Savard dual tens

Username: Boogieman

Post Number: 1
hi all, i was up in the storage shed today and came across a savard box i have held on to for years. it still has the 2 10 inch rap woofers in it ! i know they are old but my question is about the box.

i have 2 jl audio 10 w 0-4's and i was wondering if anyone could tell me if the box would be any good for the jl audio subs. the original subs are still intact but the exposed woofer needs a surround and im sure if i put some power to the one behind it , it to would probably need a surround. i'll post a quick paint drawing of the box. i have searched the internet and found nothing resembling this box with the way the woofers are situated one in front of the other. it seems to me the pressure created by the exposed woofer would interfere with the performance of the one behind it. the exposed woofer chamber has no porting however the hidden one ports out of the enclosure above the exposed woofer. i could be wrong. is anyone familiar with this type of box and whether it is a "gimmick" type design or ? i dont want to chance hurting the jl audios i got for my son by putting them in this box if it was a crappy idea by savard. i used to have the box hooked up in my van and it sounded good enough for me back then. ive read a bit on box sizes and etc. and from what i gather this box doesn't have the space required for two 10's. the box is still in good shape and i would just like some opinions on this savard design. thanks in advance and look forward to hearing what others think.

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 375
I personally would never use that. For one thing that just looks BADDDDD. Also, how long has that box been sitting around and where, could be damaged, rotted, something. Check with Bassman if ya need a box. Getting mine in a few weeks.

Post Number: 2
pemberville eh? im in swanton ,ohio. those twisters come close to ya?

the box is actually in really good shape. i just dont know about the design, with the way the woofers are placed one in front of the other one being ported and one not... it is a "savard". i would be curious as to the thought of the design. i have been looking at some of the box builds here, maybe bassman could shed some light on what provoked this design from savard. other than the small footprint. ill take a couple photos of the inside construction tomorrow, as reputable as savard was back in the day i am curious why they put TWO 10's in it the way they did. maybe they figured it was a 2in1 box, ported and unported?

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 378
Cool. Yea, they were somewhat close about 10-15 min away. I don't know if you heard about Lake High School but that was crazy. I drove by there not too long after. You out by the airport? Good luck with that box, me, I would use it for now if I had to then get a different one. That design just does not look right. Just my opinion. Look under My Project in the subwoofers forum and you'll see what I'm doing.

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Twp., MI United States

Post Number: 1499
I believe that that design is called a isobaric 4th order bandpass. Idk what you are using the subs for, but I bet you could put them in a different box and get more desirable results.

isobaric loading:
Advantages of this design are increased linearity in the speaker movement, lower space requirements, and increased power handling.

Disadvantages are increased cost, increased design and assembly complexity, and decreased efficiency

4th order: Advantages of this design are a high efficiency over a small range of frequencies and some filtering characteristics.

Disadvantages are decreased frequency response, less accurate reproduction, extreme complexity in design and assembly, larger enclosure size, greater woofer unloading and decreased power handling.

So I think the purpose of the isobaric 4th order is to try to get the best of both worlds.

Give it a try, if you like it great, if not build something different.

If this is for a daily driver just go with ported or sealed.

Post Number: 3
thanks Motha, That info was quite helpful. amazing the lack of anything available on the old savard products. i will try it out and go from there. thanks again.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 8197
that really is a dificult box only the real pros like b&w does that kind of boxed style but keep in mind their subs cost as much as 10k or even more because of their unique style but they take rigorous testing that company took years to perfect that very style..}}

so well i suggest another and simpler box im sure you can do better

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8240
Yes, it seams to be a quazi 4th order isobaric enclosure.

But, idea's of enclosure design have changed ALOT since back when Savard was still around (made in Louisiana FYI, sick subs 'back in the day'). Just looking at the rough idea for that enclosure, I would say it's performance will be VERY sub/vehicle dependent.

I would highly recommend building/buying a new box for whatever subs you decide to get.

Savard was around back when the idea of 'more cone area = more sound' was king. Design has evolved in leaps and bounds since then.

Post Number: 4
thanks for the info's. so heres what i have readily available: 2x jl audio 10w0-4's 1x massive p1000.1 mono amp. 1 pioneer deh-p3500 head unit.
my sons currently defending our freedom and i want to surprise him with some nice toons in his 1995 camao. i am pretty handy with the woodworking and can build something to specifications. the head unit is aleady installed in the camaro and it has the 5 speaker bose set up. i would like to upgrade those speakers at a resonable cost as well, as the driver door stock amp and speaker are on the fritz.anyone have a design that would sit in the rear trunk area for the 10's we have? i've seen the qlogic units that fit very well in that area but i would like to make something myself rather than pay alot of money for that. any box designs and/or sugestions are appriciated. he likes the loud bass music that gives me a headache but this is something i think would be a for sure surprise to him lol. he would never suspect the old man of doing something like this for him
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us