Strictly SQ subwoofers

Silver Member
Username: Allthingsfresh

Post Number: 109
Looking to get a few SQ subs. Probably 2 10's,maybe even a pair of 12's that handle about 1000 rms each, give or take. But i want to hook a friend up with some great sound quality subs that aren't TOO TOO loud. I was looking into the FI Q's, FI X's, IDQ's, IDMAX's. No jl audio w6's though. Anything other suggestions? Will be going into a sealed box by the way.

Silver Member
Username: Perfectcircle

Naptown, Indy

Post Number: 192
Probably won't be popular, but the incriminator audio flatlyne is a fantastic underhung sq sub. little pricey. i was really impressed with it.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13921
Any of the subs you're considering will work fine. If you don't want them too loud, I'd suggest going with a single sub instead of a pair, and going with a sealed enclosure of small to moderate volume (size) with an appropriately powered amplifier, maybe in the 350-500 watt RMS range at teh given load. The amp and enclosure choices will matter as much as picking a decent speaker.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16735
do u have the amp already or ur going to be buying everything ?

2 10s sealed off 1k each will sound shweeet ! ...

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 11964
I agree with GW. If you're truly worried about SQ first and foremost, then I would too recommend going sealed with a single sub. If you are dead set on that power range then I would also recommend to look for a Sound Splinter RL-s and give it 1-1.5k rms in a good sized sealed box. But again, as Wolf said, the amp and enclosure are going to be key factors in this for you as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
Yea sealed forsure.. Maybe 1000rms - 1200 shoukld be fine. My car is loud, and i told him about all these subs like FI, SSA, AA, etc for way better prices and if not better quality than the things he knows about. I think he has 2 10" Ples subs and a pyle "chopper" series amp. Its hilarious because he thinks his amp is soo great because its a chopper series for whatever reasons. lol he says it only gets somewhat loud when he bridges the amp. and it overheats alot. But anyways so he doesn't need a very loud system but decently loud but i just want to get him some great sound quality subs because off of 1000 rms and 10's, i know they will be fine enough. The FI X is geared more to SQ than the Q right?

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
Hmmm maybe even just a single 12" Q sealed. It sucks because i haven't heard any of these subs. Nobody i know of has really never even heard of these brands at all. I've only seen 1 12" havoc and recently a fulled loaded 18 BTL on craigslist and that's it. Oh and 2 12" RE XXX that i really wanted to buy haha off topic... but i live in the SF bay area and idkk how to get a demo of some FI's and such.

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Post Number: 146
xbl^2 ftw love the sound of all subs using that motor. Id look into AA avalanche or older xxx's. out of the subs you listed id probally take the id max if money isn't an issue. or what about one bigger sub to take 1500-2000wrms? maybe tc lms5400? that would be f-n sweet. or some DD 9100z's. so many choices.

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
Ohh yea what DD subs are good for sound quality?

Bronze Member
Username: Ultimatebass

St paul, Mn U.S.

Post Number: 23
I've had the fi Q's and from my other systems(besides the recently purchased critical mass ul 12) I would say they have damn good SQ but mine were in ported boxes tuned @28hz so sealed i would imagine might be slightly better in the SQ department..correct me if I'm wrong

Bronze Member

St paul, Mn U.S.

Post Number: 24
but if you have the cash flow I'm sure you could get better

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
what size Q's did you have? This guy has a very good condition aa havoc in a ported box tuned to 30hz and 2.5 cubes. He wants $200 for the sub and $250 for sub and box should i get it??

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
Oh and its a 12"

Bronze Member

St paul, Mn U.S.

Post Number: 25
^^I had the Q 12's..I always wanted to try a havoc..can't say personally if you should get it because I have no 1st hand exp. with them but on paper they look like a solid sub 2 me.. I'm sure someone who knows more than me will give you some more info.

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
He also had some DD 1508's. for 300 in a ported box. hmmmm

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13926
nobody at your highschool will know Fi, because Fi subs are hand built to order for each customer, and incidentally, if you like XBL^2 motors, the guy who designed the first generation RE XXX, also designs the Fi subs currently. They are outstanding subs. The Q series is built strictly for SQ. I use a Q series sub in my car and I'm presently deciding between a single 12" or single 15" Q to use in a down-firing home theater sub I'm building for my living room, which will be driven by a Dayton 1000 watt RMS plate amp in a sealed enclosure, cross-braced and reinforced, and made with white ash, and veneered in Bubinga. It should come out quite nicely.

Silver Member
Username: Perfectcircle

Naptown, Indy

Post Number: 200
designed the 2nd gen xxx also. scott knows his stuff.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 23650
Lol. Been using an 18" Q for my HT use powered by a Dayton 1000w amp for quite some time. Love the system to death. I have several vids of it too.

I get so sick of those peeps in the home audio section who claim "a car audio sub can't perform as a home audio one".

BS. If a driver can accurately reproduce the notes so be it. It shouldn't matter if it's HT or car audio. I've had a 15" SI mag and currently an 18" Q in my HT and had FANTASTIC results.

Bottom line is you shouldn't have to spend $2000 on a HT sub that accurately shakes the house.

Been saying it for years. A high end sub is just that. You CAN use a car audio sub in a HT application with great results. Many as well as myself have proved that. Yet we get all kinds of negative feedback from home audio guys. Why? Subs move air. In car audio and home audio. As long as its' done accurately what's the difference?

I'm 39 years old. Been listening to music/watching movies for 20+ years. That's my resume.

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1483
they hate on the equipment because they spend a lot on equipment and need to feel advocated about how much money they spent.

Gold Member
Username: Mrskullz1

New York

Post Number: 1856
exactly. It's like someone who saves up to by a Jaguar all his life only to find out that Hyundai costs a third of the price and can whoop @ss.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16737
for really good sq\sql system that doesnt need a bunch of power & electrical upgrades i wud recommend a single ported 12" idmax tuned 28-30hz for the most : the output & smoothness will shock u ...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13931
I figured the Q12 would be plenty with 1Kw of power in a sealed box for a living room that's only 16'x20' anyway. I was a bit torn between using a 12 or 15" Q though. Granted, after tailoring the sub to this project, getting the plate amp, the ash plywood, the veneer, and the odds and ends like floor spikes, I'm still looking at about a grand invested.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16738
id probably go crazy & do a 18" in spite of the living room size ...

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Post Number: 151
scott is awsome knows his sh1t lke no one else. i have an AA atlas and i love it for sq better than a w6 by far in my opinion. even toxic tuan saiys the atlas is the best sq hes ever heard. just love xbl^2 has massive low end but keeps a pretty even bl across the board and a LE of .6 doesn't hurt either lol.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13934
I think I'm going to go with the 15" actually, after shopping around for prices on Bubinga waterfall veneer, and Baltic birch plywood in 3/4" sheets. I figure everything I need to build the sub, all said and done, I'm looking at about $1,100 in parts and materials. A single sealed 15" with 1Kw of power will be plenty, and I don't want to overwhelm the rest of the system. The KEFs are highly sensitive @ 92dB @ 1 watt @ 1 meter, but they still only handle up to 200WRMS each, and I have them on an Adcom amp with 325WRMS/channel. I don't want to damage anything. This is for critical listening for music, and for movies and TV, not to impress people 3 blocks away.

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1251
DC level 3's are also nice SQ woofers. All mentioned are great as well.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13939
yup, I really do believe it's more about proper power, driver positioning, enclosure design, and crossover/slope/equalization settings than about the specific sub itself making or breaking a SQ system. Don't get me wrong, I like gear selection as much as the next guy, but really in the end all the best gear in the world won't help you if the installation and design isn't there.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15572
"nobody at your highschool will know Fi, because Fi subs are hand built to order for each customer, and incidentally, if you like XBL^2 motors, the guy who designed the first generation RE XXX, also designs the Fi subs currently. They are outstanding subs. The Q series is built strictly for SQ. I use a Q series sub in my car and I'm presently deciding between a single 12" or single 15" Q to use in a down-firing home theater sub I'm building for my living room, which will be driven by a Dayton 1000 watt RMS plate amp in a sealed enclosure, cross-braced and reinforced, and made with white ash, and veneered in Bubinga. It should come out quite nicely."

Im building a hometheater sub out of a image dynamics id max 12 sealed with the dayton 1000 watt rack amp.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13947
ah. yeah I saw the rack amp version. I chose to go with the plate amp so I can install a floor plate for signal and power, and have the sub enclosure sit over the plate, so all of the wiring will be hidden. With the downfiring sub, the enclosure will just look like a fancy china cabinet or end table. Nothing obviously visible. I may strip the Brazilian Rosewood veneer off of my KEFs and veneer them to match, in the Waterfall Bubinga as well. It'd be cool to have those, and maybe even my center channel all in the same finish. The only drawback is that the veneer is almost $9 per square foot. That's about 10 sq ft for teh sub box, 24 sq ft for the front speekers, and maybe a couple more for the center. Adds up fast.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23681
Seems to be a popular amp then.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 844
^Nice!!! I was thinking of doin that with my Q,but i dont know where to start. What kind of amp would i need? What should the box be tuned to? Would the tuning be the same in ht as in car audio?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23682
1000w Dayton plate amp, 9.5 cu's @ 28hz on an 18" Q. If I did over I would've tuned lower. Still rocks the house.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 8410
ID MAXESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15606
Yeah baby

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13950
Nice. I'm just going for something more subtle, that doesn't stand out in the room.

Mine is going to look more like this, bur more cubical, instead of "tall."
Upload

with a veneer finish like this
Upload

If I wanted obnoxious, I'd do something like this. hehe
Upload

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23683
That veneer on that tower is positively stunning.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13953
I know, right? I keep staring at the sample image for it, and drooling.
http://oakwoodveneer.com/veneer/bubinga.html
Take a look at the "Pommele" and "Waterfall" cuts. All 3 are fantastic. They have tons of other lovely veneers, too.. but that one really grabbed me.

Silver Member
Username: Denim

SoundSolutionsAudio.com, MD USA

Post Number: 905
Love that rubix cube enclosure.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13959
http://hackedgadgets.com/2007/10/24/huge-rubiks-cube-subwoofer/

http://gizmodo.com/311550/build-your-own-rubiks-cube-subwoofer-in-164-easy-steps

links to the build project of the Rubik's Subwoofer

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15627
Yeah looks pretty sweet glasswolf cant wait to see yours done.

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
I want to start purchasing equipment for a very nice home theatre as well. Most likely an FI Q 15, im guessing would be enough for about a 200sq foot room i think.. I think an 18 would be too much i don't want the neighbors complaining.. But anyways soo what about an ssa dcon or icon.? I know the new icons are 1250rms right? How would an icon compare to a Q in SQ.? And loudness.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us