Mtx 15" 9500 question

Username: Mrmef

Post Number: 1
im new on here just need a little help...im about to get a 15" 9500 and i have a 1200 watt pioneer gm-d8500m amp, can i run this set up?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16586
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Amplifiers/GMDigit alSeries/GM-D8500M

# 600 Watts x 1, at 2 ohms <= 1% THD+N
# 300 Watts x 1, at 4 ohms <= 1% THD+N

that amp wont move that sub ...

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2526
why not look at audioque.com and get an aq1200?
that would do it

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2527
why not look at audioque.com and get an aq1200?
that would do it

Post Number: 2
damn i got a whole set up for 100bucks praticly new sub box amp even all the wires i sold the sub it was only a 12 jl i was hoping that amp would work....isa that the amp you would recomend dBlk?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16587
^i dont understand what u said

it is that u already bought the mtx sub ? ...

Post Number: 3
no no i got a jl sub, box, pioneer amp, and wires for 100 bucks. i sold the jl sub and box. im going to get the 15" 9500 soon. what amp would you recommended?

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1128
Are you set on the MTX? They're ok but you can do better. What are you looking for in a set up? Low end bass, overall loudness?? What is your budget?

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2528
i would not get the MTX if i was you. like SKD says u can get better.
but the aq1200 is was i recommend to a lot of people. best bang for ur buck!

Bronze Member
Username: Thelonewolf1985

Post Number: 24
I had 2 10" mtx thunder 8500s(i believe it was a while ago) and they sounded okish they were more spl than sq... i didnt really care for them there are much better subs out there on the market. it is your decision what you choose to get but i would go with something else.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16588
mtx 9500 comes in svc 4ohms & 4ohms dvc only - imho its over priced unless ur getting a good deal on a used 1

for the price of that sub new u can get a loaded Fi btl , RE MT or sundown nightshade etc that wud eat that 9500 alive ....

Post Number: 5
ive herd alot of mixed opinions on the 9500 whats a cheeper sub would you guys recommend that would out preform the 9500?? i can get a 15" 9500 for 450, 500 bucks

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Post Number: 131
wow 450 for a 9500, you could get a dd9500 cheaper than that. might check out ssa xcon, fi btl, aa havoc or mayhem, dc lv4 xl, to name a few.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1132
Hold off getting that MTX. Invest that money into a different sub and custom built enclosure.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5782
Agreed ^^

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 725
I also agree with theses guys. For that kind of money you can do much,much better. I would go with this setup: 15''Aq hdc or 18'' (if you have the room) an a Aq1200d. Now, i think thats a nice setup an its gonna cost you around the same as what the mtx would alone. Just a thought

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2534
u can get an AQ 2200 and an HDC3 15..... much much better
just get an extra battery or alt to hold up to the amp

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2535
u can get an AQ 2200 and an HDC3 15..... much much better
just get an extra battery or alt to hold up to the amp

Post Number: 6
i dont know if i wanna get another battery or amp yet and if i do it wont be for a wile, an 18....wouldnt that have shitty sql

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1255
no, the size of the wolfer does not make a diff on the quality of the sound if it's implemented right. my 15" sounds amazing.

Post Number: 7
i got room for an 18 whats a good quality 18 that will have good sql

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1256
https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn154c74df94dd9ea/shopdata/0050 _Speakers/0030_Q/product_overview.shopscript

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1133
The Fi Q's or a SSA Xcon would be a good choice. If you wanted to go with one 18 and run a good amount of power, one Xcon is rated at 1750 rms. Pretty sweet woofer. Also, the size doesn't effect the quality of your sound. Going larger is only going to give you more and better SQL. More cone area means more air movement. Same SQ driver, just moving more air.

Post Number: 8
what about an fi btl thats the deal with that one, is it strictly spl or will it sound good too

Gold Member

Post Number: 5785
BTL is known as mainly an SPL driver. But some people are very pleased with the sq they can get out of it.

Post Number: 9
im thinken about going with the ssa xcon any other opinions on it, also what amp should i run?

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1135
SAZ 1500D

Gold Member

Post Number: 5786
xcon is a very nice speaker imo. stays pretty damn clean all the way around. If you are leaning towards that xcon, like dooley said, a SAZ-1500 would work perfectly. Those xcon's can take some abuse.. get them in the right kind of enclosure built to specs and you will be surprised..

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1137
Fo Sho. If you need an enclosure hit this man up above my post

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16598
xcon rated 1750wrms

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/15%22-SSA-XCON-D1%7B47%7DD2.ht ml

i know the sundown1500d is underrated but its always advised u use a amp with a little more power that ur sub needs so ur amp has headroom ... IMO id pick a audioque 2200d $389 shipped which wud be cheaper than a $500 1500d sundown ...

Post Number: 10
whats the spl like on the xcon and with that audioque 2200d would i have to run another battery or a high-output alternator?

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1138
You would probably need a HO alt yes. Having head room is always a good idea as Rovin suggested. If you arn't looking for a major under taking with electrical upgrades, etc. You may just want to do an Fi Q with a clean 1k rms running to it. There's a SAZ1000D going here for $225 shipped. http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51460

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
would i need a high output alternator with the sundown 1500d

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1258
you would be on the border, i run a saz-3000D @ 2 ohm's (~1600+ watts) i only dim a little dropping to ~ 13.1V from 14.4. it just depends on your car, i still need one, just broke.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
haha arnt we all broke, i dont think i got the cash for a saz-3000d

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1259
lol the saz-3000D @ 2 ohms is pretty much the saz-1500 @ 1 ohm.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16603
what amperage is ur stock alt ? ...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
136 im pretty sure

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16606
this says it all :

so even thought ur ride has a rather high amperage most of it is being used to power ur car & not much leave to power ur stereo

u shud take the advice already posted above & do a audioque 1200d with a hdc unless u think that wont be long enough for u & ur willing to buy a ho alt ....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
thanks for all the advice just one last thing how dose the xcon compair to the hdc3 if its that much better ill just save up and get the ho alternator

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1143
HD3 is a fine woofer, but its going to be more for SPL. If you're looking for loud and overall SPL, the HD3 is fine. If you're looking for the sub to be more musical and provide a degree of SQ go with the Xcon. IMO the Xcon > HD3 but it all depends on what you're wanting out of a system. I also prefer how the Xcon looks.

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2537
i have a sweet design for a 15 inch HDC... folded horn design.. works really well! its gets loud, and low and has nice SQ too.
email me at worrblade at yahoo.com and i can send u the design

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
so the hdc3 is a spl woofer, it wont sound like crap though just not as good as the xcon gottcha

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
so the hdc3 is a spl woofer, it wont sound like crap though just not as good as the xcon gottcha

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2538
i wouldn't say its an SPL woofer. its a little mix of both but learning more to being loud. it wont sound bad..

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1712
If you live close to Massachusetts let me know. I'm trying to get rid of two HDC3 15's. They were used maybe a month or two.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16609
^why man , u just bought those ...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
im pretty sure ive made my decision 18" fi q with a aq 1200d

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 741
Excellent choice! I love my Q,i think you will be happy with it.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16610
awesome sensible choice that way it will be loud , ur alt shud be able to support the amp & u will get some nice loud quality low bass with that amt of cone area ....

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1713
"^why man , u just bought those ..."

I'm trying to get rid of my Integra to get a civic hatch. My next set of subs will be behind my rear sets so i can compete in a lower class. With these particular subs it was nearly impossible to keep them behind the seats due to box size and trunk space.

Also i want something a little louder>> Dont get me wrong the AQ's were really loud and would make it difficult to breath, but we all know how the car audio game works.

out with the old in with the new

By the way the FI Q (although it seems to be ecoustics top pic every time anyone asks for a sub) is an excellent choice.

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2539
^^^ louder??? ... iv seen a pair of HDC3 15s get just shy of 160 dbs...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
should i get the q dual 1 or 2 ohm?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16614
u wud want d2 with that aq 1200d amp ...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
but if i get the d2 i would only be pushing 870 watts to the sub if i run the amp at 2 ohms. or could i run the amp at 1 ohm to the q d2 so it would be the full 1200 watts

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
wait nevermind i found a wireing diagram that shows me tow to wire a 2 ohm DVC to a one ohm load

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 4407
Its refreshing to see a new person come in and ask questions and actually take good advice.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
thanks it feels good to be able to come to a site and learn so much just by asking questions

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
now i got a question about the "high QTS" option what exactly is it and how do i know if i need it

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16617
Tech.Q

Available options and what they do: 

Cooling: The 2010 Q now features a solid pole piece that allows the addition of the Helicool cooling system that will allow an additional 200-500 watts of power handling depending upon install and scenario. Bottom line this option increases thermal power handling capacity over a "Stock" Q. 

P Chamfer: This is a chamfer on the end of the pole, it helps to bring the air down around inside of the motor and helps cool the coil better. It also helps relieve the pressure underneath the dustcap. Please note if you select "Cooling" this option is included in the cooling package.

High QTS: This option is for users who intend on using the new Q series woofers in only a sealed enclosure.

Spider: This option adds an additional spider to the spider pack to help with mechanical power handling and keeping the moving assembly under control.

I Heat Ring: This option is a machined aluminum ring in the gap that lowers the inductance of the voice coil which allows it to play up a little higher in the frequency range and have better overall transient response. Please note that you can NOT select low Qts and the I Heat Ring options together. 

Past Q options: The 2009 and earlier Q series woofers allowed for a "BP" option which was a machined aluminum compression plug to the pole which helps channel all of the air under the dustcap around the coil for better cooling. To aid with this increased airflow we also added 6 axial cooling channels in the top plate. Along with increased thermal capacity comes the addition of an extra spider and a changed spider pack. All of these features increase power handling from 200-500 Watts depending on the application. We no longer offer this option with the 2010 Q series woofers. This is simply for reference for people who want to know what past options were offered. 

Enclosures: Q 10 -- We recommend using a sealed box in the neighborhood of .2-.6 cubic feet of volume (after all displacements for those wondering).
For ported boxes we recommend using .5-1.2 cubic feet from 28-33Hz tuning with 12-16 square inches of vent per cuft of enclosure. 

Q 12 -- We recommend using a sealed box in the neighborhood of .8-1.5 cubic feet of volume.
Ported box we recommend using 1.8-2.5 cubic feet @ 28-33Hz (I personally think that a 32hz tuning is optimal, and has the most output and is still the most musical daily driving). Use 12-16 square inches of vent area per cubic foot of volume.

Q 15 -- We recommend using a sealed box in the neighborhood of 2-2.6 cubic feet of volume.
Ported box we recommend using 2.8-4 cubic feet @ 28-33Hz. Again use 12-16 square inches of vent area per cubic foot of volume.

Q 18 -- We recommend using a sealed box in the neighborhood of 4-8 cubic feet of volume.
Ported box we recommend using 6-10 cubic feet @ 28hz tuning, you can tune a little higher if you wish but we recommend keeping it under 32hz. Again the same 12-16 square inches of volume applies per cubic foot of volume.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
dude u have been the biggest help thanks

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16618
no prob its all there in their site

i suggest if u havent already to join

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/forums.html

& go to their Fi section .....