Alternator question

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 311
I stopped by advanced auto parts and they have a beck/arnley 140 amp alt for my corsica. Model number 186-6144. It costs $140. Right now i have a 105 amp alt. Im only running 1100 rms right now and want to eventually do 1500 rms in a month or 2. Im on a cheap budget and it looks like this is a pretty good price right? So could i run 1300-1500 on this legitly and this be a good buy? and yes i know its not a huge 200 amp alt or anything, like i said im on budget. thx a lot

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 313
actually, i found this on ebay for 110 shipped. Would this fit my 3.1L v6 corsica and work decently.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy-GMC-Truck-High-Output-Alternator-160AMP-96- 00-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53dd76fa2aQQitemZ360197847594QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5f TruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 314
or this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY-CAVALIER-SUNFIRE-HIGH-OUTPUT-160AMP-ALTERNA TOR-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem587d3161fdQQitemZ380057510397QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5 fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

will one of these fit?

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 824
I'd trust the advanced store more than buying one from ebay. The one from advance should do what it states and if it doesn't you can always take it back. Online would be a lot more hassle. The 140 amp alt should be enough to run 1500 rms on. Have you already upgraded the big 3?

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1621
Over the two listed i would go for the advanced one. Like said above its a lot easier to return if need b. I don't think your system will not have a problem as long as the big 3 is also done.

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 425
I think id go with advanced too. You just dont know what kind of cheap bs your gonna get online. An like said above,you can always take it back there if your not happy with it.

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2196
i would just save and get something worth while

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 316
so i should notice a difference with 35 more amps right? i got my big 3 done already

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 191
well P=EI
figure it out! haha just playing that might be wrong too lol but you figure watts by Amps x Volts so if you can maintain 14 volts thats 14x35 which is 490 so about 490 watts from that extra 35 amps, but of course theres many things that come into play that take away those 490 watts but thats just in general

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 557
i wish the alt i need wasn't $450-$550.

Silver Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 206
lol, ^^^ i know how u feel, i wish mine wasn't $649...but that's life right..

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1626
I'm with both of you on that one. My other end needed stitches once i got the bill for mine.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us