Which components?

Bronze Member
Username: Souleraser

Post Number: 55
I was about to purchase some Infinity kappa perfect components until I saw their frequency range. I was disappointed that they only go down to 75Hz, so I decided I was going to keep searching for a different set.

I came across various ones, but there is one that caught my eye.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_10648_Alpine+SPX-17PRO.html

I like the fact that these can go as low as 35Hz and also the technology on the ring radiator tweeters which are supposed to give very good highs without being really harsh like other tweeters.

I just purchased a JL Slash 300/2 v2 which puts out 150wrms x 2 @ 4ohms. So these speakers would be getting a pretty good amount of power since they are rated at 100wrms for each side and they have a 4ohm impedance.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm also open for other alternatives.

Thanks for your help.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11126
Great amp and good choice of speakers. However your reasoning is seriously flawed there. With a 5 or 6 inch speaker you are not going to hear barely anything below ~80-100 hz. The speaker just can't produce frequencies that low with any decent volume, doesn't matter what speaker it is. That low frequency range of 20-80 hz or so should be handled by subwoofers.

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 226
ive always wondered about those type x pros as well, seem to be very good tho!
good thing u stayed away from the kappas, horrible highs that take over everything and annoys you to death, rock sounds so so bad on them.
dls is also a good company, and if your wanting good mid bass i have heard the Re xxx comps are some of the best, and cost around $300 people say it takes over 100 watts to really bring them to life

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13804
don't pay attention to the frequency response specs on components. they are meaningless.
the response is measured anechoic, and without a graph to see the roll off, you have no idea if 75Hz is where they end, or where they begin to roll off, or what. If they start to drop off at 75Hz, at 6dB/octave, they'll play clear down to below the LPF on the sub without a problem.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Would the Alpine SPX-17 PRO comps still be a great choice, thought? I found a set for $289.00 + tax.?

To Glasswolf:
So if I shouldn't pay attention to the freq. response specs, what should I really be looking for when I go out to buy new speakers?

My current Pioneer speakers(coax) are not giving me enought mid bass, so I thought Id look for something better.

Give me some more advise so I don't buy something I'll regret later, please.

Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13810
don't look at speakers. listen to them.
buy the pair that sounds good to your ears.
simple as that.

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 241
the only problem i have with that glasswolf is in my area there are no dealers, no dls, rainbow, seas, dynaudio, morel, zapco.. ect the only decent company is all mainstream and hertz, but even for mainstream no dealer has alpine type x comps, they have stuff like earthquake lol
when i bought my dls speakers i bought them solely off of reviews and the fact they win sq comps consistently. I am so happy i went in and ordered them in the blind, nothing can come close to them. but i wish i could hear more speakers, i have always wanted to hear a set of Re xxx's but the only way is to buy them or find someone who has bought them.
Im sure many other people are in the same boat as me

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
Cwruck, you took the words right out of my mouth
Although I do agree with Glasswolf that listening to speakers is the best way to make a choice.

To my misforntune, the only places I can go to, to listen to speakers are Walmart, BestBuy, Fry's and some local audio shops that only carry mainstream audio equipment. Thats why I began to shop on the internet while doing some research. I really do hate not being able to listen to the speakers that most people recommend on the forums.

Silver Member
Username: Schinner

Post Number: 105
little heads up for you, hertz speakers are said to be very nice...with lots of midbass

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11150
Let me tell you something tho.. The vast majority of the time when midbass is lacking the problem is not the speakers, its the the install. If you're speakers are not in some kind of enclosure, or in doors that haven't been sound deadened... well theres your problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us