Sub amp for home desktop?

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 459
id like to get a sub amp that will connect say to the back of my computer(if possible, im not to familiar at all with home audio). Id like to get 300-700 rms for cheap and willing to buy used off ebay. 100 shipped. trying to put my tc9.

Silver Member
Username: Jemone

Tucker, Georgia United States

Post Number: 362
You may not need that much power for a home environment. You will be surprised how loud 50-150 watts is in a house setup. Go to parts express pick up a sub amplifier.(PLATE AMPLIFIER). You will not get 300-700 watts for $100 even used.http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat= 505

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 460
will it conect straight to the back of my desktop and play the music my other speakers do? also woudl it just power into my wall socket?

Silver Member
Username: Boston_spl

Highland, CA United States

Post Number: 282
Yes (with the correct cable, ie; 1/8" TRS to RCA)

And yes, powered by a standard AC wall outlet.

Silver Member

Post Number: 363
Assuming you have a rf out jack in the back, yes. You will have to purchase a rf to rca converter wire to provide signal to the amp, . Yes it plugs into your standard ac outlet. Also sold at parts express.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=181-592

Silver Member

Post Number: 364
Allow me to clarify, 3.5 mm stereo jack to rca cable is what you will require. Your computer sound card drivers should handle your sound processing. Alot of computers running windows soft ware use Realtek Hd drivers now. Not exactly sure about yours.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 462
i have looked at the the sa240. Whats the from amplifier? is it neccassary? all id have to do is use low level rca(just like car from head unit to amp) inputs coming from the back of my pc and then plug it in my wall socket than right

Silver Member

Post Number: 283
Do not buy an RF (radio frequency) coaxial cable, as stated above. That is not what you need.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 463
man i cant wait to get my fi ib3 slamming my house

Silver Member

Post Number: 365
€hritoheR is right, DO NOT BUY rf cable, i misspoke.

Silver Member

Post Number: 284
No worries dude.

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 833
if you have a 5.1 or 7.1 sound card just plug in to the sub our, if not get a Y-splitter for the 3.5mm jack just set the LPF on the sub at ~60hz, well set it at ~60hz eather way. remember the IB3 is not meant to be put in a box.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 474
yea.. i was wondering about thast to... wait so can i just have it literally like sitting on lots of clothes(obviosluy so it wont vibrate ll over the place) and just leave it chilling bumping and it will sound as if its in a box? the reason i thought of this is because i found out that its a home audio sub.. not meant for boxes, which is what my brother was using them for for months, and i always knew SOMETHING DIDNT SOUND RIGHT! they were not hitting the lows properly or something, they hit the mids ok,but highs and lows just something wasnt right, as if they were "botoming" out maybe

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 849
there meant to be built in to a wall, or in the back dash in your car where your whole trunk is the box.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 14860
youll have so much more going with your own homemade sub with a plate amp than those prefab subs for surround sound give you....get ready for a treat

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13840
Ryan if you want a home sub amp, then get one. lok at parts-express.com at "plate amplifiers" for home subs.
don't mess with car amps in the home. not worth what it'd cost you to do the job right just to get an inferior result.
car systems are loud because of the confined space you're in. Not because they are magically louder somehow than a good home setup.

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 530
Ok,im realy interested in this. What exactly would i need to do this?

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 853
a sub, a box, 120V ac, a plate amp, some screws, some 3.5mm to rca cables, maybe a Y-spliter if you have a 2.1 sound card instead of a 5.1 or 7.1, some hands, some ears, and the love of bass.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 531
Idk chit about computers! How do i know what sound card i have? The only available outlet on the back is a digital audio out? I have a y-spliter on my rca cable but im not getting any sound.

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 369
theres cheaper ways than a plate amp, im actually going to get a crown amp for my subwoofer so i can really give it some power in my house. 1500 watts rms for around 350, and it does have low pass crossovers, and amps like those can supply lower impedience loads than a plate amp.
so more power, more wiring options, and cheaper price, plus you never have to worry about a hum, or making a cut out to mount it like you would with a plate amp
crowns xls1000 seems to be one of the best values for the money
behringer also has the same kind of amps, but im not sure of their crossover settings, i know for sure crowns crossovers can be used to use a subwoofer

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 858
yes the rack mount amps are better, how ever if you want something you can cram under your desk plate amp is smaller.

sean P call me @ (404) 910-3409, i will give you all the computer help you need.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 532
Thanks i appreciate it man, i got it figured out though. I just had the wrong spliter. Its all good now! thanks

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 862
lol np, btw thats my shop number so if any needs it feel free to bug me....... well not to much.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11181
An IB sub is not what you want for home use.. the only way to do infinite baffle in a house would be to put it in a wall or something.. you want something that works well in a low tuned box.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 871
i think FI said ~10^3ft

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 23130

quote:

An IB sub is not what you want for home use.. the only way to do infinite baffle in a house would be to put it in a wall or something.. you want something that works well in a low tuned box.

Actually a properly designed IB setup in a home is exactly on my wish list lol. I just wish I new for sure I was staying at my current location long enough to pull the trigger. There are some VERY interesting and powerful designs on the net about it. Do 5 minutes on a Google search for IB HT sub and you will be awe inspired. What men and their $$ will do is almost limitless. Imagine your home as part of the enclosure design and what 4 18" drivers can do on 4000w.

Yum.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 488
lol thats a sick thought paul

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 23139
It's a different level for sure. If you're into bass and HT and have the $$ and time it's a party topper no doubt lol.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us