Port volume VS. Box volume

Username: Makinblak

Post Number: 1
I am building a box for my 2 kicker l7 12s. I want to tune for 34 HTZ. I'm shooting for 3 cubic feet per sub after subtracting displacement, bracing, port volume, and wood thickness (3/4"). The box will be devided with my rectangular ports exiting from the middle of the box on either side of the ports. The ports and subs both fire forwards. On the bottom outside of the box, there are small notches neccessary to fit in my truck. I use the site http://www.reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html
to calculate my port size, but i can not put in complex dimensions such as the cutouts on the bottom of the box (I put the ports on the inside so as not to run through the weird shaped cutouts on the outside). My question is: Is there a box size-to port size ratio in dealing with port design? How do I factor in those cutouts while trying to tune correctly to 34 HTZ?? Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Post Number: 2
Really? No one can add some insight to this subject?

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15637
Is there a box size-to port size ratio in dealing with port design?

yes typically .16 of port area per cubic foot of usable box space

How do I factor in those cutouts while trying to tune correctly to 34 HTZ

Take the measurements of the stuff that takes up space inside the box and break it down to length width and height and youll get cubic inches and divide that by 1728 cubic inches which is a cubic foot and youll find out how much space that area you measured takes up out of a cubic foot. Then just write the amounts down until you get it all worked out and subtract the total number off of your gross box volume (the gross meaning how much space is there without anything inside) to get gross just measure the internal length width and height of the box

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16747
kicker usually gives pretty good factory box specs so check their website ...

Post Number: 3
yes typically .16 of port area per cubic foot of usable box space -------

Is .16 cubes per cubic foot of net volume a standard guide or is that the specific ratio for 34 HTZ ?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13979
http://www.bcae1.com/
the page on basic enclosure calculations has the data you require.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us