8" Woofers

Silver Member
Username: Silvermopar

Nebraska

Post Number: 175
Just got to thinking about 8" woofers and was wondering... What pros and cons do 8" woofers have? Why are they not so popular? Do any of you guys use them? What frequencies do they produce best?

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 833
Depends on what subwoofer you are talking about, how much power it will be seeing and the enclosure it will be in. What are your goals? Are you going with 8's because of size limitations?

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 177
I'm not planning on using them. At least not right now. Was just curious about them.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16374
big @ss 21" subs are gaining alot of popularity these days because ppl love insanely LOUD bass so 8s wud only be mainly bought by ppl who dont have or want to use\lose trunk space

though some of the SQ guys use 8s in their front doors for some serious upfront midbass ...

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11119
Due to the smaller cone area they are less efficient (not as loud) which is why they are not popular

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13799
eights are good for small spaces, but they just can't move as much air as a speaker with more cone area, and more excursion.

Any sub will play 20Hz. It's a question of how much output you'll get at that frequency.

Bronze Member
Username: Allthingsfresh

Post Number: 97
hey rovin i was thinkin of getting some 8" subs jlw3's for upfront midbass but i think a few people said i wouldn't notice it or that it just basically wouldn't be a good idea.. what do you think?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5224
Yeah, I have 8" woofers in my front doors that do well with 60-80kHz. Small bandwidth, I know, but the tom tom's really shine when the 8"s are tuned that way. They're a great addition to a system with a larger subwoofer, or simply if you just want a bit of low end and don't have the money/space/desire etc. for something larger.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16376
alot of ppl think a front stage is just for "mids\highs" but sq guys have their's set up in such a way that u wont even miss having a sub & their sub is just for pure sub sonic freqs ...they sound great & to me its worth it but it takes some doing to get to that level ...

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 178
Recently, I've started to like SQ far more than loudness. I have a pair of Kicker 6x9" in the doors, getting about 60 RMS each. Would a single 8" sub on a 120 RMS be worth adding in? If so, is there anything decent for under $100.00?

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 223
well if you like sq why do you have kicker 6x9s in the door? I would recommend a good set of 6.5 components.. like dls, rainbow, dynaudio,cdt,diamond, ect..
and if you are lacking mid bass you could throw an 8 in woofer in each door. but its going to take alot of work to make all of that work out the way you want it too.

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 179
I like the way my kicker 6x9s sound. Because I live in a smaller town, I don't have the option to go and listen to several systems or go to a shop and check out different speakers. But from the systems/speakers I have heard, my 6x9s do a nice job. So I plan to keep them, at least for right now. And I have no plans to put an 8" woofer in my doors. I was simply condidering the possibility of putting a single 8" woofer in front of my center console.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5236
^ That's a good philosophy. I personally think the best sound system is one you're happy with (with still being knowledgeable about audio of course i.e. not owning Jensen and Sony Xplode). It is kind of crazy how expensive component speakers are, yet it's nearly impossible to find out how they sound until you purchase them.

Also wow, you have room for an 8" in your center console?

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 181
Well, yea, I could fit it in the console, but planned to put it in front of the console. The console is 2-3 cubic feet though. But I drive a tank, I mean a 90' Dodge RamCharger. Look one up if you like.

So... with SQ in mind, and 120 watts RMS available. What's a decent 8" sub that'll meet those requirements without breaking the bank?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13805
you don't use 8" subs for midbass.
you use midbass drivers for midbass.

completely difference response curves.

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 182
What's a midbass driver? I may have used the term "sub" too losely there.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11129
And putting a midbass in your console would not work well since there wouldn't be 2 of them in stereo.

Subs can only be run mono b/c the frequencies are low enough they are non-directional, meaning you can't tell where the sound is coming from. The other speakers need to be stereo.

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 183
Ok, thanks M.S. I didn't realize the midbass would have to be produced in stereo.

Bronze Member
Username: Perfectcircle

IndyTC sounds 18...

Post Number: 40
Not an 8", but I recently installed a 6" elemental designs sub under the back seat in my mother's ford powerstroke. Its sealed at .5 cubes. very small box required. Very impressed with it. very punchy and tight. It would most certainly fit in the console of your truck. 40 bucks off the e.d. website. They also sell an 8" for 80 bucks. Just putting it out there. My mother just wanted a little more kick. When she pulls her horse trailer the engine drowns out any factory bass. It did the trick. Very nice little sub.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us