Sealed or ported

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 368
I know this issue has been beaten to death, but I am asking for my own personal system. I am running 2 12" RE SE older model powered by an ED Nine.1 @1200 RMS and I am not sure if I want sealed or ported. I listen to mainly rap. I am looking for SPL but without the rumbly type bass. I really would like to get the SPL of a ported box but with the tight bass of a sealed box. Would this be affected by the tuning? If so, what should I have the port tuned to? Any suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1179
I think if you were to have the enclosure more toward the minimum recommended interval volume and then tune around 35 Hz to 37 Hz, that may give you what you're looking for. I'm however no professional at enclosures though, so you might want to wait for someone with more experience to chime in.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 372
Thanks Skdooley. I have contacted Bassman and asked him to go ahead and setup an order for a ported box that will probably be 4 cubes at around 30-32hz.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16642
i had 2 10s in those SE's & i know its not the same as 12s but i ran them in both sealed & ported scenarios so i will still share my experience

if u want ur bass to blend in naturally with ur front stage (like how i wanted) then sealed it is since u get a nice flat response & it will not cover ur speakers the way ported is likely to do

since u mainly like rap then u gotta go ported since with my 10s u get that sick feeling in ur body & ur head especially when the notes hit on those famous low freq songs like late night tip , put on , hypnotize etc its a great feeling if u listen to that type of music alot , kinda gets ol sometime but its nice to demo & impress ur friends & ppl .....

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 373
Sounds good Rovin, I def can't wait to hear them now. Should have my box in a couple of weeks. Gives me time to get ready for it.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16644
ur gonna be really happy ... i used to have ppl run out of my wagon when i had mine in a 32hz ported box

i kept those subs for 2 yrs b4 i sold them (which was just a few mths ago) just to try something new - never had any problem or regrets with them though

this was mine : ...

http://www.trinituner.com/v3/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=200026&start=0

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 374
Really? You put 800-900 RMS on those? Dang! I'm only running 600W each. I have an ED Nine.1. Am I underpowering them?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16646
they can take that extra clean power

just b4 i sold them they ran fine off a alpine pdx 1000 for a few mths & sounded great

iirc that Ed9 is rated at 12.6v so that amp shud do more than rated power & ur subs shud be fine too

Bm3 will build ur box to suit the power u have so dont worry about it ...

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 377
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!! Dude, you have so made me excited about this again. Been down lately, so THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16647
no problem man .....

Silver Member
Username: Perfectcircle

Naptown, Indy

Post Number: 151
I had a single 12 se few years ago. i went sealed. very nice sub. i have seen bassman's work, you are going to be extremely happy. i wish i had i quarter of his talent.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 8189
you should go the recomended space by re and tune it 32-33hz 30 hz if you really want some clean bass...

i will go this kinda low because most cars with peak at about 45hz and up

so with a low tuned box will even out unwanted peaks alil thus will yield pretty cool clean bass plus with the re se's sound quality ummm ur gonna love that extra clean deep azz bass
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us