Subwoofer hardly noticeable

Username: Rudolph

Post Number: 1
Hello people,
I'm not familiar with car subwoofers at all but recently purchased a 12" sub in sealed enclosure along with an amp.
I am quite pleased with the sound of the sub itself but the problem is the boot/trunk. I have put this sub in my weekend car, a 1989 Jaguar XJ6. The boot area is practically sealed off from the passenger compartement and the fuel tank is also located behind the rear seat. When standing still with engine off the sound is pretty good but while driving this reduces significantly. Is there a way to make the sub sound louder in the car itself? (without placing the sub on the rear seat

Any help is much appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 362
Well, what kind of sub and amp is it? Also can you fold the seats down in the back so that the bass can get right into the cabin. Thats what I have to do... and it's 2x as loud.

Post Number: 2
Hi,

It's a JL 12W3 V3 12" SUBWOOFER with a JL J2 500.1 Mono Amp. Unfortunately I can't fold the seats down.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 363
do u know what the impedence of it is? single voice coil 2 ohm, 4, or 8 ohm?

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 364
im asking you cause i wanna make sure you are getting the full 500 rms out of ur amp.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 850
I'm not sure of the exact name but there is a way of doing a blow through box, where the port comes through the trunk below your back window. Whats happening now is the trunk is so sealed off, there is no air movement inside the car. I would imagine though that making such a box is going to be rather large and in doing so you'll probaly need a larger woofer and more power running to it.

Post Number: 3
The Boss: The impedance is 4 ohm.

Shawn: I'm afraid that is a little bit too much for me..lol
I enjoy a good sound but it has to be within reason

Silver Member
Username: Boston_spl

Highland, CA United States

Post Number: 165
Have u thought about porting the rear deck lid?

Post Number: 4
I have, but it's 2 layers of sheet metal and almost impossible to get to with the fuel tank there.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 853
Porting the rear deck lid was what I was talking about.

Post Number: 5
You're suggesting I should cut a hole in my trunk lid?

Bronze Member
Username: Perfectcircle

IndyTC sounds 18...

Post Number: 36
Yes, if you want it louder you have to get the air into the cabin. I had a porsche boxster witht he same problem. mid engine and impossible to cut through the engine to get the sound in the cabin. I had to do a shallow 10" sub behind the passenger seat. Extremely difficult to get a car like that loud.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 371
if your sub is svc 4 ohms than ur only getting 340 watts from ur jl 500.1... since it does 500 at TWO ohms and 340 at 4 ohms.

Bronze Member

IndyTC sounds 18...

Post Number: 37
just curious. but you have to live in the U.K. somewhere. English car and referring to the boot of the car.

Post Number: 6
Yep UK

Scotland to be precise.

Bronze Member

IndyTC sounds 18...

Post Number: 39
Very nice in europe. over there two years ago for a month vacation. Paris and Berlin were my favorites. No one in paris was mean like everyone believes over here.

Post Number: 7
LOL they think french people are mean in the US?

Maybe big headed but mean..nah

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 373
i dont like english accents

Bronze Member

IndyTC sounds 18...

Post Number: 41
Oh man, there is nothing hotter then I woman with a nice english accent. oooohhhhhh. sorry rudy didn't mean to hyjack your thread. And yes, the french have a bad rep over here for being extremely rude and hateful towards americans. Not from my experience.

Post Number: 8
I hate English accents too.

Originally I'm dutch but I've been living in Scotland 5 years now.

But umm...how does cutting a hole in my boot lid gets air to the cabin?

Bronze Member

IndyTC sounds 18...

Post Number: 42
I don't think he is saying to cut a hole in the trunk lid. He means the deck lid. the back of the boot or trunk if you will, to get air into the cabin. Not the top of the trunk itself. That wouldn't be good for anyone.

Bronze Member

IndyTC sounds 18...

Post Number: 43
amsterdam is nice. gets a bad rap because of two streets.

Bronze Member

IndyTC sounds 18...

Post Number: 44
not that the redlight isn't cool as hell, just not the end all be all of amsterdam or the netherlands.

Post Number: 9
Personally I don't think much of A'dam. There are much more nicer cities in Holland

So the deck lid is where some people keep their umbrella? Just under the rear screen?..

Bronze Member

IndyTC sounds 18...

Post Number: 47
Yeah, in a normal car or sedan, its where the rear speakers are. normally 6x9's etc... a lot of times you can take the rear fill speakers out and use the openings as a vent to get air into the cabin. or just fold down the seats or seat. but in your case, don't think it can work that way. you just need some kind of opening from the trunk into the cabin of the car. I'm trying to remember the body of your car and how it looks. just not coming to me. its a two seater correct?

Post Number: 10
that's what I thought it was in the first place..lol

So my original answer was correct. The deck lid is made from 2 layers of sheet metal with a double leather trim on top.

No, it's a big 4 door sedan.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
here's a pic of the old lady

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/lochlomondclassics/Picture019.jpg

Bronze Member

Loch LomondScotland

Post Number: 12
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/lochlomondclassics/Picture019.jpg

Bronze Member

IndyTC sounds 18...

Post Number: 48
oh, well that shouldn't be to tough. I personally think rear fill speakers are for the birds. But just an opinion. If you have speakers in the rear deck. yank them out and fire your port towards the hole and if you don't want to pull them out you'll have to somehow make a vent in it somehow. Just depends on how much work you want to put in it and what kind of modification you're willing to do with the car to get the bass in the cabin.

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 597
haha nice

Bronze Member

Loch LomondScotland

Post Number: 13
The biggest is problem is that the fuel tank is mounted almost all the way up to under the deck lid and restricts access to cut holes, There are no speakers in there.

Bronze Member

Loch LomondScotland

Post Number: 14
But Let's say I'll find a way to cut a hole. How do I 'port' it? Cut a hole in the sub' box, attach a pipe or something to it and feed that through the hole in the cabin?

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11145
No, you would just make the opening so that the sound from the trunk is vented into the cabin. You wouldn't want a port from the box piped into the cabin by itself. Your frequency response curve would be terrible.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us