OT: home theater

Silver Member
Username: Gutteer

Fort atkinson/Marshall, WI

Post Number: 154
listen i dont like the home theater section of this forum i trust you guys more here is what i got
Denon Avr-588 reciver
1 KLH 9900 center speaker 8ohm
2 KLH L625B 8ohm
2 Yamaha NS-A535 8ohm
and 1 Speakercraft BassX-8
im more intrested in car audio right now and was wondering if anything here is of value to sell if so can you let me know this money is going towards 2 AQ SDC2.5 15s and an AQ 1200d thats around 600 with shipping so the most i can get the better also if any of you are intrested in the stuff let me know also the 2 yamahas are very cosmetically beat up but sound great the 2 KLHs have a little cosmetic damage but not much

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1417
the denon is worth ~ 170.

the center is worth ~10-20 from what i can see.

the sub is worth ~150-200.

every thing else i could not find prices for.

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
is that retail?

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1418
thats the prices you could expect to get for them. less if they don't look new any more.

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
ok well everything beautiful except a slight curve in the denon reciver you really cant tell so im not so worried

Gold Member
Username: Mrskullz1

New York

Post Number: 1841
a slight curve in the receiver.....how did it get there? If you mean a dent of some sort, then that really can't be good now can it? Lets hope nothing internally is damaged.

Also, the people in the home audio and home theater section and VERY experienced and always give you good advice. You may not like what they have to say but trust me, they know what they are talking about.

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
by curve i mean you cant even notice it unless your hand is there and its hard to tell even then so im certain i will be fine and all the internals are fine the guy who gave me this stuff takes great care of all his equipment

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13856
yeah I was guessing about $500 for the system together, myself. CraigsList

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8284
OMG.....he's alive!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
i know he dissapeared for awhile and i have it on craigslist for $450 obo

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13859
I've been busy working on my home stereo lately. been off line a lot.
I found another pair of KEF loudspeakers in a thrift store and restored them, then bought a new amp and have been messing with that recently.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1422
we missed you.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13862
awww

These are what I was restoring:
KEF 104/2 slide show

These cost $3600/pair in 1986. I picked them up for $50 and spent about $120 restoring them. Not a bad deal. I love these things.

A bit about them:
Product of the decade award (scroll down)
Official KEF history page

Bronze Member
Username: Wandaddy

Naha, Okinawa Japan

Post Number: 35
Since we are on the topic of home stereo, what do you guys think about PSB? I have an older set of Image 5T's and Image 4B's back in the states that I gave to my dad. I am thinking about buying a new setup for at home, and I really liked the way they sounded. Has anyone heard their new models?

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 23562
Like Skullz mentioned you'll get much more response in the home audio section. Jan will eventually find your post and chime in his $50 worth. There are some very experienced chaps who have collectively 100's of years of HT experience there. I personally don't frequent that area for my own reasons however. We are simply fortunate here to have Glass and Brad who have an abundance of experience from both sides of the fence (HT/car audio). Brad has been vacant recently though.

Post your questions over there and you'll eventually get more of what you're after, just be prepared for some lengthy replies.

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 14937
Glasswolf

You made a beautiful work with those excelent KEF which I was lucky to hear, the link between the 2 back woofer was a great addition to reduce noise to nothing. You will like those speakers!

Also I can see the Adcom is on your link, a USA amp made in Korea.

Is that you have the preamp?

Bronze Member
Username: Wandaddy

Naha, Okinawa Japan

Post Number: 36
Thanks I will try posting in the Home Theater section.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5819
Plymouth, the one he has is most likely a 1990-era model, still made in the USA. I know because I own three of them. Later models were made in Japan. And after that, Taiwan. Adcom never had their own factory, and would contract out all of their components. I remember when Adcom announced that assembly would be outsourced to Japan and there was a huge outcry. This is interesting because in the last 10-15 years, Made in Japan has become very much a badge of quality. By the way, if a particular Adcom model has no indication on the back where it was made... it was made in USA.

But, Adcom has always been known to be in strict control over the electronic components used in their designs, so where they were actually assembled is much less of an issue than products from other companies. Very similar to NAD in that regard. And anyone who is familiar with Adcom and NAD products know that they are several steps above your mainstream gear.

Glass, lol, that was a heck of a deal of there, wow. Sure glad a master such as yourself repaired those things because that mid/high "coupled cavity" module is nothing for a beginner to dig in to, especially with all of the bracing and glue involved. The 104 2's are IMO the best rock and roll speakers ever made -- only equalled by my trusty JBL L150A's and 4430's. The low end output and mid clarity on the 104 2's is something to be witnessed. One thing I have noticed over the years is that the 104 2's are one of those speakers that are brutally honest and accurate, to the extreme that badly produced sources will sound, well, badly produced. There is absolutely zero "pomp and circumstance" to the sound of these speakers -- what you put in is what you get out. As opposed to 90% of the modern speaker systems whose output is tailored to be extra sharp on the top end and extra deep on the low end... with little concern over how those slopes affect the midrange. Glass, another thing that comes to mind... those B200 mid/woofers and also the original crossovers in those things are worth $$$$. It seems that in the last few years, a lot of people are digging theirs out of storage and wanting to get them repaired.

Paul, I have been around. I just haven't seen much of anything worthwhile to respond to is all. Another batch of youngsters have taken over, and the "help" and "questions" they are dealing out are, well...

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1425
my advice is not that bad is it?

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 14940
Hi Brad!

My integrated amplifier was a Nad 3155 before I buyed the Adcom duo.

deathoob

Not bad! A Onkyo will be interesting also!

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15364
I dont have a lot of respect for nad because i have one of their 500 dollar cd players and it went bad in a year

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13873
Well, let's see.. The Adcom I purchased is the 555 Mk II, which is actually a Nelson Pass design, and if you know anything about amplifiers, you know who Mister Pass is. The 555 is an amazing amp, for something that sold new for $600, which in the amp world of home audio is considered lower mid to entry level pricing. The editors of Stereophile magazine actually preferred the 555 Mk II and even the original Mk I to their at the time reference amplifiers in their personal systems they used for comparison when writing their reviews, which is an amazing feat. The 555 was Adcom's wonder-amp when it came out, taking their design up to a new level of design and production. Where it was made, in light of this, bears little notice to me. I'm currently using it on the KEFs in place of my Krell KSA-200 and Aragon 8008BB. As for what I am using as a pre-amp, in this case the KEFs are not used strictly for 2.0 audio, but in my HT system, so the amp is simply run through my flagship Onkyo NR5008 AVR, with the KEF Kube 104/2 EQ in the tape monitor loop. I do have a GFA-1 pre-amp but it's set aside for the time being. I may move that and the 555 to the second pair of restored KEFs later for critical listening and switch back to the Aragon later, depending on how the DIY Pass amp I'm thinking of building turns out.

The KEFs are very revealing, yeah. I actually enjoy that, though as I have a beef about cheaply mastered CDs that are mass produced with little concern from the music lables. I like to stick with better CDs when I can, like MFSL or Telarc when possible. At the moment I'm waiting for parts to get here to build a new power supply for the KEF Kube, since the one I just acquired was sans PSU.

I've also been giving thought to buying a used vintage Onkyo Integra amplifier, because I've always had love for those things. I want to pick up an M-series M506RS or M508. Those black chassis with the green backlit VU meters are just so sexy, and for an amp that's 20+ years old, they have some serious balls that clang.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 14953
Glasswolf

The 535 and the 545 was the same amplifier using same board plate then same power supply, the big add for the 545 was 12 Transistors against 8 for the 535, 2 transfo for the 535 then one big for the 545, the Guy of Rotac electronic in Québec city furnish the complete service manual for both ampli. I added a fan to cooling the amplifier.

The GF1 is less good as the my GTP-750 with a tuner built-in!
I have also a cd player GDC-575 Class A which run on 80 volts preamp but something is broked, no sound so I use my Blue ray DVD to listen my music, one day I will make it back on the road!

Unfortunatly the new line of Adcom are not as good than older!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13875
actually the 535 and 545 aren't quite the same amp, as for one, the 555 is bridgeable, where the other two are not. I did make one error above, though. The 555 Mk II sold for $800. The Mk I sold for 600. There is a new 555SE2 out now, too! It's an updated version of the Mk II, and I see it selling for $850-1300. I have the chance to buy a pair of 545 Mk II amps as well, and an Adcom pre-amp, but I just didn't have the money at present to pick them up from the person from whom I purchased the 555. If the 545s had been able to be bridged, I'd have gotten them as well to run my center channel and surrounds. I may still go that route and just use one 545 to bi-amp my bi-wire center channel speaker. I'm not sure yet. I do have the optional top fan plate for the 555 as well, which is a nice option. If I was setting this up for purely audio, I'd probably go with something like a Levinson pre-amp and a CD transport, but like I said, this is a home theater setup in the livingroom, so the Onkyo AVR does just fine. It also allows me to use an automated Auddissey EQ program to adjust for room acoustics, which is handy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us