Help choosing a subwoofer..

Username: Antwan711

Post Number: 1
Hey all,

As you can tell by the subject line of this post, I need some help picking out a subwoofer. Four of five years ago, when I was listening to obscene amounts of hip-hop, I was stopping by these forums, trying to get an idea of the set-up I would like to have in the future. I had my eye on JL Audio 13w7s at first, since everyone spoke so highly of them (other than their price...), but then I found out about a supposedly very comparable sub for a fraction of the cost, the Adire Brahma 15''. Well, it doesn't appear that company is business any longer. Plus, that was years ago, and I'm sure things have changed a bit, anyway (though the 13w7 still seems to cost absurd amounts...). I rememeber I was looking at an Alpine deck, dynomat and some infinity front speakers, but I don't remember the exact names anymore.

So, I know you guys want to know what I'm going for. Mostly SQ. I want something that packs some serious punch, very deep and crisp, yet I'm not looking to get pulled over either. However, most of my family don't live in the city, so every once in awhile, while on country roads, I'd like to indulge the desire to be heard coming from half a mile away. Well, maybe not quite that far? Well, shoot, maybe...

I purchased my car for 2300. Its a 97 monte carlo and it has been kept in pretty nice shape. I wouldn't be opposed to being able to say that my total speaker system cost more than my car (but it shouldn't exceed it by more than 100-200$, haha). Although, really, the cheaper the better.

I read somewhere I need to upgrade the "big 3", which I assume are the alternator, cables & battery. Though, I may be wrong -_- ... Either way, those need to be factored into the total cost.

I'm not sure how many people here are aware of dubstep, but its the genre of music responsible for this sudden need of a subwoofer again. Very bassy. I can link some examples of what kind of bass I like, in order for you to best be able to help me....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRftXCiqfQ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEqljmd_nJY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4hr9BVGXRQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU-QsPcZWVs&p=E8E3E727341B121A&playnext=1&index=5

Anything else you need to know, please ask. Thanks for the help.

Post Number: 2
It should also be said that I listen to a variety of music, and balance is key. I don't want the subs to push out of perception any of the other sounds. I don't want that at all..

Thanks again..

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Post Number: 130
are you needing advice on just choosing a subwoofer or an entire system?

Post Number: 3
If someone has an entire set-up in mind, that'd be great. Otherwise, simple sub/amp recommendations would also work, and I can try to figure it out from there.

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Post Number: 132
well picking componet speakers is something you should do yourself just cause what one person likes doesn't mean you'll like it. so someone could say ohh focals the best brand ever and sound the best then you hear them and think they sound awful so ya its all about personall preference. cd players ehh some like pioneer like me others like alpine or eclipse. can't really go worng as long as you look into specs an features you want. now amps and subs, theres so many good brands out there it comes down to what you like i guess. i mean fi is definatly better than kicker but when you compare fi to dc or ssa there all pretty much equal again comes down to personall preference. one person is gonna like one brand and another will like something else. me personally id look into ssa, ascendant audio, tc sounds/audiopulse, and digital designs for subs and kicker, sundown, audioque for amps.

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1131
Interesting music. I think you would be happy with a sealed enclosure vs. ported. If you want good SQ that will sound great yet still get loud and deep, go with Fi Q (ficaraudio.com) or SSA Xcon (soundsolutionsaudio.com). Do a pair of 15s if you have room, if not 12s will do. Look into a Sundown Audio amp, possibly a 2000D or look into an Aq2200D (Audioque.com) The big 3 is upgrading the stock grounds on your car and the power wire from the alt to your battery. This creates less resistance and helps to maintain voltage. Upgrading your alt would get a great idea and possibly neccesary if you plan on running more than ~1.5k rms depending on your stock alt size. Check into Mechman or DC Power Engineering for an alt. One thing that will help also is going to be sound deadner. You can choose from a few brands but one that is favored is Second Skin. Components, Mids/Highs will depend on your own tastes and how much power you're running to them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us