Steer me in the right direction please

Username: Flaox

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
i have been reading some threads about subs here and u guys aren't big fans of kicker and you say audiobahn sucks,

the loudest sub i ever heard was one 10" kicker l5 or l7 , u could hear the bass from 1/2 mile away and standing next to the truck your clothing would move and it was hard to breath, inside was intense i thought my heart was going to stop.

the other was an audiobahn 12" that hit so hard the windshield shattered not sure on the box for that one.... im not sure what sub it was im thinking it was an immortal

so im looking at buyin 2 kicker l5 ( 12" ) or maybe just one, i want bass and lots of it like heart stopping bass

can you guys steer me in the right direction , maybe for somthing even better and louder than the kickers ? ill spend what ever i need too , im looking at either 2 10s , 1 or 2 12s maybe even a single 15
good cheap or loud, i hear you can only have 2

thanks guys

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 23577
Well since you say you'll spend whatever you need to then why not eliminate the kickers? They do indeed get loud but in an untamed way. Many hate the square design for simply the mechanical aspects of the surround and it's limited lifespan, especially under extreme conditions. If it were me I would always choose the single sub setup for more than one reason. Put the combined cone are aside for a minute and consider what a good/great single can accomplish over two mediocre ones. Also consider what you're after. If all you want is loud noise then the Kicker will do but I personally wouldn't invest in it.

Fi has a great hard hitting line and if you want more fine tuned bassology then you can look into SS or even into finding a used Mag or and LMS. Far greater strain on the wallet but also far greater on the final product.

And simply stay away from Audioblah.

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2
what do you mean "loud but in an untamed way"

yes the kicker will make lots of noise im after bass im not quite sure how a sub can sound like crap, the whole idea of the sub is for bass is it not ? a square sub has more cone surface than a round sub , there for would move more air, bass = air movement , the more air you move the louder it will be ?

correct me if im wrong but a sub is for lows , lows = bass , mids and highs are taken care of by component speakers and tweeters

i know i have lots to learn, but the thing is i want to learn

tell me where im goin wrong here

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2508
The L7 often does not sounds as good as many round subs in the same price range. While it has a cone area advantage that isn't everything- many other factors can change the output of a subwoofer.

I've worked with Kicker subs before and in my opinion there's better for the money. Moving air and sounding good are different, a sub can get loud but be inaccurate and lacking in certain areas.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8294
Ok....I just want to clear up some misconceptions you have.

A) "The loudest sub you ever heard was a 10" L7"
.....You don't realize how loud a LOUD system can be. Likely that system was one of the first systems you ever heard and it made an impression on you. You might 'think' it was loud and your mind may be scared by how 'sick' is was, but simply put in the real world of 12v Audio...it was just on the level of a common daily system.

Think about it like this...
Remember how scary Chucky in ChildsPlay used to be when you where 8yrs old??? Yea...now compare that to what you know now.

B) A 12" Audiobahn Immortal sub shattered the windshield.

....Not unless the owner threw the sub at the windshield. That windshield shattering w/ 1-12 'dat beats' its just BS. I see every other guy that steps in the shop boasting about 'his boy' that blew out a windshield w/ his 2 soloz. Then I walk them out to my Avalanche and play them a little song at 150dB, they can't even sit in it and can't believe my truck is not blowing up....they say 'ur beatz is louder than his was'.

So, it seams to me that you are pretty much brainwashed on highly marketed brands. They hype the products and the public bites...usually on 'dem soloz and dem mojos'.

Take a step back from what your friends have told you about audio. Read and learn.

Now, a question.
What vehicle do you have?
What is your budget?

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1445
some sundown night shades, or the Z's, AA's, DD, the LMS, FI BTL's, PSI, uhmmm *tags next person in.*

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15473
x3

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 530
I have a 12" RE SE for sale. It's rated at 600 watts RMS, but will take more. Could be a nice little starter sub for you. As far as what everyone has said, they might be opinions, but most are based on experience. If it weren't for the guys on here I'd probably be running JL Audio. JL is not bad, but way overpriced. So, if I had run JL for what I spent I would probably be running like 500 watts or so and I am going to be running 2000+. To sum things up, the guys (and/or gals) on here wull steer you in the right directions, you just have to be open minded. Ok, back to you death <tag>

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23578
Lol I remember a chap who stated his subs shattered the backboard of a basketball hoop. THAT was a funny thread lol.

First one who finds it gets a free knife off my web store.

Gold Member
Username: 420pimp2

Baltimore Atlantic Ci..., MD, NJ

Post Number: 1033
Couldnt read the rest of your post cause I laughed so hard from your bs I was like is this fu.ckin guy 4 real. I just have to quote that bs one more time.

"the other was an audiobahn 12" that hit so hard the windshield shattered not sure on the box for that one.... im not sure what sub it was im thinking it was an immortal"

Your a jackazz.

Hang around and learn up.
Welcome to ecoustics heres your hard knocks!

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 829
We can deffinatly find you something better.
Budget?

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11435
Another canaan post full of win.... Seriously just read his post and nothing else it's right on.

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3
ok, i like it , you guys can truthfully back up what you have to say. canaan nice post it made me step back and think that i am brainwashed .

the vehicle: 1997 gmc k2500 reg.cab , my current subs are 2 10"s and they are between the seats as a center console
budget: no more than 3 grand

i dont want a sub(s) that i have to run 2 2500watt amps to make it half azz loud

thanks guys

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8297
Reg. cab chevy you say?

My next questions....

How tall are you?
How many notches on the seat are you willing to give up to make room for subs?

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4
im 6'3 cant give up much room behind

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 5
what do u think of these ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-RE-AUDIO-MX12D1-MX-12-3000w-CAR-SUBWOOFER-MX12-D1-/35040 0967039?pt=Car_Subwoofers_Enclosures&hash=item519586717f

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORION-HCCA-122-12-DUAL-2-OHM-SUBWOOFER-4000-WATTS-MAX-/36030 7022153?pt=Car_Subwoofers_Enclosures&hash=item53e3f8d949

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-POWER-ACOUSTIK-MOFO-122X-12-2700W-SUBWOOFER-SUB-/3901830 50540?pt=Car_Subwoofers_Enclosures&hash=item5ad8b8dd2c#ht_3503wt_1139

used flea bay just cause it was fastest with the most selection

thanks alot guys

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1228
I'd say look into a Fi BTL or Digital Designs.

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1250
paul, was that really a thread on here?
i only remember the review on OCS

10th review from the top
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductReview.aspx?ProductID=15334

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11438
RE audio is good stuff

Orion used to be, newer stuff is not so great

Power crapcoustic = no

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 535
Some of the highlights:
"i got 3 of the muthas in my pimpin 69' mustang and i pulled up to my firends house and completely shattered his basketball goal. a week later i was driving and got pulled over for public disturbance. when i passed the cop before he pulled my over, i shattered his front windshield."

"i have two of these bad boys in my 95 del sol...and these baddies are crazy loud....when i turned them all the way up i blew off my passanger door."

"i have to get my windows reinforced twice cause i broke them already once"

"i have 2 of these in my 05 staurn ion and there runnning on 2 MTX Class A/B amps and boy do they HIT! Within a week i blew my rear windshield out and i had to replace it with a 2 inch thick glass to keep it from blowing"

"3 of these for my scion inside of my garage..when i turned the system up to test the subs...my GARAGEDOOR EXPLODED INTO THOUSANDS OF PIECES"

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1452
oh wow, people are stupid.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 536
Yes, people are stupid. As a matter of fact, my ex and I used to warn each other about going out on certain days. We used to say, "it's stupid people driving day."

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1453
you mean when they are mowing the highway or rain, or theres a cloud in the sky.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13891
Saying that a Kicker L5 and an Audioblah 12" are the loudest subs you've ever heard, is much akin to saying that "my friend's new mustang is the fastest car I've ever seen." It simply means you haven't had any exposure to a good system, or good gear with a proper install (or in the case of the Mustang, a car that actually *is* fast.)

Being able to hear a car from a mile away simply means that the car isn't sound deadened as as a result is highly inefficient. Sound is energy, and that energy is coming from the amplifiers and speakers in the car. The more of that energy you keep INSIDE the car's cabin, the louder the system is for the person for whom it really maters.. the owner. The more you her outside, the less you hear it inside the car. This is why a system that's really set up correctly can be deafening inside the car, but outside you won't hear much. Poorly set up boom cars are just set up to annoy everybody else in the vicinity. Keep this in mind when judging the worth of an audio system.

That being said, you can get very good subs from companies like RE, DD, Fi, and even Alpine that are much better than AB or Kicker Solobarics.

Audiobahn is a cheap mass produced chinese-made speaker that caters to people more excited by chrome and bling and fiery cut-outs than in actual accuracy or sound quality and performance. Their speakers are highly inefficient and built to typical low-cost Chinese standards. Kicker is a good company, but the square subs are a nightmare. They are loud, I'll grant you, but they have serious issues with tinsel lead slap and separation, surround separation, cone distortion/flex due to being square and thus causing unever pressure around the surface of teh cone area during high excursion. They also limit excursion through their design, to get nore surface area via shape. Non-round subs are just generally a bad idea. Same goes for any speaker really, but the effects of these shortocmings are much moe obvious with the higher power handling and excursion witnessed with a subwoofer.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13893
Oh, and on the topic of a broken windshield, no. just no. That isn't going to happen. What might happen is the subs will loosen the putty that holds the glass in place, or pop the glass out of the weather stripping, at which point the glass will fall on the ground and break, but the sound pressure itself will not shatter safety glass. sorry. At least, I should clarify, it isn't going to happen in a daily driver. It might in a pro level world class SPL vehicle that still had all factory glass in place. maaaaaaaybe.

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1251
ok glass, mister know it all.
what about that guy whose garage door exploded into a thousand pieces?

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1456
he had a really bad termite problem.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 538

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 6
i like the RE , anyone have any really bad experience's with RE ?

are the RE xxx top of the line or is the mx there better sub?

i think im going to go with just one really nice 12" in between my front seats pointing straight up ? will it matter which way the cone points ?

sealed or ported box ? i dont know yet

im open to suggestions...

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1231
This thread is a good one

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13896
The guy in his garage had Audiobahns. His door exploded because I was in his driveway, with an RPG.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16725
i bet those "stupid reviews" are just kids being smart@sses ...

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23587
I still wanna see that thread with the backboards lol.

I've seen Steve Meade's sh1t move store front windows and THAT is hard core. To break a backboard is .................................................

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13897
when I did that box with two Orion XTR 12" subs in 4th order on an Orion 280GX back in 92 in the Integra, we popped the back window out of the weather seal, but I don't consider that "breaking" it. Granted, that was low power on old tech.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us