.. thanx for everyones opinions and advice

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11463
That 5000w is MAX... actual power handling is 2500w RMS. But yea your sundown 1500 should be fine. Good deal picking that up.

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Post Number: 143
this thread makes me chuckle people talkin about neo mags lol. anyway that sub is a beast, good sq if in the right box but will do wonders spl wise if you design the box for that. very exspensive though 390 is a steal compared to what it goes for on forums or brand new. an fyi neo mags have been around for YEARS shocker made their neo sig back in 04 i think was setting WR with it. DD makes a lot of their subs using neo motors also.

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2329
why are neo mags funny?

we all know that many companies use neo...........

Silver Member

Post Number: 144
poeple trying to talk about neo mags but obvisouly dont know anything.

"was 1 of the few companies to use neodymium magnets which r strong but light weight & a bit pricey too so thats probably why u never heard of it" fyi alot of companies use neos.

"And rovin is correct, neo magnet... gives the sub the "power" of a large heavy magnet in a small and light design" the power huh didn't know subs created power thought that was amp i mus b reterted heheh

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11465
Nothings wrong with rovins comment. He was saying the OP prob never heard of the sub b/c of it's high price. And when those subs came out neo magnets were not so common as they are now.

As for my comment notice the quotes meaing the word power is not to taken literally.

It seems you may in fact be retarded, I guess u are right about something...

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15537
get the sub

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16730
why so fussy dustin - maybe we cud have worded it better but i know u know what MS & i meant ...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15543
break it up break it up lol

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16732
ok im gonna watch some tv now ....

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15547
what cha watchin

Bronze Member

St paul, Mn U.S.

Post Number: 15
You guys are kinda funny.. Yes I believe I never heard of this sub because like M.S. said I don't shop for subs in the $1,000+ range, too rich for my blood lol..

But I really appreciate everyones advice. I allready grabbed this sub from my buddy nick.. I can't find a ton of info on box design so If you guys got any suggestions such as CU.FT and ported vs sealed etc, would be much appreciated.
For history I've run JLw7( I know I know but got it for $275 so yeah) Type R's , Fi Q's and orion hcca's.. I have found out I like ported enclosures tuned 32hz and below, seems to give more output ported and decent SQ when tuned correctly( to me anyway).

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11471
You've had some good systems before then. I'm interested to know what you think of this sub compared to the JL and the Qs.

Bronze Member

St paul, Mn U.S.

Post Number: 19
^^^ I will do a comparison review between my soon to be system and all my past systems..I'm hoping its cleaner than HCCA but not as loud because that thing off 1500rms is crazy... I do miss my Q's tho!

Silver Member

Post Number: 145
lol but ya ms im retarded lol. also neo mags or mags in genrall really have little control on how much "power" a sub can take thats more suspension/coil smart one. i could take a cvr motor put badazz coil/suspension on it and give it 2k rms but itd be pointless. i know i come off cocky but seriously when people make dumb posts that arent even close to the fact i say i have the right to get cocky.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11479
You are the one making the dumb posts. When did say neo magnets affect the subs power handling? Oh thats right i didn't.... that is determined by the coil and the cooling it has.

You are taking "power" literally when it was clearly not meant to be.
" And rovin is correct, neo magnet... gives the sub the strength of a large heavy magnet in a small and light design. "
That better? "Strength" is what i wanted to say from the start but couldn't think of the word.

Silver Member

Post Number: 148
aight lol no sense in argueing bout dumb stuff. i think the word your lloking for though is BL in which thats the neos main advantage over ceramic. gives the sub more motor force without weighing 100lbs. i remember seeing on caco some guy used a neo sig motor with some custom coil and was getting a bl rateing over 200 or somethin crazy. The ul12 is a badass sub hands down, if you got it for 390 you got one hell of a deal.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11481
Agreed.

Bronze Member

St paul, Mn U.S.

Post Number: 21
I'm starting to think I got a awesome deal cuz one of my friends friends just offered me 700 bucks for it! I might let it go and try a couple SSA xcon 12's..I've always wanted a couple of those....

Bronze Member

St paul, Mn U.S.

Post Number: 22
Thanks everyone I appreciate all your guys help in my decision to purchase this super bad A woofer!

Bronze Member
Username: Canaanwhite

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 21
Pics of install
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us