Soundsplinter battle

Username: Ryanwshaw

Post Number: 2
hi guys, i have a ford explorer and im debating etiher putting in 2 15" soundsplinter rl-p's in a ported box, 7 cu ft tuned to 28hz, 92" sq. of port area. Or doing 2 18" Rl-p's in a sealed box at a total of 8-10 cu ft. Either would be running off a soundstream pca2000d amplifier putting out about 1500w or so.
i've never done anything this big in car audio so i was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on what my advantages and disadvantages would be

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 190
you have an explorer so plenty of room for a box 14 cu ft.. go with 2 18s ported!
im guessing your wanting to be just as loud as possible, so go with that.
i would say the choices you said would be very close in output, but the sealed box will sound a little cleaner, but if your going big you want to go big, i know when i jump in a car with big subs and when i hear it doesnt pound i get disappointed and think wow thats it for 2 18s..
do it big with 2 18s ported so when people jump in they jump right out because it was just too much for them to handle. thats the right way to do it!
good amp too is that the one with dual inputs for power and ground?

Post Number: 4
i'd like to have some room still to haul things, so im limiting the box to those sizes. i know ported boxes are much louder on the low end, but i just love the ideas of 18's and have never had sealed. i figured the 18's would compensate for the sealed design's poor low extension? correct me if im wrong

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2275
The ported 15's would have a better chance of metering higher if that's what you're looking for.
2 18s sealed would still be fairly loud and sound good. I agree with cwruck though, when you tell people you have 18s there will be that wow factor until the guy with less subs pulls up next to you and is louder.

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1146
awesome choice in subs. i used to run a single 12. they get nasty low and loud. you will love them im sure.

Silver Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 205
i love subs with no dust caps, you never have to worry about them flying off

iv'e only heard good things about them man, sounds like a good choice witch ever way you decide to go.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16367
that picasso isnt really the best amp so i wud advise on changing that out later on if u cant afford it now

used to own 1 playing 4 10" pioneer & a direct change out with a orion 2500d made my subs sound noticeably lower\better ...

Silver Member
Username: Denim

SoundSolutionsAudio.com, MD USA

Post Number: 894
With my experience with the RL-p, I agree with Troy. The smaller 15's ported, will probably be louder then the 18's sealed. The RL-p is more at home in a small to mid size ported box.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11118
FYI, those amps are not very good and overrated, you're lucky if it does 1500w at 1 ohm

Also known to blow up when run at 1 ohm after a while

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16373
my picasso 2000d got a cold solder spot on it after about 3 mths however a vehicle in my country uses 10 of these on 10 15" Treo ssx & it sounds KILLER , it never goes on the meter since all the owner cares about is music playing but its the loudest sound vehicle i have ever heard

i wonder if MS is thinking about the short lived picasso 3500D which had faulty power supplies & was recalled ...

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11120
That whole series of amps use crappy power supplies. Same problem just about all kenwood amps have.

The 3500 was the worst tho.

Post Number: 5
i've had mine at 1 ohm for over a year now and had no problems with it. by no means does it put out 2000w but it puts out good power.

think i might try to squeeze 2 18's ported in a 11.5 cu ft enclosure tuned to 27 hz. would 100 sq inches of port be enough?

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 213
11.5 might work, i would try a little bigger if possible. but 100 sq in of port is no where near enough, you want 12-16 sq in of port per cu ft, so thats less than 9 per cu ft
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us