New car audio set up

Silver Member
Username: Bigben

Post Number: 110
It been awhile since i have had a car audio system and i miss my ears rattling and the bass hitting my chest. So can you guys suggest a good system for around 500-600 bucks? I dont want to spend much more than that. I have an 03 jeep grand cherokee and its all stock. so i want to keep the output at around 1200 rms. Also i have always liked the set up of having 2 15's....especially having an SUV so can you guys try to suggest that kind of set up? I am also open to other ideas as well but prefer the 2 15's. thank you guys

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 14105
with 2 15" subs, a limit of 1200WRMS isn't going to leave you any room to power your front stage, and if desired, rear speakers. The subs will need all of that.

Silver Member
Username: Bigben

Post Number: 111
good point...what is the max i should go to on a stock electrical system?

Bronze Member
Username: Canaanwhite

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 79
If you want some quality 15's get a set of Critical Mass SS152 they can't be beat for the money.....

Silver Member
Username: Perfectcircle

Naptown, Indy

Post Number: 217
There are diamond audio d3 and d6 15's refurbs on ebay for a really decent price. the d3's can be had for 109 shipped and the d6's for around 160 170. they are great sounding subs for that price. especially the d6's. Used to have a d6 10 few years ago in my old porsche boxster. very nice sub.

Bronze Member
Username: Canaanwhite

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 83
theres a reason those diamonds are refurbed because they were crap the first time and guess what they are gonna be crap the 2nd time.....

Silver Member

Naptown, Indy

Post Number: 220
Even for a troll thats funny.

Silver Member

Naptown, Indy

Post Number: 222
I own more subs at this moment then you've heard. if you think i'm blowing smoke. search my started threads. particularly the "picked these up today" thread shows part of my collection as you scroll down. enjoy

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14108
50 watts RMS x 4 is good for the door speakers.
for two 15" subs, you'll need at least 500-600 watts RMS each.
How much you can get away with on the stock electrical system has too many variables to guess.
Listenign habits, types of music, amplifier topography, amount of reserve current the alternator can produce over what the particular car will require, what size that stock alternator actually is.. things like that.

Gold Member
Username: Theweasel

2 12 FI SSD, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 1260
I used to run 1600 rms on a 130 amp stock alternator and i had minimal dimming and measured voltage drop. I think unless you drive around listening to those songs that are just straight bass for 4 minutes at absolute max volume you can get away with it.

Always better I think to have the components you want in place and if needed upgrade the electrical later. No point in getting smaller stuff, then having to sell it to get the stuff you want and a new electrical system.

As for subs, look into these
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-469

good quality woofer for the price. that leaves about 200-300 for amp and wiring. im not too familiar with good amp brands for cheap besides audioque and maybe kicker(although not that cheap.)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14131
The dayton reference sub is OK, but it's specs aren't that impressive to be honest.. not for car audio anyway. I looked at those subs for use in a home theater, and just wasn't that impressed.. However, if he is set on 15" subs, and neds them cheap, those will do a good job.

An Audioque aq1200d is $249 shipped, and will deliver 1200WRMS @ 1 ohm. It'll do the job.

I agree that if it isn't broken, don't fix it, but he should be aware that looking at 2Kw of power, it is possible he may need to do some electrical upgrades, at least eventually.. and that doesn't mean just buying a capacitor as a magical fix-all.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us