Getting a smaller pully for Alternator got a question

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Twp., MI United States

Post Number: 1507
The current pully I have is about 2" diameter the one I will be buying from mechman is 1.75"

a) Will this improve my idle voltage?
b) Will I need a smaller serpentine belt?
c) What size belt should I get if I need a new one?

I think the answers to a and b are both yes, but im not positive.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 8272
it will improve your idle power since the smaller pully will do far many more rpms because of its small diameter.

not really you will need a another belt because your car has the tensioner belt that adjust depending on the belt length and tightens.

.25 inch is not too big so the belt tensioner will work with that pulley no problem..

but just check it out just in case

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11354
Yes it will increase idle output.

And yes you should get a new belt. The existing one would work but its not recommended. The tensioner usually has an indicator or notch on it that shows when the belt has stretched too much and needs to be replaced... changing the size of the pulley and using the same belt would throw that off... As for what size belt you'd have to figure that out yourself.
Mark where the indicator is now, put new pulley on, get a belt a bit shorter and look at it.. if its still not lined up try an even shorter belt, until you find the correct length.

Go to an autoparts store and do it there, they should let you try a few different belts.

Silver Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 435
How much is that pulley gonna cost ya. I'm currently looking for a smaller pulley myself. Have a 48mm or 1.9" pulley now looking to get like a 44 mm pulley or something. Thanks man. Sorry I have no input for ya as I have/had the same questions

Gold Member

Post Number: 1508
The pully is going to cost $20 plus $9 shipping. Just email mlogan@mechman(dot)com

Thanks for the input guys.

Silver Member

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 436
That's not bad at all. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2431
1. It will improve the amperage because the rpm of the alternator will increase. Depending on your alternator you could gain quite a bit of low end output.

2. It depends on how tight your factory belt is. Most vehicles have a lot of room to play, if you don't want to spend the cash up front I would try your current belt and buy a smaller one if it isn't tight enough. The difference is probably about 6mm, and most vehicles will have no problems.

3. If you need a smaller belt just ask the parts store employee for the next size smaller. Napa is great with that normally, where many places can only search by part number.

20 plus shipping is a good price, zack I wish the 44mm you're looking for was more common and less expensive.

Good luck to both of you with it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1510
the 44mm is about 1.732 inches so i wouldnt think there would be a huge difference between the 1.75 and the 44mm.

Thanks Troy.

I noticed that my voltage goes up to peak voltage by giving my car just the slightest amount of gas. So hopefully the smaller pully will do the trick. If it does it should completely solve my electrical problems

Gold Member

Post Number: 2435
There isn't a huge difference between 44 and 48mm, but the 48 or a 49 is much more common. Its more a matter of supply and demand on the 44mm.

Silver Member

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 437
So going to a 1.75" pulley won't help my situation much ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2440
It may. The 44mm is about 9% smaller. Like I said 4mm isn't a huge difference when you look at as a number, but 9% is. You will gain some output at idle, maybe 20 amps or more depending on the alternator.

To me it would be worth it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1511
1.75" is 44.45 mm so I would say it is close enough to a 44 if you cant find a 44. The difference would be like 1% wouldnt it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2441
Many places round the 48 mm conversion to 1.75. Honestly you would have to ask them what the actual od is.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1512
I will be pissed if thats the case because I already ordered it. WTF Why the hell doesnt America switch to the metric system? Its so much better.

So since it is in between both 2" and 1.75" they just call it 1.75? Gheyy.
Perfect example of why the metric system is better.

/rant

Anyway I hope thats not the case.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2442
They may machine their own pulleys no need to get angry. Also most high output alternators come with 48 or 49mm pulley. That's what I use.

I love the metric system, especially when you're talking about small objects.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1514
Okay so when he said 1.75 he meant it? lol

I used to hate the metric system, but since I have had so many science classes lately I understand it a lot better and it makes much more sense.

Oh and Zack I found a 44mm pulley if you are still looking. Third one down. http://www.cpgenerator.com/overdrivepulleys.html

Silver Member

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 438
thanks that looks like the right one. im still going to email mechman and see if they got a cheaper one.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2445
That's the exact link I emailed you a few days ago Zack. If Mechman can get you one for less go for it.

MDucka I honestly don't know what size it is, they may machine their own stuff, but common sizes are 44mm, 48, 49, 54mm.

We're just taught standard from a young age, but once you get some time working with it the metric system makes much more sense imo.

Silver Member

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 439
Never got it lol I was wondering if you were gonna get back to me. So that's it for sure?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1515
I emailed Mechman and they told me it is a 46mm pulley. Had I not already ordered it I would have gone for the 44mm but whatever.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2449
what vehicle do you have? For the price difference I would go with them honestly.

Silver Member

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 440
You askin me or him? And who do you mean by them? Mechman or cp?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1516
Yeah idk who you are asking either, but I have a 99 olds alero. I think I have 54mm pully currently so even going to the 46 should make a good difference. I will probably have it this comming week.

I wish so badly that I owned a 2000 suburban and could just get Troys 4 alt bracket lol.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11371
Or pretty much any GM truck, you can get a CS144/AD244 alternator on there and have plenty of power for most systems with just one alternator

Silver Member

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 441
just ordered the 44 mm one from cp. hope that does the trick. thanks for giving that link mducka, and thanks for the input troy

Gold Member

Post Number: 2456
I was saying Zack should go with the 44, but MD with the Mechman. Hope it helps fix both your problems. MD buy a suburban! Really though I'm working on tons of brackets so it may not be too long before one is available for your car.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1520
I have wanted a suburban for the longest time, can afford one ATM

But my dads engineering firm might be selling a 00 suburban 2500 that they used for survey and they usually sell them pretty cheap because they are trashed on the inside, but might make for a nice project. The last one they sold was the same and i think they sold it for 3 or 4 grand and it only had like 88000 miles on it. But it would be a ton of work. the whole inside would need to go or be cleaned up and it doesnt have power windows or locks} ftl, but I could probably install some if I wanted.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1522
Got my new pully. Its slightly smaller than my current pully. Only trouble is now i need to go out and buy an alternator pully removal tool. Unless someone knows how to do it safely and without buying any special tools.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11390
Post pics of alternator and pulleys.
If its a CS130 alternator which i think it is, i can show you a way to do those with basic hand tools.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2463
You can either take it to advance or a tire shop and ask them to pop it off with an impact wrench. It probably takes a 7/8 socket. Most places will do the swap for free or like 5 dollars.

If you have an air compressor you can buy a used wrench and socket set for around 50 dollars if you shop around.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1523
Well I went to Murrays/Orielys and they said they would do it, but I would have to take the alternator off and bring it in... Well I cant do that since I only have one car.

The nut on my alternator is 24mm and it is threaded to a bolt with an allen head on it.

Pics of alt and new pulley.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 2466
What output alternator is that?
After seeing the picture I'm going to agree with ms, if you don't have enough output after swapping pulleys upgrade to the ad244.

I would try another shop to see if they'll do it if you remove your serpentine belt.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11399
Ah, to get that off you're going to need a hex socket that's hollow all the way through... i have one i forget where i got it from

Gold Member

Post Number: 1525
I got it from Motor City Reman. It is supposed to be 200amp, but I cant be sure since it came in some random alternator box with 200amp litterally written on it. I dont wanna trash talk MCR, but Im not sure if I would go with them again just because I am not positive what they gave me. I went with them because glasswolf recommended them, they were the least expensive 230free shipping, and I wanted to support a local business.

Troy, thats a truck alternator. I dont think it would fit.

My cousin is a mechanic I'll probably have him swap it out for me this weekend.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3561
Lookin' good Kev.

What the f is up with you and upgrading the system all of a sudden.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11402
a CS144 can be put on most vehicles with a CS130 stock, just have to get one with the correct mountings to match the stock one. as long as the clearance in the engine bay is there it is easily done. just need a longer belt. but in your pics it looks like space is limited so maybe on yours it can't be done.

" I wouldn't go with them again just because I am not positive what they gave me. "

So you'd be happy if they stamped 200 amp on the case or something?... you still don't know whats actually inside it... it should look just like the stock alt since it's built in the same case, just beefier internals.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1526
Whats up Snow? havnt talk to you lately whats goin on.

quote:

What the f is up with you and upgrading the system all of a sudden

I have money now lol... well had money, I was working 40+ hours a week all summer. Now that school has started I hardly work and the upgrading is slowin down.

quote:

a CS144 can be put on most vehicles with a CS130 stock, just have to get one with the correct mountings to match the stock one. as long as the clearance in the engine bay is there it is easily done. just need a longer belt. but in your pics it looks like space is limited so maybe on yours it can't be done.

Dude, I dont know what your talking about with this. Troy said to upgrade to the ad244. And the CS144 has less output than my alt(maybe not at idle, but Im workin on fixing that).

quote:

So you'd be happy if they stamped 200 amp on the case or something?... you still don't know whats actually inside it... it should look just like the stock alt since it's built in the same case, just beefier internals.

Well with it just written on the box I feel like they could have accidentally or intentionally put something other than a 200amp in the box. A birthsheet would be nice. But thats probably why the alternator is cheaper.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2470
Either one of the large case alts could be rebuilt to do more than the small case, I just like the ad244 more.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1530
I got the new pulley on yesterday. Seems to be doing the trick, my voltage stays above 13.8 even on the strongest bass hits. Always at 14.2 or higher at idle with nothing playing(14.4 or higher while driving). My voltage was actually up to 14.9 for a while this morning.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11416
Glad to hear it. MCR makes good alts.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1531
Would a capacitor be useful in my situation to keep voltage more steady?
Are there any quality capacitors? Most of them seem to be made by bad companies like boss, Lightning Audio, SPL, Volfenhag, power acoustic, ect. Obviously I wouldnt want to pay that much because I could just buy a better alternator.

I read all of Glasswolfs papers about capacitors and from what I understood it seems like one would work well in my situation because I have the charging system to keep the capacitor charged. I just need a little boost for breif periods of time when the alt is not enough to keep me at 14volts, but the batteries have not begun to help bacause I havnt dropped into the 12volt region.

As of now my voltage bounces rather quickly between about 13.8(it might go lower, but it changes so fast and my voltage meter has a digital display which makes it hard to read the difference between quick number changes so it always looks like 13.8) and 14.4(or higher) and just that slight change causes a little bit of headlight dimming

For the record I am embarrassed to even be asking about capacitors.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11429
" Would a capacitor be useful in my situation to keep voltage more steady? "

Come on, have you not been on this forum long enough to answer your own question?

" Are there any quality capacitors? Most of them seem to be made by bad companies like boss, Lightning Audio, SPL, Volfenhag, power acoustic, ect. "

Hmm, all companies that make junk. I wonder why that is

That slight drop in voltage is a result of the alternator's voltage regulator not being fast enough to match the huge spikes in current draw from the amp, and there's nothing can be done about it. It's simply just the way the regulator works, it will never be fast enough. As long as you don't go below battery float voltage (~12.5v) your electrical system is working well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2481
x2
sounds like the alt is working fine.

Bronze Member
Username: Thelonewolf1985

Post Number: 45
hmm time to convert to a nuclear reactor? that is the norm, my old car at idle would dim a little when it went through its cycles if the ac would kick on or w/e it really is just your regulator not able to keep up. now if only we could make quantum regulators...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1532

quote:

" Would a capacitor be useful in my situation to keep voltage more steady? "

Come on, have you not been on this forum long enough to answer your own question?

Yeah yeah I know. Its just annoying to have the lights dim. Makes my car look ghetto... not exactly the look im going for. Ohh well

Gold Member

Post Number: 8399
you know what they call a quarter pounder with cheese in france???

Gold Member

Post Number: 1533
A royale with cheese.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8400
you know why they call it like that ???

Gold Member

Post Number: 1534
they use the metric system so a quarter pounder wouldnt make any sense.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3566
Just give up Rob.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8401
i was following pulp fiction dialogue..

you people are lame

and boring

Gold Member

Post Number: 1535
i got it. I just figured I would answer the questions rather than ask why when I knew the answer.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1536
Gotta love cold weather... 15.1V today when I started my car.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15343
i got an adjustable voltage regulator for when i want to pump up the juice

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 14945
sean
Overvoltage is not too good for the battery!!!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15363
im talking about for competitions its short time periods but thanks for the warning

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 14952
OK!!

Which voltage you are able to put with this regulator?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15365
I havent installed it yet but I would be limited to 15.1 volts i believe resting in my competitions I rest at 13.8 with my ho alt so i was looking for an edge

Silver Member

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 443
i got my smaller pulley put on. its making a he1l of a difference not only at idle, but overall its performing much better. my alt has a set point of 14.5 so it doesnt go any higher then that but it stays at 14.5 much longer now. voltage is only dropping .2 volts once the alt gets hot. and drops to 13.9 at stops(when hot) as opposed to 13.1 with the other pulley. it was definately worth it

Gold Member

Post Number: 2499
Glad to hear it worked out.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15422
anyone know what size pulley my 1995 ford taurus gl 3.0 liter has and what pulley i can go with to get a smaller pulley

Gold Member

Post Number: 1538
just measure the diameter of it in milimeters, from there we can figure out what would be smaller.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us