Need some helps buying new subs...

Bronze Member
Username: Gdogg21

Forest Grove, Oregon U.S.A.

Post Number: 31
I am looking to get a couple new subs for the back of my Jeep wrangler. So space is limited. I have a US Amps MD3D which is around 2000 WRMS and 10 in subs are the safest bet to be able to fit back there, but I've seen people fit dual 12's.
I am looking for a couple of subs that are around 1000 WRMS and dual 4 ohm to take advantage of the 1 ohm wiring option. My budget is around $300 per sub. I have looked around but most of what I've found is either not enough RMS or is a 12 in. sub or bigger, or isn't the right ohm's. Any advice or help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance, everyone.

--Royce

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1365
the sundown SA 12's are rated at 600 but have been known to take 1k daily, the FI q's are 1k and can be customized to your liking as can the FI BL's that also rms at 1k, or 1 btl that rms's at 2k. also a sub with dual 1 ohm coils can be wired at 2 ohms and two of those can then be wired to 1 ohm final load.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Any idea on pricing of any of these subs? I have heard bits and pieces about the FI stuff.. any opinions? Or preferences? Also where can I buy them at if I go that route? I found this website

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154c9a8d8429590/s hopdata/0050_Speakers/0030_Q/product_overview.shopscript

Is that the official website and the best place to get them at?
Also, are these subs more for SPL or SQ.. a little of both? Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11391
iirc weren't those merlin amps the ones that were way overrated?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
I never had it bench tested.. actually bought it from a guy on here like a year and a half ago or so? He said they do rated power with the proper upgrades? So not sure exactly?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16700
fuse rating on ur amp ?....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
there are 6 40 amp fuses

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
there are ( 6 ) 40 amp fuses

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1369
UHMMM that means that that amp should be able to put out ~2764.8 watts.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
well so then was my estimate of an RMS for a pair of either 10's or 12's to run around 1000 RMS each a good estimate?

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11400
actually the math comes out to right around 2000w for that fuse rating when you account for efficiency. so maybe that is a good rating.

Only reason i said something is i remember one series of the merlin amps being way overrated.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
well 2000 RMS is what I planned on for running 2 subs. So that sounds like it's still a good number to shoot for. I used to run 2 Eclipse SW9102's and they just pounded my Jeep.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1372
class D
240*14.4*.8=2764.8
240*12.8*.8=2457.6

class AB
240*14.4*.6=2073.6
240*12.8*.6=1843.2

thats my math any way, if it is a class ab amp then yes my first math was wrong. sorry.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Well I don't know anything about the math part, that is entirely beyond my knowledge. I know it's a 2007(i suppose I really don't KNOW) and the guy said it has the AX power supply which made it more efficient then the 2006 models, and he said that it will do 2000+ fairly easily.
But that's just taking him at his word. Like I said, i bought it from a gentlemen on here a couple years ago NIB. Played it for about 8 months daily and then the Eclipse 9102's(i got used) developed some nasty cracking in the surround and I was forced to remove them from my vehicle and didn't replace them.
Then I paid a gentlemen from Arizona whom I'd know for a few years for a custom box and some subs, that over a year and a half later he decided to never send and not to continue contact. So I am trying to rebuild it and knew no better place to get some good advice then here.
That being said, where does that leave me?

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1376
2k at what ohm load?

screwed out of the cost of sub's and box.

and you have come to the right place.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
I will be running them at 1 ohm to get the 2000 rms out of the amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Oh, and a little over $700 for the subs and box FYI (that never came).

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11401
i use 12.0 volts to simulate the realistic brief voltage dips that will happen even with a good alternator. and 70% for effeciency for class D amps... there are not many class D amps 80% efficient at 1 or 2 ohm... the rating they give you is almost always 4 ohm...

so IMO

(240 * 12) * .7 = 2016

is a realistic calculation. still only an estimate tho.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1378
fair enough

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Well I currently do have a HO alt and am running a single red top optima, but will be doing a dual battery setup within the next month or two. So what's the scoop on the FI subs? SQ? SPL? What could I expect from them and which between the FI q and the FI BL would be better? What's the difference between the two?

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1379
FI subs are full range, the Q is a SQ driver the BL is SPL in the 1krms range with options, then the BTL is 2krms + options.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
well i definitely want SQ.. I want it to be loud but I imagine running it at 1000 rms x2 would get plenty loud in my Jeep wrangler.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Are there any other subs to consider for that number of watts rms and around my price range? Also is the website I posted earlier the best place to buy those subs if I choose to go that route?

Silver Member
Username: Stubbs563

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 167
I am posting without reading anything above, so sorry if you have answerd this already, but does your wrangler have the hard top or the cloth one, and if someone could answer, how much sound would you lose if you did have the cloth top

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
I have the hard top. And have a few friends that have the soft top. I don't really know how you expect the question to be answered.. but you loose alot of the sound from a hard top to a soft top. I never really realized it until I bought my wrangler almost 5 1/2 years ago since before I bought one every wrangler I had been in had been soft tops, and most of which had decent stereos in them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Having a soft top on isn't quite the same as my jeep with the top off, but it's pretty close. I can't hear my subs(i hear speakers, but they don't sound like subs) with the top off, and with a soft top you sorta hear the subs, but it's really no comparison to how it sounds with the top on.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1381
yes if you are buying FI subs you order from them directly and they build your sub from the ground up for you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us